Qualifying for Member Benefits

Unit3875

Earning My Ears
I purchased a resale last year, then followed that up with a direct purchase of 50 points. I qualified for member benefits under the old minimum of 25 points.

This may sound convoluted, but I am considering buying at a different resort:

If I were to purchase direct 50 points now at a different resort and THEN sell my previously purchased 50 direct points, would I still qualify for member benefits since I have maintained at least 25 points since before the new minimums were imposed?

The new minimum direct points buy-in for member benefits is currently 75.

Unless they change the minimum to something higher between now and when you buy your new 50, I don't see where there would be an issue. You would still be in under the 75 minimum.

I believe you would. The member benefits are tied to owning 75 points minimum. However, since your original 25 points were bought under the old minimum, I think even if you bought your new points direct, the 25 point contract would still be grandfathered in.

Negative. By selling your grandfathered 50 point contract you would surrender your member benefits. Benefits follow points.

Your new 50 point contract would count towards the 75 you would need for the bennies, but alone, they don't qualify.

I think I’m reading things differently than the other posters. You have 50 points that you bought direct, correct?

So, after the buy then sell, you’d only have 50 points - none of them the “grandfather” points.

My understanding is that you’d lose the benefits since your 50 direct buy points are not “grandfathered” points. But I may be misunderstanding.

I think I’m reading things differently than the other posters. You have 50 points that you bought direct, correct?

So, after the buy then sell, you’d only have 50 points - none of them the “grandfather” points.

My understanding is that you’d lose the benefits since your 50 direct buy points are not “grandfathered” points. But I may be misunderstanding.

You're right. I got lost in the reading and thought there was another 25 bought somewhere in there. Keep those first 50, or plan to buy 75 direct to get benefits.

To confirm: If you sell grandfathered points (which you would be doing), you will lose membership extras unless you buy the new minimum which is 75 points, purchased direct

And the final twist... I bought the 50 as 2 25-point contracts. I suppose I can hang on to one of those and sell the other one, still maintaining benefits. - I dont know how useful one 25 point contract at a resort would be to me - except at 7 month window.

I purchased a resale last year, then followed that up with a direct purchase of 50 points. I qualified for member benefits under the old minimum of 25 points.

This may sound convoluted, but I am considering buying at a different resort:

If I were to purchase direct 50 points now at a different resort and THEN sell my previously purchased 50 direct points, would I still qualify for member benefits since I have maintained at least 25 points since before the new minimums were imposed?

The new minimum direct points buy-in for member benefits is currently 75.

I believe you would lose your qualified status. That 50 point contract got you in. Once you sell it and no longer own a contract that qualified before the 75 points then you would need then need to buy and maintain 75 points direct.

And the final twist... I bought the 50 as 2 25-point contracts. I suppose I can hang on to one of those and sell the other one, still maintaining benefits. - I dont know how useful one 25 point contract at a resort would be to me - except at 7 month window.

That would work.

Or just sell them both and buy 75 points direct if you've found the benefits to be of value. I guess it depends on how many points you really need at the new resort you are looking to purchase at?

It really depends on how much member benefits mean to you. 10% off this and that, an occasional after hours event to a park you already go to during the day, and access to a lounge that is not bad but not incredible either. Am I missing anything else? If you find that all worth buying in at 75, go for it, but known what you are spending that money on before committing to it.

One last question. Since I purchased two 25 point contracts before the new 75 point minimum was imposed, if I kept them and did a family transfer of the contracts, one to each of my two sons 20 years from now, would they EACH be entitled to member benefits?

One last question. Since I purchased two 25 point contracts before the new 75 point minimum was imposed, if I kept them and did a family transfer of the contracts, one to each of my two sons 20 years from now, would they EACH be entitled to member benefits?

Yes, they have said that gratuitous transfers retain the membership status for perks.

It really depends on how much member benefits mean to you. 10% off this and that, an occasional after hours event to a park you already go to during the day, and access to a lounge that is not bad but not incredible either. Am I missing anything else? If you find that all worth buying in at 75, go for it, but known what you are spending that money on before committing to it.

Gold AP. That really is the biggest one that we considered for $$ reasons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter