Princess Weekend 2024!

(And I still lament the loss of the Champion brand raglan-cut race shirts, their new shirt cut is CHEAP and not made for running!! I digress.
I so totally agree! I miss the Champion shirts as they were perfect for running.

I'm bummed about yoga moving to Monday as I feel like by then I would be out of the "Princess Weekend" mood and not want to stay an extra day and get up early. That said I won't be upset about sleeping in on Thursday and my wallet will be thankful to save that money.

I am bummed about yoga moving to Monday since I had planned on leaving Saturday night after the 10k. Not sure I want to stay two extra nights just for yoga and yet the possibility of getting to do yoga in the park was the primary driver for me wanting to sign up for Princess weekend..... decisions, decisions.

but what is up with the typography?
I love the art and the princess choices (although I wish Ariel was the half, not the 5k), but I do agree about the typography.

I'll be doing all of the races, but not doing yoga... I am imagining I will leave on Sunday after the half. Moving it to Monday morning is an interesting choice. I get the idea of stretching after the races. Feels to me like a better option would be to do an after party on Sunday night like W&D but add yoga to the beginning of it. Maybe that would be too small of an after party though (or maybe yoga could be an add-on option to it).

Interestingly enough, Ariel has only ever been on the 5K medal.
Technically 2016 was all little mermaid themed....but post-2018 with the one princess/queen (movie) as the host it's just been a 5K and it was the 2021 virtual at that (Rapunzel was also the 10K that year)

Well, unpopular opinion probably, but I honestly am disappointed. Repeating three princesses from 2021, and two of them for the same distances. It just seems lazy on their part. Really am surprised that Snow White, Aurora, and Merida are not in the mix as they are way overdue to be used again.

Honestly, how many ways can you combine a limited number of princesses to have anything original? Not really much to work with (although I don't disagree about the lazy aspect of it)

Honestly, how many ways can you combine a limited number of princesses to have anything original? Not really much to work with (although I don't disagree about the lazy aspect of it)
Some out of the box ideas not necessarily physically focused on princesses….

Alternative outfits
Sidekicks
Princes
Castles
Icons
styled after broadway version
Styled after live action version
Un-official princesses/heroines (Giselle, Elionwy, megera, Esmeralda… maybe even go way out of the box with Fox’s Anastasia)
focus on a specific song/sequence from the film

Technically 2016 was all little mermaid themed....but post-2018 with the one princess/queen (movie) as the host it's just been a 5K and it was the 2021 virtual at that (Rapunzel was also the 10K that year)
Well yeah. I am more talking medals themselves. Pre-2017 the half medal was always a more generic tiara.

Moving yoga is puzzling. An attempt at getting people to stay past the weekend? But it's not a big enough event to do that, I wouldn't think. I can see them ADDING a yoga session on Monday, in addition to expo day, but this is weird.

Moving yoga is puzzling. An attempt at getting people to stay past the weekend? But it's not a big enough event to do that, I wouldn't think. I can see them ADDING a yoga session on Monday, in addition to expo day, but this is weird.
Exactly. I thought yoga was a nice kick-off to the weekend, sort of setting the tone for the whole event, with the half being the big event at the end. I agree about adding a session rather than switching the day.
Well, to begin with, Snow White, Merida and Pocahontas have been used once each, while Tiana and Moana have been used multiple times, sometimes in consecutive years. They can start by using some of the less-frequently represented princesses and give the more frequently and almost overused princesses (Moana and Cinderella come to mind) a break.

Well it used to be the Glass Slipper Challenge and the medals did not include a princess likeness. I looked at my past medals and in 2017, the medals were all related to Belle and were quite pretty. 2018 was when they focused more on one princess per race. I like both ways.

In terms of an animation/"live" action/broadway medal sequence, that is what they did last year for the Lion King virtual races. Those medals are stunning.

I am less inclined to have them use lesser known sidekicks since the medals are part of the attraction of these races (I am all about the bling :)).

It's funny how we complain about the princesses always recurring, but no one seems to mind having Mickey on every marathon medal :)
To be fair, Mickey is the Big Cheese. He's much more of a universal symbol than any Disney princess. It is kind of funny but yeah I just don't need 3 Belle medals while I don't mind at all having a bunch of Mickey medals.

I think it might be a good time to remember that not everyone is here every single year. This is my first princess in about a decade. And I was entirely in the tiara medal era. So for me this is the first time I'll have a chance to earn medals that are the actual princesses. And I love Tiana and Frozen. So I'm happy with them being back.

Honestly I'm surprised Asha wasn't put on one of the medals. As a sort of promotion with Wish. Maybe in 2025?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter