PSA: Colonoscopies!

Oops just saw this already happened. Glad you tolerated it better.

Ask your doctor about white grape juice. Sometimes having some calories to work off of will help you not feel so drained. Yellow Gatorade will help too.

Thanks. Yes, I buy white grape juice every time. Better than Gatorade which seems to upset my stomach. I rotated the fluids so I didn't get sick of any one thing.

I was unable to finish preps prior to the pills no matter how i tried Whenever a colonoscopy was suggested (I have severe Crohns) I started crying (this from a person who was had a bone marrow biopsy in the doctors office). Did the pills last time, and the doctor jokingly asked if he'd come to the wrong room by mistake! SO MUCH EASIER!!!!!!! I'm certainly not looking forward to May, but it's not keeping me up at night. Oh, there's more liquid than you indicated...at least anoter 16 if not 32 oz. ina several hour period, but I'm even allowed Coke!

Yes, there's more liquid but didn't want to bore people with all those details. Because my prep was so late at night, I could only take water after midnight. They let me drink water up until 3am. I had an 8am arrival time.

I just can't handle that much sugar, so grape juice is out for me... but sadly the sugar free Gatorade tastes REALLY chemical-ish to me, so that got nauseating after awhile as well. :/

I just got home from my procedure. Had a few polyps that the doctor said didn’t look troublesome. Yesterday I only had jello and broth. And iced tea. My procedure was early.

I tried pedialyte when I had mine and it was gross. I didn’t realize it had fake sugar and the unsweetened one was more viscous than water.

I've posted some of my journey already, but after open surgery to remove a good portion of my colon 2 weeks ago - the path report confirmed it was cancer.

Again, I'm only 47. The new screening age is 45. Do not wait!

Thanks to Flygirl's new thread also highlighting to not ignore heart attack warning signs. It reminded me to post this update.

I've posted some of my journey already, but after open surgery to remove a good portion of my colon 2 weeks ago - the path report confirmed it was cancer.

Thanks to Flygirl's new thread also highlighting to not ignore heart attack warning signs. It reminded me to post this update.
WOW, I missed this thread. I am sorry @eksmama01 but thank you for the reminder! My OBGYN told me I needed to get one this year. No time like tomorrow to schedule it along with my mammogram which is due soon as well.

I am not waiting thanks to you.

Hopefully you are doing well. :flower3:

I am sorry to hear this, @eksmama01. But thanks for sharing the start of your journey here, so helpful and encouraging to others to do what is prudent. My very best wishes, along with prayers, for a quick, complete remission. :hug:'s

Thanks for sharing a bit of your story eksmama01. Hoping they got all the cancer and you do well. I’m 52 and started having colonoscopies since in my late 20s. I’ve lost track. Probably 15 or so but fortunate to have avoided any removal. As you state, age is just an average. Everyone is different.

Wishing you warmth and all the positive vibes I can pass your way!

I just can't handle that much sugar, so grape juice is out for me... but sadly the sugar free Gatorade tastes REALLY chemical-ish to me, so that got nauseating after awhile as well. :/
I'm low-carb, and I never drink juice ... but I make an exception for Colonoscopy prep. I figure the sugar isn't going to hang around in my system long enough to be absorbed.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that ... but, actually, you're fortunate TO KNOW that you have it. Without having had the Colonoscopy, you could have gone on for years.

I'm really concerned that so many people are taking the pills for Colonoscopies. I'm repeating some information I shared up-thread about the dangers of these things. I'd heard about them, and I asked my doctor ... he and his partners won't use them. Here's some online info to back up his opinion:

Please read about the pills and the potential for kidney damage.
Here's a website: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=4521455&page=1
And a quote from that website:
Khurana and his team found that its use was associated with a 6 percent drop in kidney function six months later; that figure rose to 8 percent one year later. This magnitude of loss of kidney function is significant," said Khurana.

I'm praying for you to have a complete recovery, @eksmama01 ! I have had many colonoscopies, starting at age 40 because of my family history. I've had precancerous polyps removed every time. I beg everyone reading this to have one if you can. It's easily done. Yes, the prep is nasty, but not as bad as it used to be. The procedure itself is nothing, honestly.

I am anxious about my next 'scope. I have had bariatric surgery and there is NO WAY I am going to be able to drink the volumes needed for the prep. I can drink about 4oz, or about a 1/2 cup, maximum. Gonna have to talk to the docs about this.

My sister was diagnosed with colon cancer, with 8 lymph nodes involved, when she was 31. She celebrated her 57th birthday yesterday. DEFINITELY A SURVIVOR!

• Love
Reactions: GAN
I am anxious about my next 'scope. I have had bariatric surgery and there is NO WAY I am going to be able to drink the volumes needed for the prep. I can drink about 4oz, or about a 1/2 cup, maximum. Gonna have to talk to the docs about this.

My sister was diagnosed with colon cancer, with 8 lymph nodes involved, when she was 31. She celebrated her 57th birthday yesterday. DEFINITELY A SURVIVOR!
I had VSG and I was able to drink it. I can't say it was especially easy, but sip sip sip. The thing is, you're expelling it almost as fast as you're drinking it. LOL.

Check with your physicians nursing team performing your procedure. The have other lower volume preps where you don't need to drink as much. Some insurances cover it but even if they don't its only like $5 extra and you drink a whole lot less.

Actually just had my 1st one today.....didn't have to drink anything though to prep, which sounds like a blessing.

12 pills last night with water and then 12 more starting @ 2am today.....it wasn't really that bad, except for what happens after you take the pills!!

I did lose 5 lbs since yesterday though!!

For @Princesca for starting this thread, thank you.

For @eksmama01, thank you for bringing this thread to my attention. I have been very MIA on the Dis this summer and I have not read any updates on how you are doing. :hug: I am hoping and praying you are well. Just know YOU are the sole reason I didn't procrastinate any longer on getting my colonoscopy.

Happy to report, all is good! I have a family history of colon cancer, so this was great news to receive. To anyone who hasn't scheduled theirs yet and they know they need to, please do so. Yes, the prep is no fun and it is definitely the worst part, but as this image says, "... the prep for colonoscopy is WAY easier than chemotherapy!"

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 11.51.39 PM.png

You'll survive one day of yuck. And I really recommend SuTab (the pill version) over the liquid if it is right for you. I saw my dh gag that liquid down. I have a very sensitive stomach and I could do the pills. Yes, I had to pay OOP ($50) versus free for the liquid, but imho it was worth every penny.

Suck it up, make the call. Do it for yourself and your loved ones. ::yes::

For @Princesca for starting this thread, thank you.

For @eksmama01, thank you for bringing this thread to my attention. I have been very MIA on the Dis this summer and I have not read any updates on how you are doing. :hug: I am hoping and praying you are well. Just know YOU are the sole reason I didn't procrastinate any longer on getting my colonoscopy.

Happy to report, all is good! I have a family history of colon cancer, so this was great news to receive. To anyone who hasn't scheduled theirs yet and they know they need to, please do so. Yes, the prep is no fun and it is definitely the worst part, but as this image says, "... the prep for colonoscopy is WAY easier than chemotherapy!"

View attachment 781633

You'll survive one day of yuck. And I really recommend SuTab (the pill version) over the liquid if it is right for you. I saw my dh gag that liquid down. I have a very sensitive stomach and I could do the pills. Yes, I had to pay OOP ($50) versus free for the liquid, but imho it was worth every penny.

Suck it up, make the call. Do it for yourself and your loved ones. ::yes::
I'm so glad all was well! I'm doing great!! An 8 inch scar is well worth being cancer free. The margins were good so I didn't need any chemo. Woot!

Ok peeps...on your 2024 resolution list...if you are 45 OR OLDER GET YOUR COLONOSCOPY!!! I was diagnosed with cancer at just 47. Shocked my docs!!!! It is easy squeasy lemon peasy to get it done

Do it!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter