Quest Diagnostic, BS payment fee!

It just got me because I knew the 8% the charge was, was more than the 2-3% cost to use the card charged to them. An extra 5% at least, pure profit. Right?
That is pretty steep. I think just out of principle, I’d boycott that fee and let them mail me a bill. Then mail them a check.

My water bill is close to $100 a month for 1 persons regular use - I live in the county but our neighborhood uses city water…my actual water usage is @$13. a month - then they take that and double it for sewage costs - then add $20. water service fee and $40. sewage service fee…its ridiculous.

Is it a $3.99 fee for any transaction....or based on cost? So is a $48 bill the same fee as a $8k bill...or does the larger bill have a huge cost? My guess is the company providing the payment option would rather make $3.99 off of everyone than $0.25 off most people then $1k off of a cancer patient. That patient would then go to ticktock or the like and complain...and the company would write it off as bad press.

These fees do suck....but they are what they are. Either vote with your wallet or vote in legislators who will outlaw this stuff.

The rules on this are easy: if a vendor accepts payment with a card without charging a fee, great. If they attempt to charge a fee, we use a check.

"Convenience" fees drive me bonkers.
That’s my rule too, but Tesla’s time I ran into this, I clicked on “pay online,” put in all of my information, and at the end the fee popped up. I wouldn’t have bothered if I had known about the fee, would’ve just sent a check through online banking.

I think many of these companies know that there are credit cards, etc. with cash back bonuses and simply hijack those monies for themselves when making a payment. It's so irritating.

You’re close, but you’ve got it a little backwards. Companies are charged a swipe fee (usually 2-4%). That swipe fee is part of what allows credit card companies to offer cash back. Companies don’t care what rewards you are earning. They are trying to recoup the swipe fee.

I don’t agree with the practice at all. Good companies consider it a cost of doing business and accept the fee so they can receive an instant payment. It beats the old days of getting burned on a bad check.

Personally - I try not to do businesses with companies that pull this crap. If I have no choice - I will pay with a check or cash to avoid the fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter