Question about flying 1 parent + children

BibbidyBobbidyBoo

<font color=red><br>AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Just curious...
We've flown many times with both parents and the kids- but this is the first time I'd be flying (from Texas to Florida) with the kids by myself.

Do I need to bring anything with me? Will there be any questions about me taking the kids with me without DH? (I'm thinking like might they think I'm running off with my kids? how do they know I'm not divorced and stealing my kids without having custody?)

Do I need to bring birth certificates to prove they are mine? Something (not sure what) to prove we're still married and have DH's permission to take the kids on this trip?

We leave june 13th and this thought just occurred to me.
???

No, you are fine.
If you were traveling out of the country you would need to have a notorized letter authorizing travel.

Hi BBB,

Don't worry,. no one will ask. You don't need any proof. If the kids are under 18 they won't need ID.

If you were divorced and stealking the kids your ex would file a police report and your name would be on the manifest at the airport, so you'd be behind bars in no time!

My wife and I have both flown with our kids (and without the other) several times. No problem at all!

Bob

You'll be just fine. :) I fly alot with my DS6 when DH cannot join us. I did notice the ticket agent always ask my son his name. They alway check his response with the name on his ticket. I'm sure it's their way of making sure he should be traveling with me.

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Okie dokie- thanks for your quick responses. I really appreciate it! Just wanted to make sure... we live so far from the airport that it's not like we can just turn around and get the things they would require. When we leave DH will be bringing in the luggage anyway- so they'll see him! LOL Well they have the potential to see him... you know what I mean. I'm sure he'll be the one helping to check in the checked luggage. Not like I can lug it around plus keep up with the 3 kids by myself. So much for any idea he may have (haha hope not!) of just dropping us off at the airport!

Thanks... glad to know I was worrying for nothing. :)

I went to AA website to try to look at my seats/etc. and happened across a link that said for families flying- I clicked that and was reading.... it said this:

Identification Requirements
Passengers 18 years of age or older are required to have government-issued photo identification for travel within the United States. However, you may be required to present proof of age (such as a birth certificate) at the airport for any children under the age of 18 who are traveling with you.

So apparently I COULD be asked to prove their age- or do they possibly mean that as like children with whom it may be "questionable" of whether they might be really 18 or older? mine are all young enough that this is not going to be a question. LOL But I'm wondering if I should bring their BC's just to be safe...

Although divorced and so a little OT, I always fly with a notarized letter from their dad (a generic one that I use for every trip and dated back a few years) stating that I can travel with them by any means at any time and make any and all emergency medical decisions. This way if anything weird happens, like a free trip to the Bahamas from FL or something while we are there, yeah right :rotfl2: , I can wisk them off without question. I also always carry their birth certificates. I do plan on having the 15 year old get his passport now that he is not considered a child (expires in 5 years instead of 10 I think) and then traveling for him will be a breeze.

As a widow who traveled with my 3 kids I was never asked for proof of age for my young children.

The only time you might be asked for proof of age is if you were travelling with a "lap child" without a ticket. In that case, the child needs to be under two and they'll sometimes ask.

Good luck. It's only from Tejas. I'll get the honor flying from Seattle on a red-eye with one connection, a seven year-old, and an 11-month infant.

The wife will be enjoying 5 days solo in Bonita Springs before we meet up in Orlando. :rotfl:

Should have set all this up before Fathers' Day. :rolleyes1

I'd never book with a connection with the kids. I've done it before solo and I HATED it even solo! Too far to go to connect and have to practically run the entire way. There's no way I'd do that with the kids.

I know it's not a long flight.. but it is arriving late (we'll arrive atleast after midnight to the resort- if not later) with 3 kiddos... youngest 4, and one 7yr old boy (and he's all boy... believe you me LOL) and oldest is ADHD/ODD. It's not going to be a whole lot of fun... until we get there I mean, ofcourse. LOL

Thank goodness for DME... going to take full advantage of that so I'm not trying to grow extra arms and hands to deal with the kids plus luggage in the airports/etc.

I've flown solo with my DD three times (fourth coming up in August), and I've never been asked to show proof that I'm her mom. It never occurred to me to bring any! I think now, just in case, I'll bring a copy of her birth certificate.

Thanks for posing the question!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!