Problems with Cascade dishwashing gel...

DISdreamin'

DIS Veteran
Just a heads-up if you are having issues with Cascade Gel not wanting to come out of the bottle. I called P&G/Cascade because I was SO frustrated with not being able to get the product out of the bottle (seriously, putting it between my knees and squeezing wouldn't even do it!). Evidently they have had issues with the product freezing and apparently something crystallizes out of the stuff. When I ripped the white cap off, big chunks of crystals came out in the gel - no wonder it woudn't fit out the little hole!!!

Anyways, P&G was great about it and is sending out coupons for replacements (any size - the ones I had were the big bottles). I just wanted to let you guys know in case anyone else was suffering with this junk. I'm a little leary of replacing it, but I figure I can check it at the store before buying. The two bottles that I had that were bad (I stocked up a while back when BJ's had a good coupon deal and have five bottles right now) make a sandy sound when you tip them - obviously those sharp crystals grinding their way down the inside of the bottle!!

So check your bottles, peeps, and call P&G if you have trouble!

I had the same problem! It is so frustrating! My container is under the sink...I have squeezed everything I can out of it. I will call p&g !

Just a heads-up if you are having issues with Cascade Gel not wanting to come out of the bottle. I called P&G/Cascade because I was SO frustrated with not being able to get the product out of the bottle (seriously, putting it between my knees and squeezing wouldn't even do it!). Evidently they have had issues with the product freezing and apparently something crystallizes out of the stuff. When I ripped the white cap off, big chunks of crystals came out in the gel - no wonder it woudn't fit out the little hole!!!

Anyways, P&G was great about it and is sending out coupons for replacements (any size - the ones I had were the big bottles). I just wanted to let you guys know in case anyone else was suffering with this junk. I'm a little leary of replacing it, but I figure I can check it at the store before buying. The two bottles that I had that were bad (I stocked up a while back when BJ's had a good coupon deal and have five bottles right now) make a sandy sound when you tip them - obviously those sharp crystals grinding their way down the inside of the bottle!!

So check your bottles, peeps, and call P&G if you have trouble!

Srry for the troubles but the pic in my head of someone fighting with a dishwashing soap bottle makes me lol :rotfl2: it might just be that lot number.

I got a half filled of junk slim one time from wisk they forgot to add something , but they are level i think, oh well it happens but still cannt stop loling over the fight ding ding...

FYI powder works better. When you get your replacement get the powder. Dh is an engineer for dishwashers and that's what they recommend based on all their testing.

Srry for the troubles but the pic in my head of someone fighting with a dishwashing soap bottle makes me lol :rotfl2: it might just be that lot number
No, when you call, one of the first things you get in the phone menu is something about pressing 1 for issues with the consistency of Cascade! It's definitely all different lots, and they are saying it is due to the product freezing on the trucks - their statement, not mine.
I got a half filled of junk slim one time from wisk they forgot to add something , but they are level i think, oh well it happens but still cannt stop loling over the fight ding ding...
Yeah, lets just say I went a few rounds with the bottle. ~ding, ding~ :rotfl:

Sadly, the bottle won. :faint:

And BuzzandAriel'sMom, thanks for the tip about powder! I used to buy it, but I had trouble closing the door in this dishwasher when I used it. I guess I'll give it another try. Thank you!

I finally took the white plastic ring out, and it works much better - almost broke my fingers trying to get the stuff out!

I never use liquid dishwasher detergent because of a tip my mom learned the hard way - always shake your detergent before using. If you don't, it gets more concentrated toward the bottom!

Oh my goodness. I started cracking up when I saw this thread. Like the OP I almost strained various parts of my body when I bought my latest bottle at BJ's. I thought something was wrong with me and I called my husband to try. He took off the cap and saw how clumpy it was but it still works OK. I have another one under the sink as well so I will call. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup2

Every dishwasher repairman I have ever met (unfortunately I've met more than one!) recommends powdered dishwashing detergent only.

FYI powder works better. When you get your replacement get the powder. Dh is an engineer for dishwashers and that's what they recommend based on all their testing.

I never use liquid dishwasher detergent because of a tip my mom learned the hard way - always shake your detergent before using. If you don't, it gets more concentrated toward the bottom!
Yeah, that's why I kind of liked the gel version - no issues with that in my experience. But the problem I was describing goes waaay beyond it being more concentrated toward the bottom - the stuff has big rhomb-shaped colorless crystals of some sort in it! They definitely shouldn't be there (the material should be in solution, presumably), and they are why the stuff wouldn't come out of the bottle. And the problem pretty much occurs from the moment you open the bottle. :confused3

And mjkacmom, I did the same thing, which is how I found the crystals. :scared1: What are THOSE doing in there, ya know?!

Here's another heads up regarding dishwashing detergent. I've been buying the Cascade liguid gels. I really like not having to take the time to unwrap a cube to pop in the machine, but I have found that if you reach into the bag (or if you have transfered them to another container) and your hands are even the slightest bit damp, the cubes will start sticking together and become a great big glob of unuseable gel tabs.
:mad: What a waste of $$$. :mad:

We've been having major problems with our Cascade gel -- well DH has since he's the one who runs the dishwasher. He kept complaining about the gel not coming out of the container. He took off the white ring, but that still hasn't helped. I tried calling the number on the Cascade bottle but they closed at 6pm ET, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip, OP!

On the phone, they told me to soak the bottle in hot water in the sink, change the water after the first hour and then leave it for another hour (two hours total). I am doing this now...hopefully this can help someone squeeze their detergent out:rotfl2:

I've been using the cheap stuff, worked great. Bought Cascade on sale and it's like water!!! I don't shake it so that's the trouble I bet. I will switch to powder next time.

That is so odd.. we had the same problem with ours this week! We bought a large bottle at BJs last month and I just opened it this week- I was doing the same thing, even squeezing it between my knees to try to get the stuff out. It was frustrating!

OMG Thanks for posting this ... I have two bottles under my sink that did this. I couldn't figure it out and was sooo annoyed since I never buy that brand. I usually buy something cheaper which I found worked better anyway but had a coupon and a sale.

I'll be calling tomorrow!!

Another knee squeezer here....it's better than the thigh master from Suzanne Somers:thumbsup2 I'm making a call in the morning..thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter