problems at BCV

discarm

Earning My Ears
My family, DH, DS, DD and myself, had a very un-Disney like experience at BCV. We were taking a cruise on the Wonder and stayed at BCV for two night’s prior. Upon check-in at 9:00 PM, we were told our room was not ready! The manager on duty asked if he could buy us dinner for the inconvenience, we really weren’t hungry, just tired from travelling, but we accepted it and thanked him. After dinner, (end of buffet at Cape May, not the best at that time of night), our room was ready. It was about 10:30 PM. The room was a handicapped room, which means that the bathroom doesn’t have any counter space. With a teenage daughter and an almost teenage son, that meant that all our toiletries would have to be put on the floor. Considering we made these reservations months ago, and did not request a handicapped room, and the fact that we had to wait 1 ½ hours to get our room, at that time of night, we were pretty annoyed. DH at that point went back to the desk and we were immediately given another room! Why wasn’t that room available when we first checked in? We have been DVC owners since 1993, and this is the first time this has happened to us. We used Magical Express and our luggage did not arrive until 11:30 PM, missing 1 piece of luggage. At that point, my kids were just looking forward to putting on pajamas and going to bed. After talking to the front desk about our missing luggage, they said they would let us know when they “found” it! That piece of luggage carried all our “better” clothes for the cruise! Finally, at 2:30 AM, the front desk called and informed us that our luggage has been found! YEAH! Now we can start our vacation.

Everything was fine except when we checked out, we realized that the dinner that was supposed to be paid for by Disney because of their screw up, was on our bill! Another trip to the front desk. We were told that there was nothing marked in the comments column, so they could not remove the charge until they talked to the manager who was on duty that night. Lucky for us, our daughter remembered his name, so they said they would check with him when he came to work next. Everything was eventually taken care of, but it seems that we had to go through a lot to begin our vacation. We were very disappointed with the beginning of our trip and hope that the great customer service we have learned to expect at Disney is not changing. I guess we should be happy that we did not arrive at 2:00 in the afternoon and not be able to check in until 10:30 PM.

We did have a lovely vacation and a wonderful cruise, and I hope this is a one-time issue. This is the first time that we were not able to check into a room until so late at night, and I really hope it is the last.

Wow -- sorry that happened to you! I'd definitely be annoyed, too, especially about being charged for a meal that was supposed to be comped! Glad you got it worked out eventually. Hopefully your next trip will be trouble-free! :)

I would definitely write a letter to DVC about that one, and include names. There's no excuse for being charged for dinner. What if your daughter hadn't been able to remember his name?

Room not ready at 9 PM? What if you had small children? That would irritate me more than having to straighten out the dinner thing.

Olaf said:
I would definitely write a letter to DVC about that one, and include names. There's no excuse for being charged for dinner. What if your daughter hadn't been able to remember his name?
I am also sorry this happened to the OP, but I'm sure the charge for dinner was an over sight. I'm certain nobody intentionally tried to pull one over on them.

I also think it would be easy enough to figure out who the manager in charge was. After all, they knew the date and time. :smokin:

MG

Maistre Gracey said:
I am also sorry this happened to the OP, but I'm sure the charge for dinner was an over sight. I'm certain nobody intentionally tried to pull one over on them.

MG

I never said it was intentional, but that kind of service is way below Disney standards, and that, after receiving their room so late. The powers that be need to know when these sorts of things happen.

WOW! when did you land and how long to get to resort?

did you call and let the front desk know you would be a late arrivial ( 9 PM). I would think they just gave your room away after a while. I know you used DME and they should know you were coming but things happen.
As far as luggage you got it pretty quick 2 1/2 hrs.( they say to expect about 4 hrs )for getting it to your room.

if we have a late arrivial we call and let them know so we have a room when we get there.

No reason not to have a room a 9 pm unless some CM thought (IMO) you were a no show and they needed the room.

Sorry you had this problem :goodvibes :goodvibes

I feel your pain!! Our first visit as DVC members to BWV was sort of like yours, but not as bad. I truly think those of us that arrive late are 'punished' and get what 'trash' is left over that others don't want. We don't request specific rooms, areas, all we ask for is nonsmoking (medical reasons). I'm not about to arrive a day early (taking and add'l day of vacation from work, staying off site somewhere and perhaps an add'l day of car rental as some others do) just to get the 'perfect room.' Trying to check in the CM started it all of with, 'we have a situation', bad, bad, bad. Our room was a smoking, had left over food in the fridge, bathroom not cleaned, dirty towels in the entryway. I had the manager come up to our room along with the manager of housekeeping to show them. Ended up getting a meal on Disney, the manager said 'we messed up'. As exhausted as we were and as wonderful as our meal was (Flying Fish), all we both wanted to do was take a shower, relax and go to bed. I made sure the day after our 'meal on Disney' that it wasn't on my room charges. I've heard from lots of posters that waiting for your luggage with DME is the norm. We rent a car (rates are usually within reason, but there's only 2 of us). On the DVC members website there's an email address, that's where I sent my letter of concern and compliments of how wonderful the manager was at the BWV trying to correct the situation. I eventually got a call from someone at DVC who was trained quite well to listen and say all the 'right noncommmital things' to me. I've learned that prior to leaving on my trips 'home' nowadays, I call and review my ressies and let them know I'll be arriving late and what happened to me on my first visit home. So far, so good............

No reason not to have a room at 9 pm ready.

Sorry this happened to you. First comment out of my mouth would have been "room isn't ready at 9:00pm. You want me to believe housekeeping is still here cleaning?" Something stinks with this, what were they doing? :confused3 Please follow through with a complaint in writing. ME is a nightmare waiting to happen and I still don't get why people use it. Free or not the potential for disaster is great. I barely trust the airline getting my luggage there let alone putting into ME's hands. We rent a car and always will. Price tag can't be put on knowing I'm in control once we get there. No waiting on someone else for our stuff. Sorry once again and I' glad you managed to enjoy your trip.

DAVE

This is why I don't think "room ready" is a good plan. Those who arrive later, even though they may have made reservations 11 months ago, get the worst rooms.

That is just terrible service and awful especially at 9:00 pm and having no room ready. I'm sure all of you just wanted to go to sleep. I hope you do send a certified letter and let them know of all the inconvenience to you and your family.

DebbieB said:
This is why I don't think "room ready" is a good plan. Those who arrive later, even though they may have made reservations 11 months ago, get the worst rooms.

Yep, the room ready policy the way it's used at BCV is unfair. BCV could care less about your requests since the room ready policy has been in effect, that's why we sold our BCV.

MikeSquared said:
Yep, the room ready policy the way it's used at BCV is unfair. BCV could care less about your requests since the room ready policy has been in effect, that's why we sold our BCV.

ITA!!! After speaking with the GM at the annual meeting...I KNOW he doesn't care at all about requests. I think the BC thinks we are "lucky" to be there. I hope this changes...and soon!!

I am REALLY sorry this happened to you!! Not getting in until 10:30...that's almost the next day!! I have a 4yr old, and this would've been a BIG problem for us. Obviously, there was something "funky" going on with your room, but I have never gotten into a BCV room before 4:30, and both times we have stayed there, we were initially given smoking rooms which we cannot use because my mom is seriously allergic to smoke. Customer service is not a "high point" of BCV.

I would write a letter to DVC.

:wave:

Beca

Yes, BCV is a HORRIBLE resort. I think everyone should give up staying there until they get their act together. ;) Seriously though, there is no excuse for a room not being ready at 9:00. What on earth were they doing?

Thanks for all your responses. I understand that problems happen at resorts, and sometimes they can't all be fixed right away, even though BCV knew we were coming in late. We've been members since 1993 at OKW and have never had problems like that. What bothered me most however, was when we complained about the room we were in, there was another room available immediately. I don't understand why we had to wait all that time when there was a another room available.

This is the first time we used Magical Express and it will be the last. We usually rent a car, but didn't this time because we wanted to give ME a chance. Not worth it! I know it takes time to get the luggage to the room, but I guess I thought that being so late at night, it might come a little earlier. Wrong again!

Next visit, OKW!!!!!

MikeSquared said:
We have had just the opposite. I honestly think it depends on the CM who checks you in. In August we had requested a view of the quiet pool and nonsmoking. The CM noticed the requests and went out of his way to find us the absolute perfect room. He even gave us a choice of two, one near the elevator that would be ready later, or one at the end of the floor with a HUGE balcony that was ready then (9 AM). We chose the latter and he even called housekeeping to make sure the room was truly ready.

I'm glad your trip went as well as it did. That is usually how ours goes, which is why this seemed worse than what it is.

One more thing about BCV...we didn't receive a "Welcome Home"! I missed that.

MikeSquared said:

Not this guy again. I'll let it go just this once. pirate: Why do you still post? :confused3 I thought you were out of the sysytem.

DAVE

Alexander said:
We have had just the opposite. I honestly think it depends on the CM who checks you in. In August we had requested a view of the quiet pool and nonsmoking. The CM noticed the requests and went out of his way to find us the absolute perfect room. He even gave us a choice of two, one near the elevator that would be ready later, or one at the end of the floor with a HUGE balcony that was ready then (9 AM). We chose the latter and he even called housekeeping to make sure the room was truly ready.

I just had the same experience there. Even with room ready they do look at those requests. Late arrivers will always have a problem. Even if rooms are asigned all requests cannot be met and complainers early in the day might get put in "your" asigned room. There is no perfect system to please everyone. Room ready is the best IMO.

DAVE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter