PSA - iPhone iOS update 13.5

Lumpy1106

DIS Veteran
Just FYI - can get into a discussion if you want, but Apple is quietly pushing iOS update 13.5, that "introduces the Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities". Decide for yourself if this is something you want on your phone, but if you don't, go to Settings/General/Software Update and turn off Automatic Updates before the software is updated. You know Apple, once it's done there is no going back. Personally that's a step too much "Big Brother" for me.

A representative from Apple said that in order for the exposure notification API to work, "the users still have to download a contact tracing app that allows them to participate in a contact tracing program."

That being said, the representative explained that "if a user does download such an app, one of the protections built into the API is that they can turn the system off at any time."

So there’s no way to avoid getting the exposure notification API onto your phone when you download the new update, but you do have the ability to turn off its access if and when you choose to download a contact tracing app provided by a public health organization.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/enter...phone/65-48b11422-caad-4983-9433-6801f00dd7c6

Representatives from Apple also insisted they weren't throttling older phones with the software updates so you would have to go buy new phones too, and we all know that wasn't true.

Just FYI - can get into a discussion if you want, but Apple is quietly pushing iOS update 13.5, that "introduces the Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities". Decide for yourself if this is something you want on your phone, but if you don't, go to Settings/General/Software Update and turn off Automatic Updates before the software is updated. You know Apple, once it's done there is no going back. Personally that's a step too much "Big Brother" for me.

Thank you for this. I sent to my family and friends. I keep getting the update request and will do this weekend and use the setting information. Thanks.

Everybody should do what they’re comfortable with in regard to the update.

What Apple has put in is a way for Applications to “speak to” your phone and allows for very specific data. They’ve actually put a lot more user security into the API that blocks data from being used as health agencies would probably like.

APIs are sort of like a telephone line. They don’t do anything unless there’s something on the other end to connect to. In other words, unless you download a contact tracing app, that API in the update doesn’t really do anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!