Question about cancelling june reservation

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
We have a june reservation made with borrowed points. I was under the impression that we could cancel that reservation without penalty and the points will go back to where they were borrowed from. Is this true?

True, I did it. I’m not sure if that forgiveness will be revoked at some point though, maybe when Disney opens up.

Currently, yes. They are returning the points. I did it with a few August nights this week,

I would assume that when things are announced to open back up, that policy will change, How much lead time they will give members is anyone’s guess,

So, if you want to cancel, I’d do it ASAP before the policy goes back to normal. You can do it online and it is about 15 days to get them returned, Or, do the chat and ask the CM to do it. Most returns are taking less than the 15 days

Thank you all!! I've already had TWO cms tell me I cant!!! I called once last night and once this morning! I called back about an hour ago and the third CM also said no! I calmly asked her to speak to a supervisor and they finally did it!! I'm SO relieved! I wonder why I had almost 3 different CMs tell me otherwise. Thanks to you both!

Thank you all!! I've already had TWO cms tell me I cant!!! I called once last night and once this morning! I called back about an hour ago and the third CM also said no! I calmly asked her to speak to a supervisor and they finally did it!! I'm SO relieved! I wonder why I had almost 3 different CMs tell me otherwise. Thanks to you both!

Interesting. I wonder if it’s a sign that things could be changing in terms of resort opening and maybe we will hear soon????

Reactions: cm8
Interesting. I wonder if it’s a sign that things could be changing in terms of resort opening and maybe we will hear soon????
I think it is probably CMs who just didn't read or understand everything. There are probably lots of updates and things can change quickly.. I think most of the MS CMs are working remotely, too, so it's harder to quickly get info if a caller chances them.

It would be nice to hear something definite re a date for resort opening, but I don't read anything into CMs actions.

My May reservations that have not been canceled yet have some borrowed points. Will DVC automatically put those borrowed points back into March 2021?

This was EXACTLY our thoughts. I was under the impression that there would be absolutely no issue doing this since our May trip was literally 5 minutes to cancel, easy peasy with no issues. It took a bit but those points eventually returned to the original use year. Now Ive had several CMs make me feel like this was NEVER an option! LOL! Thats why I had to come here and ask this silly question! Again, 2 times on 2 separate days the CMs told me my June points would go into holding if I cancelled now. SO WEIRD. I am grateful they let me, but makes me think that things may change.

I didn't want to start a new thread since my question/observation is very similar. I have an August 2 reservation, and I am fairly confident they will be open by then, but I would like to see how everything is going to work and what is going to be open before I decide if we are going to go. My fear is that they will open July 1st and I will have zero time to evaluate, before I need to cancel. I am sure that at that time if I cancel within 30 days my points will go into holding.

I guess my question is do you think they will offer some kid of flexibility on this kind of situation? Either that or gives us much more information prior to opening.

I didn't want to start a new thread since my question/observation is very similar. I have an August 2 reservation, and I am fairly confident they will be open by then, but I would like to see how everything is going to work and what is going to be open before I decide if we are going to go. My fear is that they will open July 1st and I will have zero time to evaluate, before I need to cancel. I am sure that at that time if I cancel within 30 days my points will go into holding.

I guess my question is do you think they will offer some kid of flexibility on this kind of situation? Either that or gives us much more information prior to opening.

I believe that once an opening is announced, that many of the temporary changes will be eliminated,

IMO, I think they will have a little leeway with holding if a reservation is already in the 31 day mark when we have information.

Given you have until July 1st to avoid holding, i think we will have information by then. However, if you are hoping to see borrowed points returned, then it makes the decision harder because I don’t think those will be returned any longer if a resort is open and we know that.

The other issue is if you borrowed points, if you cancel you can now only borrow half. So cancelling and rebooking might not be an option.

Agree, I think once opening is announced the flexibility goes away too. Just how disney rolls with other announcements like APs.

I believe that once an opening is announced, that many of the temporary changes will be eliminated,

IMO, I think they will have a little leeway with holding if a reservation is already in the 31 day mark when we have information.

Given you have until July 1st to avoid holding, i think we will have information by then. However, if you are hoping to see borrowed points returned, then it makes the decision harder because I don’t think those will be returned any longer if a resort is open and we know that.

I don't have any borrowed points, so that is not a concern, I am just trying to use up my banked points. If we can't or don't feel comfortable going in August, I guess Christmas break would be my next option as I have a teachers schedule to work around, but then that's it with my February UY. I hope you are right and they allowed some leeway. I guess the not knowing is the hardest part and I just need to be a little more patient.

I ”chatted” online with cm about this issue on Friday and was told the borrowed points would remain in the use year the reservation was made for. Have an August 2020 reservation using borrowed 2021 points. Was told points would have to be used for reservation commencing prior to August 2021. We always go in August so am considering calling and pushing the points to be returned to 2021 use year. And I see the point of doing so before parks reopen. Thanks everyone for tips and info.

Just another data point to add...

Sept UY and borrowed ~50 from 2020 points to be used this April (half the trip is 2019 points and half 2020). Cancelled that and moved it to June. Chatted with a CM last week and asked if we could put the 50 2020 points back into 2020 and were told no. Not end of world since we're thinking they'll be open by August to try and rebook, I was just surprised to be told no.

Just another data point to add...

Sept UY and borrowed ~50 from 2020 points to be used this April (half the trip is 2019 points and half 2020). Cancelled that and moved it to June. Chatted with a CM last week and asked if we could put the 50 2020 points back into 2020 and were told no. Not end of world since we're thinking they'll be open by August to try and rebook, I was just surprised to be told no.

Thank you for sharing. It seems to be more reports lately with members being told that cancelations from June on are not being given the automatic return of borrowed points.

I canceled an Aug reservation last week and did get my points returned. But the email did mentioned something about checking when I did and since it happens on May 5th, they said, I was eligible.

Now I am wondering if that meant something?

I used the chat this morning and had my borrowed points returned without any blowback. The reservation in question was a late June Aulani trip.

I ”chatted” online with cm about this issue on Friday and was told the borrowed points would remain in the use year the reservation was made for. Have an August 2020 reservation using borrowed 2021 points. Was told points would have to be used for reservation commencing prior to August 2021. We always go in August so am considering calling and pushing the points to be returned to 2021 use year. And I see the point of doing so before parks reopen. Thanks everyone for tips and info.
Very strange answer from MS because on Friday, I found out a problem occurred while MS had been modifying my reservation a few day earlier. Instead, they canceled it and everyone upline in command was saying since it was canceled, the points would go back to 2021. If you truly are ok with the points going back to 2021, you might want to call again and push for it.

Hmmm...when I cancelled our June trip on April 29, I was told that borrowed points would automatically be put back into 2020 but it would take about 15 days. It's been more than 15 days and they're still sitting in 2019.

Just called MS to cancel our 6/3 trip. It was a split stay and all our dining and FP were already cancelled for the first part of our stay. The CM told us she could not put our points back that we hadn’t borrowed because Disney had not yet cancelled them. So I had to wait for a supervisor, who had no idea why the original CM did not just do it for us originally as they have been cleared to do so. I just need to call back on 6/1 to get 21 one time use points refunded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!