Pros and Cons of packing with space saving bags?

E

eeyoresmom

I just purchased a set of space saving packing bags but may return them before I open the package. Anyone who has used them....can you give me your opinions on these.? Mine are not the kind with a valve, you just seal them and roll and squeeze the air out. They were not at all expensive, I just dont like owning things I dont use :goodvibesTiA

I've never used my compression bags for WDW, but I did recently start using packing cubes and I love them.

In my experience, compression bags provide the most benefit for winter packing, when you may be carrying sweaters and fleece and items like that. For packing summer clothes like shorts and t-shirts, the compression is less noticeable because the items are less bulky to start.

We use those when we travel in the winter. They are great for all the coats, ski bibs and gloves. For spring or summer the bags do not make a big difference. So I guess it depends on when you travel.

We've used space bags and packing cubes. Since we've started trying to go with carry-ons only for our trips with flights, we've started using the space bags more - managed to do 2.5 weeks in Hawaii this summer with just a carry-on and backpack for each of us! :cool1: Though we did buy an extra suitcase at Costco for the Aulani souvenirs on the way home! :rotfl2:

Packing cubes are great for summer stuff, and work wonderfully if you roll your clothes. However, we found that even as tight as they get, they can't give us as much space in the bags as the space bags. So if we only need a weekend's worth of clothes, the cubes are fine - but packing for a longer trip, we use bags or a mixture of the two.

That said - if we're checking luggage, we make sure to weigh it as the space bags can certainly compress things to the point that it makes it easy to go over weight!

We do have occasional issues with bags gaining air - but usually it's because the zip-top wasn't sealed properly. Resealling and rolling usually does the trick.

One way cubes are nicer is for unpacking at your destination - you can just throw the cubes in a drawer and be done! Since they unzip, it's easy to leave your clothes in them to keep them organized. You can't really do that with space bags.

We're driving to WDW in November and so won't be worrying so much about space - we'll probably use cubes if anything. However, next summer we're doing a 12N Baltic cruise, and plan to pack carry-on only even with the need for formal/dinner wear, etc. We'll definitely use space bags! (And probably do laundry... :rotfl:)

Hmmm, I may keep them. I only paid $6 for one large and 2 medium. They are made by Swiss ( the army knife company), so they should be at least ok quality. We are doing a WDW trip in November that is 3 resorts in 4 nights ( not by choice) so I am trying to find ways to pack light and efficiently. Thank you.

I will second the other opinions. If you have large suitcases, you need to watch for the overweight. I use the packing cubes for organization, and even with them we need to weigh our two huge suitcases when we use them. I use one for work travel with a small carry on, and I really like it. If you are going on a cruise, and need to pack tightly, it's a keep.

I usually use good "old fashioned" large ziptop bags for keeping my clothes organized and neat in the suitcase.... but I do like the rolling type space bags.... especially for my carry-on! I always carry a full change of clothing in my carry-on, even when checking a larger bag. You never know when you might get something spilled on you (like your cocktail during some turbulence) or vomited on (like by the hung-over guy sitting next to you...:rolleyes:) and a full change of clothing (including undergarments and shoes) is NICE to have! But it can be bulky in a backpack/carry-on.... Space Bags to the rescue! I pack something SUPER lightweight (like nylon exercise pants or lightweight yoga pants, a t-shirt, sports bra [less bulky than my regular underwire], sox and canvas sneakers). Put them all folded flat in travel Space Bag, roll it up pushing out the air, flatten it again, and place it along the back side of my backpack or the bottom of my tote bag.

I agree with other who say that it works great for bulkier things like winter jackets.... but I still find them useful for other things! Good luck!......P

I just purchased a set of space saving packing bags but may return them before I open the package. Anyone who has used them....can you give me your opinions on these.? Mine are not the kind with a valve, you just seal them and roll and squeeze the air out. They were not at all expensive, I just dont like owning things I dont use :goodvibesTiA

Be careful going over the weight limit with those if you are flying. I used them years ago for one trip, my dh could barely lift the suitcase and I was afraid it would break. They didn't weigh the luggage then, thank goodness.

Thanks, I can see how it would be easy to go over the weight limits, especially with large suitcases. If these work, I am hoping to pack for 5 days in a roomy carry on only.

Thanks, I can see how it would be easy to go over the weight limits, especially with large suitcases. If these work, I am hoping to pack for 5 days in a roomy carry on only.

5 days in a carry-on is no problem! You can do it. :thumbsup2

I have 10 days worth of clothes packed in a 21" carry-on right now for a combined business and Disney trip. I do plan to wash one load of laundry on the night between the two trip segments, but I don't usually have to on trips 6 nights or less.

Packing is an art. :wizard: There are amazing Youtube channels dedicated to it. People pack for round-the-world trips in crazy small bags. Check them out!

I'm a fan of them too. It saves some space, helps me stay organized, and as we found out on the last trip they are a lifesaver if your suitcase gets wet. Someone (not us) evidently packed wine or vinegar in their checked bag, and it broke and made a huge mess. My suitcase was soaked and stinky but my clothes were still dry and clean!

I use the space bags that roll and I love them.i just purchased new ones ....because some of the ones I had were....tired-worn out. For me it is a great organizing tool. I know that if I have to open my suitcase for something....everything is not going to fall out! I highly doubt I will travel without them.
I have not found overpacking to be a problem when I use them and my clothes are fresh and wrinkle free.

I just bought these from bjs. They are the ones that you vacuum out the air. Was planning on returning because no way to vacuum out air while at disney. Didn't know they had ones that you roll. I'll have to think this one over

Buzz, I see you live in Connecticut, I'm in Massachusetts and got mine at TJMaxx. Much cheaper than I found online. Since its the same company Marshall's and HomeGoods may have them too.

Slightly OT, but might be still helpfull to OP.

One time I didn't have those bags, so I used a garbage bag, vaccuumed the air out, tied it with a twist tie, put it in the suitcase. Once it was in the locked suitcase, it couldn't expand any more. I was able to pack a lot into that suitcase. Of course when I opened my suitcase in my resort, the bag was no longer wrinkled tight, but by then it didn't matter.

Hi.
I have packing cubes and L O V E them!
But, I am interested in hearing more about these space bags.
I don't see how using the vacuum on vacation will work coming home so
what do you all think would be the best space bags to use?
Thanks so much!

I just bought some of the space bags that you can either roll or use a vacuum on. They worked perfect with just the rolling. Don't think the vacuum would do any better job over the rolling. Got them at Walmart.

I just bought some of the space bags that you can either roll or use a vacuum on. They worked perfect with just the rolling. Don't think the vacuum would do any better job over the rolling. Got them at Walmart.

Thanks. Do you know the brand name. I am interested in purchasing.
Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter