q4lisaR

twinglefam

Mouseketeer
this question is for anyone who has rented then bought DVC. If the renting seems so easy, what's the advantage of buying into DVC? Why not just rent when you can without worrying about expiring points, etc... Mind you, I'm on the verge of purchasing, just having last minute willies. Any input accepted.

Once you pay your buy in, your points cost less than $4 a pice, not $10 or more.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs", Karl Marx, pretty sick, huh?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If the renting seems so easy, [/quote]

I think "seems easy" is the key. I'm not so sure what is so easy about tracking down a stranger to make a reservation for you and then negotiating with that person as to what price you'll pay and having no cancellation options once the reservation is set. I'd much rather be the owner!

All good reasons, thanks. We've gone back and forth since last year and looks like we'll buy later this month. We're even going so far as to fly down from NY to purchase, as the VWL aren't available for purchase in our state yet. It's just scary, that's all! I'll keep reading the boards and getting information. Thanks again.

But after my first DVC stay, I was hooked and wondered why we didn't do it sooner.

Here are a few reasons we decided to buy instead of continuing to rent:

1. The first time we rented points, I believe we paid $7 a point. Now they rent for $10 a point. I am sure that will eventually go up as well.

2. We had a trip planned for January of this year on rented points when 2 days before the trip my father in law had a major accident (he is still in the hospital 2 months later so it was pretty serious). We had to cancel the trip. Thankfully we bought trip insurance and have received a full refund. However, it dawned on us when I called the person that we rented from that he was able to reuse/re-rent those points. He rebooked the trip for us and we just got back last week. The point is, I paid him for two trips. If I had owned DVC at the time, I would not have had to pay a couple thousand out of my pocket twice! Not that I plan on cancelling, but with my parents and my husbands parents in their 70's and 2 young kids, it could happen again.

3. I agree with the post that asked if you would rather "rent" a house or "own" it. We felt the same way.

4. By owning, we are in control of our trips. We like to plan for the future and DVC is allowing us to do that. We can customize our trip however we want but when you rent, you have to take what you can get. You can't plan now for a 2003 trip when you rent points because you don't know how much the points will sell for or if enough will be available for what you are planning.

Everyone we ever rented from was wonderful. We never had any problems and the process was very easy. However, I am thrilled that we own now. I have two trips already booked and just can't wait to plan more.
Hope this helps. Sorry to ramble!
Lisa

twinglefam,

When you go down to WDW, can you please ask when DVC expects VWL to sell out and when they expect to be able to sell in New York?

I'm a fellow New Yorker and am waiting to purchase at VWL through the mail. However, if they expect to sell out soon, I'd hop on a plane to buy at WDW. ;)

Any infor in a future post would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

Btn_PigPooh01.gif

Pooh and Piglet, I'll see what I can find out for you, sure. We got a decent flight, $-wise, and we want our use year to start in Oct. so we're making the trip down. We just got a ressie by buying points so we're staying at VWL!! Be glad to let you know how it is and how nice it will be to be out of the snow! Here we go..... :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter