queen or twin beds, how do you know?

aseafish

Mouseketeer
I've looked for an answer to this, but haven't found it.
How do you know, prior to sailing, whether a stateroom has 2 twin or one queen-sized bed? We're in rooms 6600 and 6602 on the magic. Any info available?

No need to worry - the beds can be made up either way. Usually when you come in the room it is set up as a Queen bed. If you prefer to have it split into Twin beds just let your stateroom host know and they will take care of it.

You should realize that when the bed is made up as a queen, it is actually two twin mattresses hooked together. Our stateroom hostess showed us how the beds were hooked together.

When my DW and I slept in the bed, you couldn't notice that they were two mattresses.

We couldn't tell the bed was actually two twins, they do a very good job of making them up as a queen size bed. I've heard some cruise lines still make them with twin-size sheets, so even if you have them put together to make a queen-size bed, you still have twin-size sheets! Yikes!! We thought the bed on our Magic cruise was extremely comfortable, and with the verandah door open all night every night we were lulled to sleep by the ocean sounds and breeze...it was heavenly!!! Can't wait to do it again in January!!! :D :D :D

Originally posted by Chattyaholic

With the verandah door open all night every night we were lulled to sleep by the ocean sounds and breeze...it was heavenly!

I see by your signature that you sailed in January. Glad to know that it's comfortable with the verandah door open in January. When we sailed in late May, it was way too hot and humid to sleep with the verandah door open.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm looking forward to January. Hadn't realized we may be able to leave doors open. It's sounding better all the time. Does anyone know anything else about these rooms? This is our first cruise, and I wish I knew the lay of the "land" a little better.

My SIL just came back from her honeymoon and they went on the Carnival Victory cruise and they had 2 twin beds put together but made up with twin sheets - so it was like they each had their own bed!! I noticed this when we were watching thier video.

I some how always thought that 2 twins made up a king size bed!!

I don't know why they call it a queen bed --- it was MUCH larger than any queen size bed I've seen before.

I have pics of the beds as double and also split on my website for comparission. Look on the secret porthole room page.

Website Linked below.
:)

Thanks for the link. Think I'd be lost without the direction I get here. Notwithstanding the great info I get from my sister.

Is it possible to request the set-up as 2 twins instead of 1 queen before arriving at the ship? It seems a shame for the steward to have to set the room with the queen and then go back and change it. Every cruise I've been on, it seems they automatically have the room set with the beds together.

Originally posted by KarenNY

Is it possible to request the set-up as 2 twins instead of 1 queen before arriving at the ship? It seems a shame for the steward to have to set the room with the queen and then go back and change it. Every cruise I've been on, it seems they automatically have the room set with the beds together.

The default configuration is to have the two beds put together as a queen. And although it is possible to request having it set up as two twins, I've heard that the request sometimes doesn't make it through to the person servicing the room between cruises.

Not that I'm surprised. It's an enormous task to service all those staterooms in just the few short hours between when one set of passengers disembarks and the next set boards. They bring in personnel from all sorts of departments to assist with the regular housekeeping crew. Special requests of that sort could easily get lost in the shuffle. I don't think it's that big a deal for the stateroom host to reconfigure the beds after you've boarded.

Technically speaking :) , a twin bed is 39" x 75" while a queen bed is 60" x 80" and a king bed is 78" x 80". So, if the twins are standard size, when put together they actually make a king-sized bed. If the twins are not standard size, they may make a queen sized bed instead.

I would guess that the twins are standard size as it would be much more economical to purchase standard size sheets etc. than to have to custom order special sized ones.

Regarding the initial setup of the beds, on our first cruise, the booking agent at DCL asked me how I wanted the beds configured when I made the reservation. On subsequent cruises, they just took all of the passenger info from the previous trip and plugged it in to the new reservation. The bed information may have been part of that, because I was never asked a second time.

However, each time we've met the stateroom host/hostess for the first time, they have asked if the bed was set up correctly. As Dave mentioned, it's probably hard to get every special request taken care of in the time they have to "turn around" the ship. This seems to be the case with life jackets, too. They try to have the correct number and size for everyone in the stateroom, but they don't always. The stateroom hosts do take care of these types of situations quickly and efficiently.

Thanks for all the input. I had this vision of twin beds across the room--even thoughh I'd seen lots of diagrams. It's much different hearing it from people who've been there. :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!