Purchasing used camper -- changes to TV?

polkadotsuitcase

Disney-loving mom!
Hi all,

I may be buying/inheriting a TT this fall. The TV currently used for this TT is a 2WD. Mine's a 4WD, so it's slightly higher. Do I need to get adjustments on the camper's hitch, or will adjusting the tension bars be enough to help it tow properly? I've towed this in the past (including from NC to the Fort) and I have experienced some "Tiggering"...uh, I mean "bouncing," but could that be b/c I didn't have the tension bars adjusted properly?

Okay, guess that's two questions in one. (It's a BOGO!)

Thanks for any help!

The adjustments would not be on the camper, but on the tow vehicle hitch. You may have to drop the ball down some to tow level, but maybe not. You just have to hook it up and look at it from the side from a distance to be sure you are towing level - should be a straight line from the rear bumper of the trailer all the way to the front bumper of the TV.

I have found "bouncing" usually due to improper loading of the trailer. Too much weight behind the axles will make it bounce. Be sure your weight is distributed properly.

Also, if you plan to tow with a lot of cargo in the TV try to simulate the load while testing the hitch heights. As Ftwildernessguy stated everything needs to be nice and level. The load leveling bars need to be relatively parallel to to the TT tongue frame.

Ah, I understand. I'll have to take a look at it when I pick it up in September.

Kinda just hitched it and went without thinking the couple times I've borrowed it, but actually buying it makes me think we need to definitely get it right! :) Reminds me of the x-country trip my sister and I took back in college -- just threw stuff in the Yugo and took off. When we got home, we had a very flat tire, the windshield wipers were melted to the glass, and we were smelling burned oil somewhere around Kansas...

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.

Reminds me of the x-country trip my sister and I took back in college -- just threw stuff in the Yugo and took off. When we got home, we had a very flat tire, the windshield wipers were melted to the glass, and we were smelling burned oil somewhere around Kansas...

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.

I thought that was normal for a Yugo.

Hi all,

I may be buying/inheriting a TT this fall. The TV currently used for this TT is a 2WD. Mine's a 4WD, so it's slightly higher. Do I need to get adjustments on the camper's hitch, or will adjusting the tension bars be enough to help it tow properly? I've towed this in the past (including from NC to the Fort) and I have experienced some "Tiggering"...uh, I mean "bouncing," but could that be b/c I didn't have the tension bars adjusted properly?

Okay, guess that's two questions in one. (It's a BOGO!)

Thanks for any help!

Way too little info to even start. You mention tension bars that implies a WDH which has to be adjusted and tuned to the particular TV/TT combo and you can't just change w/o doing the proper set up for the particular TV/TT. However, with the lack of info I don't know what you are dealing with.

There are very detailed and exacting procedures to set up each WDH and they have to be followed closely and then fine tuned based the on road behavior of the particular TV/TT combo. Some even require accurate tongue wt. estimates like the Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway system to initially set up their system.

Larry

Way too little info to even start. You mention tension bars that implies a WDH which has to be adjusted and tuned to the particular TV/TT combo and you can't just change w/o doing the proper set up for the particular TV/TT. However, with the lack of info I don't know what you are dealing with.

Larry

I disagree. There is useful, universal information which can be given to this poster without knowing the exact trailer and/or tow vehicle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter