Purchasing Resale Help with Home Resort

Raven01

Proud Momma to DD
Hi folks. I'm in need of some home resort help. Here are some facts:

The travel group is me, DD2, grandparents, and possibly others. I'm trying to get enough points to do studios and 1 bedrooms (I like the kitchen). I'm looking at traveling one week a year (longer in a studio, shorter if a 1 bedroom). My DD2's preschool is out at the end of September/beginning of October, a week in late February, and then for the summer around Memorial Day, so those are the likely travel times (others are possible, but these correspond to her time out from school).

I have some mobility issues such that walking long distances can be difficult - I generally deal, especially since I have a DD2, and FP+ made it a nonissue during our last trip in December. Grandpa has some disabilities, but recently fell and has some paralysis. He's learning to walk again, but his prognosis is unclear. My planning has to include the use of a wheelchair or ECV, and since I like to minimize my own walking when I can, I want to try and avoid unnecessary walking (I'm thinking of long hallways in Kidani).

We stay in values just fine, and don't mind buses, but obviously I like the idea of a monorail resort. The reason DVC is on the table is my DD2, who loved every aspect of it when we went in December. I'm thinking if she wants rides, etc., this is the place I want to go.

Budget is a factor. I'm trying to stick to $10,000 - $15,000, maximizing points. I want 100-150 points. I love BCV and BWV like many, but will not buy into them at these prices with the expiration year looming. As a side point, my plan is to have both me and my parents (who will be contributing to this) jointly on the deed with right of survivorship.

Here are my thoughts and questions on home resorts:

1. BLT - on the table for monorail access and MK access, but honestly, not worth the extra cost I don't think, and I don't like the contemporary style of the Contemporary.

Resorts in the $100/point range:

2. SSR - Good value, good availability. I prefer small resorts to super large ones, generally. Looks kinda boring - how is the pool?

3. OKW - I think I like the tropic nature better than SSR. But the lack of elevators worries me with my specific family needs. This appears cheaper generally then SSR. Is one more updated than the other? Which one has beds versus couches in the studio? Should I buy in here then just use SSR if my father comes?

4. AKL - I'm going to stay here, just because I think it is cool. It's a little more expensive than the other two. Worth the cost? What about distance to parks? What about the long walking? Handicap access?

My dad has limited use of his arms and can't walk at the moment, but his long term prognosis is unknown and won't be known for some time (such is life with spinal cord injuries). So I need to plan for a handicapped person and just hope for the best there.

I think I need help from people who have stayed at these places, because I have never stayed DVC or in any of these resorts. The reason I'm leaning so heavily towards DVC is because the hotel prices keep jumping - if I'm going to travel to Disney every year or two for the next 15 years, makes sense to buy.

Thoughts? Help? Things I'm not considering?

My DD2's preschool is out at the end of September/beginning of October, a week in late February, and then for the summer around Memorial Day, so those are the likely travel times

Important note is that end of September and beginning of October are DVC's highest demand season. You need to assume you will be booking home resort at 11 months and staying there. I say this not to deflect any other questions, but just to emphasize the overall need to like your home and not have the idea of being able to easily switch for that time period. (February and summer are, at this time, easier, save for the long holiday in February.)

obviously I like the idea of a monorail resort.
Insofar as mobility is a concern, I think the monorail is quite overrated. Keep in mind that it mostly services the MK, and from the MK resorts it is a transfer (and kind of a nuisance) to Epcot.

Good value, good availability. I prefer small resorts to super large ones, generally. Looks kinda boring - how is the pool?
SSR is super-big, so that is something to factor in. It is nicely accessible, especially if you're willing to book Preferred and request The Springs. The pools, actually, are super-great.

OKW - I think I like the tropic nature better than SSR. But the lack of elevators worries me with my specific family needs. This appears cheaper generally then SSR. Is one more updated than the other? Which one has beds versus couches in the studio? Should I buy in here then just use SSR if my father comes?

OKW was just refurbished. SSR is being refurbished now. As a lot of us know, because DVC refurbs are 7-14 years, be careful about getting too attached to any one decor style in a resort. Subject to change. (A lot of people have had FEELINGS about stuff like the BRV sleeper sofas, the new BCV cabinetry, etc.)

OKW has two queens in the studio. ONLY studio in DVC with thsi feature. If having two beds is important in a studio, OKW is your only choice, game over. The studio sleeps 4, hard limit.

AKL - I'm going to stay here, just because I think it is cool. It's a little more expensive than the other two. Worth the cost? What about distance to parks? What about the long walking? Handicap access?
Park access from AKV is sometimes whined about, but the reality is it is faster to 3/4 parks than it is from the Magic Kingdom resorts. AKV is distant from MK. The MK resorts are distant from everything else.

Because of the resort shape, the hallways can be quite long, but I think the HC units are more centrally located. (Someone not me might confirm?)

I think I need help from people who have stayed at these places, because I have never stayed DVC or in any of these resorts. The reason I'm leaning so heavily towards DVC is because the hotel prices keep jumping - if I'm going to travel to Disney every year or two for the next 15 years, makes sense to buy.

You mention two people with mobility issues, and, realistically, I might steer you away from DVC on that basis. In all studios and 1BRs save the studio at OKW, you get one "real" bed. You then get a sofa sleeper of varying quality - and the quality varies among units in a resort, let alone among resorts. In a 1BR at OKW, it's still one bed. In a studio at OKW, it's 2 queens.

Would at least one member of the family with mobility issues be happy on a pull-out sofa? Would you be happy pulling it out, since it is DIY?

The travel group is me, DD2, grandparents, and possibly others. I'm trying to get enough points to do studios and 1 bedrooms (I like the kitchen). I'm looking at traveling one week a year (longer in a studio, shorter if a 1 bedroom). My DD2's preschool is out at the end of September/beginning of October, a week in late February, and then for the summer around Memorial Day, so those are the likely travel times (others are possible, but these correspond to her time out from school).

I have some mobility issues such that walking long distances can be difficult - I generally deal, especially since I have a DD2, and FP+ made it a nonissue during our last trip in December. Grandpa has some disabilities, but recently fell and has some paralysis. He's learning to walk again, but his prognosis is unclear. My planning has to include the use of a wheelchair or ECV, and since I like to minimize my own walking when I can, I want to try and avoid unnecessary walking (I'm thinking of long hallways in Kidani).

We stay in values just fine, and don't mind buses, but obviously I like the idea of a monorail resort. The reason DVC is on the table is my DD2, who loved every aspect of it when we went in December. I'm thinking if she wants rides, etc., this is the place I want to go.

Budget is a factor. I'm trying to stick to $10,000 - $15,000, maximizing points. I want 100-150 points. I love BCV and BWV like many, but will not buy into them at these prices with the expiration year looming. As a side point, my plan is to have both me and my parents (who will be contributing to this) jointly on the deed with right of survivorship.

1. BLT - on the table for monorail access and MK access, but honestly, not worth the extra cost I don't think, and I don't like the contemporary style of the Contemporary.

2. SSR - Good value, good availability. I prefer small resorts to super large ones, generally. Looks kinda boring - how is the pool?

3. OKW - I think I like the tropic nature better than SSR. But the lack of elevators worries me with my specific family needs. This appears cheaper generally then SSR. Is one more updated than the other? Which one has beds versus couches in the studio? Should I buy in here then just use SSR if my father comes?

4. AKL - I'm going to stay here, just because I think it is cool. It's a little more expensive than the other two. Worth the cost? What about distance to parks? What about the long walking? Handicap access?

My dad has limited use of his arms and can't walk at the moment, but his long term prognosis is unknown and won't be known for some time (such is life with spinal cord injuries). So I need to plan for a handicapped person and just hope for the best there.

A. Your daughter will not be in preschool forever. DVC is a long-term commitment. Deciding on a resort based on your expected time of travel is not of primary importance . Deciding on a UY is germane to time of travel.

B. Buy where you don’t mind staying. OKW’s difficulties for those with mobility issues is not going to change. There are some buildings with elevators but only a few. Don’t buy there if climbing steps will be an issue.

C. If BLT is off the table, then the only other monorail resorts will be PVB (Poly) or VGF. VFG is expensive when you look at the per-point cost and then couple it with the high points-per-night cost. PVB only has studios and very expensive bungalows. Not a good option for someone who wants a real kitchen.

D. SSR - I’m not a fan of it. Too big for my taste. It is so sprawling that there is an internal bus system for those that find walking to the feature pool and TS restaurants to be too taxing. However, it is regarded as probably the best value in DVC at the moment due to its later expiration date, low buy-in cost and low annual dues (which change yearly). Buy there if you don’t mind staying there. Studios are becoming very difficult to book outside of the home resort booking window but availability for 1BR villas seems to be a bit better.

E. AKV, even with its long hallways, might be the best fit for your family. Multiple HA villas, multiple elevator banks, good bus service to the parks. 1BR villas in Kidani have 2 bathrooms plus they have a sleeper chair and sleep sofa in the living room, which means not having to share a bed with your daughter.

I think you will want to go with BLT or AKL. Of course, I own at both those resorts, so I must like them, but I DID BUY THERE because I think both of those resorts have some advantage.

BLT has the monorail. It is an amazing view. You can walk to the Magic Kingdom, but maybe that is a problem. With mobility issues, the walk ACTUALLY is a good 40% of a mile to the front gates. This is a distance to walk, if you have trouble walking. If they get ECVs it shouldn't be any problem.

AKL, both Jambo and Kidani are amazing, beautiful, magical unique places, and it still has a decent length contract and a price that is only barely above OKW and SSR. I consider it to be the best value of any DVC property. AKL is actually my recommendation, especially if you want to get the most bang for your buck.

The buildings at AKL are large, especially Kidani, but that isn't necessarily a problem. Request to be on the Kudu Trail, and in a location near the lobby when at Jambo. Request near the lobby or near the Timon elevator if at Kidani, or between the lobby and the Timon elevator. (Timon is the first elevator to the south, to the right of the lobby, other than the elevators AT the lobby. I have found that Disney does indeed pay good attention to this. Make sure to call them and tell Member Services about this mobility problem, no matter WHERE you are staying, and they will often put you exactly where you prefer to be.

You mention two people with mobility issues, and, realistically, I might steer you away from DVC on that basis. In all studios and 1BRs save the studio at OKW, you get one "real" bed. You then get a sofa sleeper of varying quality - and the quality varies among units in a resort, let alone among resorts. In a 1BR at OKW, it's still one bed. In a studio at OKW, it's 2 queens.

Would at least one member of the family with mobility issues be happy on a pull-out sofa? Would you be happy pulling it out, since it is DIY?

The beds aren't a real concern. My parents would get any real bed, and as long as the sleeper sofa is reasonably comfortable, it will be fine. While we have stayed at some deluxes (Poly in the 80s, GF in the 90s, and Contemporary in 2000), I'm happy in a Red Roof Inn so I don't think this will be an issue.

My mobility issues are walking related, so maneuvering in a bed is also not a concern. My dad is the wildcard. I have no idea what to expect from his recovery, beyond I hope he improves from where he is now.

A. Your daughter will not be in preschool forever. DVC is a long-term commitment. Deciding on a resort based on your expected time of travel is not of primary importance . Deciding on a UY is germane to time of travel

A valid point, but not relevant for me. The school is 3K-12th grade, so entirely likely she will have the same calendar. The reason I mentioned that is because I am aware of the "buy where you will stay" philosophy. If I did buy OKW and Grandpa came, I'd need to get a room somewhere else, and that October break may be difficult to get at 7 months.

I also know that one bedrooms are generally easier to get than studios. If we are going every year, I will be fine with a 5-7 day vacation, but I'm not going to lie - part of the appeal of DVC is being able to go for 8 or 10 nights and NOT do a park a day. We almost never have time for pools, shopping at Disney Springs, or anything else. We go a park a day and then go home. I'd like break and downtime in there.

E. AKV, even with its long hallways, might be the best fit for your family. Multiple HA villas, multiple elevator banks, good bus service to the parks. 1BR villas in Kidani have 2 bathrooms plus they have a sleeper chair and sleep sofa in the living room, which means not having to share a bed with your daughter.

See, this is what I'm thinking too. AKV is not much more than OKW and seems more built to our needs. I'm perfectly fine staying at SSR or OKW, but if the bus service is not better/worse than any other park, I'm back to this being our top choice. I like the 2 bathroom thing too!

My daughter loves to cosleep now, but I'm not sure how she will feel in 5 years (and I'd like a night or two without little feet dancing on my cheeks LOL!).

Last edited:
as
long as the sleeper sofa is reasonably comfortable

Opinion on the sofas is wildly variable. And they can be in service 7-14 years. Even the ones that start nice get rough.

I would strongly suggest renting once to try one out before committing capital.

Sleeper sofas are not comfortable for adults. For kids they are fine, kids can sleep anywhere. But not for adults, especially older adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!