Question about extra point allotment

ScholarAndAGent

Earning My Ears
Hello,

So we're looking at purchasing 100 points at Riviera. I would prefer Copper Creek, but I can't justify the extra cost.

During our tour yesterday, our guide said that if we purchase by the end of the month, we'll get an extra allotment of points, so we'll have 200 points for our first year instead of 100. I vaguely remember hearing this during a previous tour, but I'm not sure. The issue I'm having is I wanted to wait for our next cruise at the end of the year (Dec 6 on the Dream) to find out what incentives they were offering at that time for onboard purchased before I pull the trigger.

Is the extra allotment really a limited time promotion and do I really have until the end of the month? Or am I fairly safe to assume that I can wait until December to receive the extra allotment?

You are getting the 2019 UY points. We purchased in Sept, got an August UY and the 2019 points to use or bank. Depending on the number of points you buy, they also gave you some extras as well. Not sure if 100 qualified for this or not. 200 might have been the cut off. At 300 points, it was an extra 25.

It's not a promotion. It's because you would be getting a December Use Year. Since we are still currently in 2018 Use Year (December 1 2018 to November 30 2019), you would qualify for 2018 points. Otherwise, you would now be buying a contract within it's 2019 Use Year and you would no longer have rights to 2018 points.

If you brought on Dec 1st or afterwards, you will only get 2019 UY points. If you brought in Nov. or earlier, than you will get 2018 UY points and than get new 2019 UY points on Dec 1st. Hope that makes sense.

Sales CM likes to make it seem like they are doing you a favor, giving you a promotion, but you are just get the points you are entitled to depending on when you purchased, and what UY you purchase. However, since you are paying prorated dues depending on when you purchased, the math does work out in your favor.

Great3

Basically, you are getting your 2019 points since you are buying in thr 2019 UY for all UYs but December.

The key that makes them”extra” is that you get your next set so quickly that it’s a selling line. I mean you do only pay 2 weeks of 2019 dues.

For example, those buying now for February UY, still get 2019 pints. As soon as Feb 1st comes, you would no longer get those. But still would for the rest of the months

So, waiting until the cruise will not eliminate getting 2019 points.

If you brought on Dec 1st or afterwards, you will only get 2019 UY points. If you brought in Nov. or earlier, than you will get 2018 UY points and than get new 2019 UY points on Dec 1st. Hope that makes sense.

Sales CM likes to make it seem like they are doing you a favor, giving you a promotion, but you are just get the points you are entitled to depending on when you purchased, and what UY you purchase. However, since you are paying prorated dues depending on when you purchased, the math does work out in your favor.

Great3

There are no Dec 2018 points as the resort does not open until December. Anyone buying a Dec UY gets first set of points as 2019 points.

During our tour yesterday, our guide said that if we purchase by the end of the month, we'll get an extra allotment of points, so we'll have 200 points for our first year instead of 100.
For RIV, this doesn't make sense (this applies to RIV only): For any UY except for February, you'd be getting 2019 UY points, even if you are currently in the 2018 UY. If you buy February, you won't have any points until February 2020. Are you talking to the guide about planning to book your first trip to happen October 2020 (or later)? If so, then all they are saying is that if you bought, say an August or September UY, then for your October (or later) 2020 trip, you'd have 2019 points and 2020 points to use to book. Which would be the case regardless - it's not any "special" deal you are getting. Argh.

For example, those buying now for February UY, still get 2019 pints. As soon as Feb 1st comes, you would no longer get those. But still would for the rest of the months
Technically not correct for RIV - If you buy a Feb UY, you don't get 2019 points, you start in 2020. All other UY get 2019 points. This was annoying as we really wanted to use these points with BLT, and thus wanted to match them in UY (Feb). Our guide and others tried tell us it "shouldn't matter" because we'd be getting the same # of points over the life of the contract, but I'm not going to care so much about points coming on in February 2070! So we got August UY instead, so as not to be in an instant borrowing situation. Grrrr.

Basically, you are getting your 2019 points since you are buying in thr 2019 UY for all UYs but December.

The key that makes them”extra” is that you get your next set so quickly that it’s a selling line. I mean you do only pay 2 weeks of 2019 dues.

So, waiting until the cruise will not eliminate getting 2019 points.

Do you get to pick your UY? Or is it based on when you purchase or some other way that Disney chooses the UY for you?

Question:
When buying direct if the point cost is 188/pt. Is the maintenance fees already billed for the first year or do you have to pay in addition to the 188/pt cost?

For Riviera, the 2019 maintenance is just the last two weeks of December 2019 based on your points. 2019 is not billed until December.

So in order to get your first use year of points you would need to pay the maintenance dues in addition to the 188?

Do you get to pick your UY? Or is it based on when you purchase or some other way that Disney chooses the UY for you?
If you are a new owner, they will try to push December UY - I don't know why. But if there is a different UY that you want, you should ask for it. In our case, we had originally wanted February UY because we wanted to match another contract we already owned, but when we were reviewing the agreements saw that February only started with points in 2020.* We had to redo the papers, which was sort of a pain, but when you're making that big of a purchase, you should get what you want.

*Before everyone jumps on me for being an "uninformed" buyer, I asked if we'd get 2019 points with a Feb UY and we were told yes. Then I checked the contracts themselves to be sure, and lo and behold, not so! As far as I know, Feb is the only UY with RIV that doesn't get 2019 points. And no one gets 2018 points, even if you are currently in the 2018 UY for that month.

So in order to get your first use year of points you would need to pay the maintenance dues in addition to the 188?
I suspect that is the case but you'd have to ask them. We wanted the 2019 points for earlier travel without borrowing and we go in the fall/winter anyways.

Dues are paid on calendar year basis, not UY. Since RIV doesn’t open until December 16, owners will only need to pay for 2 weeks of 2019. But yes, that would be in addition to the $188 you’re paying to purchase the points - and in January 2020 you’ll be billed for the 2020 dues ( a full year’s worth).

You can chose. You should ideally have a UY that beings right before your typical travel so that you have the most flexibility if you want to change your reservation or need to cancel.

Dues are paid on calendar year basis, not UY. Since RIV doesn’t open until December 16, owners will only need to pay for 2 weeks of 2019. But yes, that would be in addition to the $188 you’re paying to purchase the points - and in January 2020 you’ll be billed for the 2020 dues ( a full year’s worth).

Just to add, you can set it up to pay MFs monthly out of a US checking account. But, if you buy points in 2019, you will owe those 2 weeks.

If one waits to buy in January, you will not owe dues for 2019, even thOuch you will still get your 2019 points. You will only start dues in 2020

If you buy in February, then you only pay 11 months for the points.

There are no Dec 2018 points as the resort does not open until December. Anyone buying a Dec UY gets first set of points as 2019 points.

Doh, thanks for the reminder here, we are talking about Riviera, so I forgot. Sorry about giving out mis-information. I am glad there are others on the board that is better informed than me.

Great3

Ok, so I'm still confused.

If I decide to wait until our cruise (which I may not because from what I'm finding out, there aren't really an incentives to buy onboard if its only 100 points), what UY should I request so that I can receive both my allotments in rapid succession, so I can plan something nice with 200 points.

Ok, so I'm still confused.

If I decide to wait until our cruise (which I may not because from what I'm finding out, there aren't really an incentives to buy onboard if its only 100 points), what UY should I request so that I can receive both my allotments in rapid succession, so I can plan something nice with 200 points.

All UYs will give you that but think about when you want to travel and try to pick a UY before typical travel.

The UY that will give you 200 points to use the quickest would be a Feb UY, but I am just thinking that if a RIV wasn’t on sale then, it may not be available.

Remember, everything is based on when you travel. So, think about travel times and then choose a UY based on that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter