Princess Power - September 2016 Weight Loss and Lifestyle Change Challenge

I am hearing how important it is for you to achieve your goal and I support you by listening and reminding you - you have achieved a lot and been through a lot in the recent past. I know you know those last few kilos are hard - whilst we like to be lean our bodies don't like to be too lean and they resist us - who would have thought :rotfl2:. A couple of thoughts - make sure you are getting good sleep, make sure you are not cutting your calories too much - otherwise your body will think its starving and won't let the weight go, your body may have gotten used to your current exercise regime - you may need to kick start it and your metabolism by changing it up a bit and adding some interval training. Most importantly as I know we are hardest on our selves - I will remind you - I think you look fabulous, you are a strong, determined, caring, hardworking woman who is a fantastic mother, wife and friend who is doing her best to live a healthy life and be a great example to her son :hug:

It is important. Actually my holiday in WDW next month and my lifestyle after are even more important. It is important as i have been close and lowered my standards at that point and gained weight back. It's important that I try my best, even if I don't reach it that I can say I tried my best as its what I consistently do that counts long term

I will avoid the scale this week as it's the wrong week of the month

Sleeping - yes, some nights I sleep 4 hours. It's not much. Average is about 6:30. Not ideal really but I tried so many thing to make it work!

Starving, I don't think so as I am eating about 2000 calories daily. When I plug in my numbers to calorie calculators the numbers are between 1850 and 1950 for maintenance so I don't think it's that

My son told me - you are one fit mammy, you don't need to worry! You look great in everything. Haha, he is looking for new console!

I will try to go close to my April (first month I did the challenge) numbers in terms of steps and calories, although on substantially body weight the loss will be slower but I am confident it will work as my goal is much smaller too

Last edited:
H

:hug: I feel with you. I am rather disappointed with my progress, too. After a good weigh in on Saturday my scale is up again and I really cannot tell you why. I have had a 500-750 kcal deficit every day for over a week now and that should mean some progress... I know my weight loss is never linear, but is frustrating.

I keep telling myself I should give it 10 days without stepping to the scale but I end up doing it every 3/4 days.

I think moving to behavior goals was the right thing for me this month as I am still going towards the right direction, slooooowly but without worrying about the scale.

it will show. If we do the right things, we will get the right results. Stick with it!

Last edited:

Welcome to Tuesday friends!
I just love this next Princess ….

Rapunzel_profile.jpg

Many cultures have ‘maiden in the tower’ tales. The first recorded one is from the 3rd century and tells the tale of Christian Saint Barbara – a virtuous woman locked in the tower by her father – she was tortured for her Christian beliefs but her wounds miraculously healed overnight – she was eventually killed by her father and he was struck by lightning and died as a result. The hair/ladder concept was introduced in a Persian tale in the 10th century – a woman in a harem offered to throw down her hair for her lover to climb – worried he will hurt her he throws up a rope instead. In 1968 France it is retold with the mother stealing parsley from a sorceress’s garden and the price is her unborn child. The Prince falls from the tower and is blinded by the thorns surrounding the tower – he is healed by the tears of the girl. The name Rapunzel is used for the first time by German Author, Friedrich Schulz, in 1790 – and of course there was a Grimm Brothers version of the story 1812. Disney released Tangled in 2010 one of our most recent Princess movies. I like the dynamic between Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder and of course the animal friends in this movie Pascal and Maximus are just hilarious.

Tower.01.PNG

Looking at these pics of Rapunzel and the Tower got me to thinking about feeling isolated, alone and not a part of the wider world.

Tangled-disneyscreencaps.com-741.jpg

This can happen to us at times in our lives for many reasons and weight can be one of them. It can be a barrier to fully participating in life the way we would like to or dream about and we can feel like Rapunzel looking out at the world from our window in the tower.

tumblr_l8wsm7gjZo1qcapglo1_500.png

QOTD: Do you feel now or have you ever felt like Rapunzel – trapped, isolated, wanting a different life? As we are all at different stages on our journeys how did you descend your hair rope and experience the world or start on the road to your dreams? I know that for many there was a defining moment that made you realise the need – but I am interested in that next step of how you got brave enough to start and follow through. Remember that scene showing the excitement and trepidation Rapunzel felt with she first went down from the tower?

Quotes of the Day...

imagesVTR73GKO.jpg

Power-Your-Potential-with-These-Disney-Quotes-Tangled.jpg

Attachments

• Rapunzel_profile.jpg
    Rapunzel_profile.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1
QOTD: Do you feel now or have you ever felt like Rapunzel – trapped, isolated, wanting a different life? As we are all at different stages on our journeys how did you descend your hair rope and experience the world or start on the road to your dreams? I know that for many there was a defining moment that made you realise the need – but I am interested in that next step of how you got brave enough to start and follow through. Remember that scene showing the excitement and trepidation Rapunzel felt with she first went down from the tower?

This is what I'm living right now! Personally, I felt trapped. Not just in weight but in everything. But I decided that I needed to do something for me. I'm 23. I couldn't stand the idea of living the next 60 years of my life in this way. So I got advice from the people around me that I love and trust and then I just went for it. It's very much like when Rapunzel first puts her feet in the grass and one minute she's excited and then the next she's like "what did I do??" But if Rapunzel taught me anything it's that if you follow the scary stuff then you get your happily ever after. And that's what I need.

View attachment 197282

Many cultures have ‘maiden in the tower’ tales. The first recorded one is from the 3rd century and tells the tale of Christian Saint Barbara – a virtuous woman locked in the tower by her father – she was tortured for her Christian beliefs but her wounds miraculously healed overnight – she was eventually killed by her father and he was struck by lightning and died as a result. The hair/ladder concept was introduced in a Persian tale in the 10th century – a woman in a harem offered to throw down her hair for her lover to climb – worried he will hurt her he throws up a rope instead. In 1968 France it is retold with the mother stealing parsley from a sorceress’s garden and the price is her unborn child. The Prince falls from the tower and is blinded by the thorns surrounding the tower – he is healed by the tears of the girl. The name Rapunzel is used for the first time by German Author, Friedrich Schulz, in 1790 – and of course there was a Grimm Brothers version of the story 1812. Disney released Tangled in 2010 one of our most recent Princess movies. I like the dynamic between Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder and of course the animal friends in this movie Pascal and Maximus are just hilarious.

View attachment 197284

Looking at these pics of Rapunzel and the Tower got me to thinking about feeling isolated, alone and not a part of the wider world.

View attachment 197286

This can happen to us at times in our lives for many reasons and weight can be one of them. It can be a barrier to fully participating in life the way we would like to or dream about and we can feel like Rapunzel looking out at the world from our window in the tower.

View attachment 197285

Quotes of the Day...

View attachment 197283

I love this movie. I used to watch it with my daughter all the time. The quote about being outside your comfort zone is fitting for me. Work lately has been pushing me out of my comfort zone. I hate speaking in front of people. Scares me to death. Work has been having me do some presentation. It is all stuff I know and it is just explaining the application process with my computer works but it still freaks me out. It's the all eyes on me that does me in. I almost got sick at my wedding because of it.

Onto the question. There are several times I have felt alone but never because of my weight. I am shy at first until I get to know someone. I never had a ton of friends either. There was a point after I had my kids that I felt really alone. I felt like I and no friends at all and my life was just about the kids. Once they started school I have become friends with the parents of there friends. I get out of the house more and don't feel as isolated. I always had my husband but I yearned to be able to out with friends.

This is what I'm living right now! Personally, I felt trapped. Not just in weight but in everything. But I decided that I needed to do something for me. I'm 23. I couldn't stand the idea of living the next 60 years of my life in this way. So I got advice from the people around me that I love and trust and then I just went for it. It's very much like when Rapunzel first puts her feet in the grass and one minute she's excited and then the next she's like "what did I do??" But if Rapunzel taught me anything it's that if you follow the scary stuff then you get your happily ever after. And that's what I need.

No words of wisdom, just sending you virtual hug! You can do this

If you only do what you know to do you will never learn anything is another quote I like

Tough question. I think at some point everyone dreams of a different life. I know there are days when I really want to leave the teaching profession and find something different to do. Those days aren't very often, but every once in a while they pop up.

As far as weight loss goes, I don't know if I had a true defining moment. This one started off just like the others did. If anything, swallowing my pride and starting to exercise was probably what put me over the hump this time. I thought I was better than walking, I was a college athlete and I should be able to do more than just walking. Finally coming to grips with where I was allowed me to get going and start moving again. I'm basically at that same point in my life now with strength. I can't even do a good push up right now with all the muscle I lost while losing weight. It's embarrassing for me, but I have to get over it. Starting in Oct my goal will be to do 100 push ups and 100 sit ups every day. I will have to start on my knees, but I relate it to starting to walk before I could run. After a month or two I hope to get some strength back, but coming to grips of where you are is tough!

View attachment 197282

View attachment 197284

View attachment 197286

View attachment 197285

Quotes of the Day...

View attachment 197283

I'm at a major transition point right now. I've mentioned a couple times looking for a new tribe, and have connected to it via Instagram... I found an entire new community of crafty-woolly people spread all over the world. I love seeing pictures of everyday life in so many different places, and being inspired by so many other people following their creative path. Right now it's helping me to be creative in my current situation, but I also see a big life change coming. It is going to be a natural organic shift, where at some point the scale tips and that side of my life takes over. Getting tattooed is part of that shift... the inspiration came from seeing so many of my creative heroes inked up on their hands and arms, the tools they use to create. At first I wasn't sure if I loved the bird and the bee as much as I love the flowers, but now that they've aged a bit I'm very happy with the additions and am planning out the next stage. Tatooes are so common here, it is going to be interesting to go into different environments - WDW and Texas - and see if people respond differently.

Tummy was much better this morning, so I appear to be repairing - yah for that! I'm trying to get my head in to getting ready for vacation which is now just about three weeks away! I've tried to sew a couple things, but the patterns don't run up to my actual size and I haven't been happy with the adjustments I've made, so a couple days ago I ordered a pattern that is the right size and will play around with that. If not, I guess I'll be hitting the clearance racks to grab a few things. It's going to be two weeks off, two very different vacations butted up back-to-back, and I am looking forward to it, even if I may be just throwing stuff in a suitcase the night before!

Hey, friends! I hope you've all been well. I just wanted to pop in here so I could be sure not to miss the October thread when it gets posted... I'd like to try to participate again. <3

Hey Megan!! We missed you!! I love seeing all the new designs on your shop though. Looks like you are doing well.

Hmmm... This is more related to my life's journey as a whole -- not specifically weight loss. I feel quite isolated in that I left my comfort zone and all my friends when I moved down to south Florida. This could be one of the factors to my weight gain -- not being fulfilled in that important community aspect of my life. I do have my family, but it's not quite the same as girlfriends ya know? I recently took my new leap and joined an online group to connect young women in my area. It's out of my comfort zone doing stuff like that but how do I expect things to change if I don't change.

I'm at a major transition point right now. I've mentioned a couple times looking for a new tribe, and have connected to it via Instagram... I found an entire new community of crafty-woolly people spread all over the world. I love seeing pictures of everyday life in so many different places, and being inspired by so many other people following their creative path. Right now it's helping me to be creative in my current situation, but I also see a big life change coming. It is going to be a natural organic shift, where at some point the scale tips and that side of my life takes over.

I can completely relate to needing that tribe. That's what I am working on too. It's such a vital part of our well being but sometimes we don't realize just how important til its gone. Good for you for for finding that and a source of inspiration!

@JacknSally Good to see you on here again! I LOVE some of the designs I've seen you post-- especially the Hamilton/Hocus Pocus mashup. You are sooo creative!

----------------------------------

As for me-- interesting day so far. I saw my doctor again today for my 3rd blood work up and now I have another piece of the puzzle. Something is going on with my thyroid. More tests to follow, nothing for me to be overly concerned with yet, but it could actually be the cause of my heart stuff. So I am happy I am staring to get to the root of what's going on with me. And I'm happy it doesn't seem to be crazy serious. So I'm going to give that an early woohoo! haha!

Oh and I was down 1.5 lbs from my visit last week so there's another premature woohoo! LOL

I will have the October thread up sometime late Thursday and will post the link here when it's ready to go!

:hug: :cheer2: you get both a hug and a cheer from me because you have done something brave and strong - and even though you are struggling with this some days I am hoping that you end up with your happy ever after - you deserve it :-)

I love this movie. I used to watch it with my daughter all the time. The quote about being outside your comfort zone is fitting for me. Work lately has been pushing me out of my comfort zone. I hate speaking in front of people. Scares me to death. Work has been having me do some presentation. It is all stuff I know and it is just explaining the application process with my computer works but it still freaks me out. It's the all eyes on me that does me in. I almost got sick at my wedding because of it.

It is hard to start talking in front of groups of people - I used to hate it - but when I went back to Uni - I had to get used to it as we had often had oral presentations. I still get nervous but I think I am getting better at it. Hang in there - be proud of developing a new skill that is hard for you.

Onto the question. There are several times I have felt alone but never because of my weight. I am shy at first until I get to know someone. I never had a ton of friends either. There was a point after I had my kids that I felt really alone. I felt like I and no friends at all and my life was just about the kids. Once they started school I have become friends with the parents of there friends. I get out of the house more and don't feel as isolated. I always had my husband but I yearned to be able to out with friends.

I completely relate to this - When I moved to the coast - my oldest was 3 and my twins were a couple of months old - the only people I knew here were my parents. My mum and I are close but like @LadyMarie said - sometimes you just need some girlfriends. I loved having the opportunity to be with my kids full time - but like you it wasn't until they started school that I started to make some friends again. To make matters worse this was during the time that my relationship was falling apart - no matter how much I fought for it.

As far as weight loss goes, I don't know if I had a true defining moment. This one started off just like the others did. If anything, swallowing my pride and starting to exercise was probably what put me over the hump this time. I thought I was better than walking, I was a college athlete and I should be able to do more than just walking. Finally coming to grips with where I was allowed me to get going and start moving again. I'm basically at that same point in my life now with strength. I can't even do a good push up right now with all the muscle I lost while losing weight. It's embarrassing for me, but I have to get over it. Starting in Oct my goal will be to do 100 push ups and 100 sit ups every day. I will have to start on my knees, but I relate it to starting to walk before I could run. After a month or two I hope to get some strength back, but coming to grips of where you are is tough!

I agree with the coming to grips with where we are is hard and so is overcoming our pride - as that is also when we have to admit what we have done wrong to get here!

I'm at a major transition point right now. I've mentioned a couple times looking for a new tribe, and have connected to it via Instagram... I found an entire new community of crafty-woolly people spread all over the world. I love seeing pictures of everyday life in so many different places, and being inspired by so many other people following their creative path. Right now it's helping me to be creative in my current situation, but I also see a big life change coming. It is going to be a natural organic shift, where at some point the scale tips and that side of my life takes over. Getting tattooed is part of that shift... the inspiration came from seeing so many of my creative heroes inked up on their hands and arms, the tools they use to create. At first I wasn't sure if I loved the bird and the bee as much as I love the flowers, but now that they've aged a bit I'm very happy with the additions and am planning out the next stage. Tatooes are so common here, it is going to be interesting to go into different environments - WDW and Texas - and see if people respond differently.

I hope your new tribe/lifestyle is everything you are hoping for :-) again good on you for being brave enough to embrace a new lifestyle and get out there making new friends.

Tummy was much better this morning, so I appear to be repairing - yah for that! I'm trying to get my head in to getting ready for vacation which is now just about three weeks away! I've tried to sew a couple things, but the patterns don't run up to my actual size and I haven't been happy with the adjustments I've made, so a couple days ago I ordered a pattern that is the right size and will play around with that. If not, I guess I'll be hitting the clearance racks to grab a few things. It's going to be two weeks off, two very different vacations butted up back-to-back, and I am looking forward to it, even if I may be just throwing stuff in a suitcase the night before!

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. Good luck with the clothes for your vacation - I always find that another time that I realise I am not where I want to be weight wise.

Hey, friends! I hope you've all been well. I just wanted to pop in here so I could be sure not to miss the October thread when it gets posted... I'd like to try to participate again. <3

Hey - hope you are doing well - see you next month.

Hmmm... This is more related to my life's journey as a whole -- not specifically weight loss. I feel quite isolated in that I left my comfort zone and all my friends when I moved down to south Florida. This could be one of the factors to my weight gain -- not being fulfilled in that important community aspect of my life. I do have my family, but it's not quite the same as girlfriends ya know? I recently took my new leap and joined an online group to connect young women in my area. It's out of my comfort zone doing stuff like that but how do I expect things to change if I don't change.

Good for you being brace and trying to make those connections with other women - hope you make some fun, supportive new friends. I have moved a couple of times in my life and it can make you feel very disconnected.

As for me-- interesting day so far. I saw my doctor again today for my 3rd blood work up and now I have another piece of the puzzle. Something is going on with my thyroid. More tests to follow, nothing for me to be overly concerned with yet, but it could actually be the cause of my heart stuff. So I am happy I am staring to get to the root of what's going on with me. And I'm happy it doesn't seem to be crazy serious. So I'm going to give that an early woohoo! haha!

Oh and I was down 1.5 lbs from my visit last week so there's another premature woohoo! LOL

Great to hear you are getting answers for your health worries - and that they aren't too serious. I got a reminder last week that you never know what is going to happen - one of the mums of DD's friends when dropping her off for a sleep over at our house told me she had just been at the hospital for an appointment as she recently found out she has breast cancer ... she turned 40 - went for her first mammogram - and they told her they found the cancer! She has had surgery but now she needs to plan the chemotherapy with her doctors. That is a mums worst nightmare.

So I think this part of Tangled spoke to me yesterday as I was feeling down and isolated - but it is only through reading through your responses and thinking about it more myself that I realise why I think I have been drawn to this movie - I totally relate to Rapunzel being isolated in that tower - it is a metaphor for my life over the last 21 years really - me ex was extremely skilled at using emotions to manipulate me into isolation whilst they came and went as they chose - this emotional manipulation continued after the break down of the relationship as a way to continue to control who I made friends with and what I did by dangling a false promises in front of me. I have managed to cut all contact now but the damage done is long lasting - and now I have kind of put myself in that tower using my weight as an extra barrier to protect me from that world and other people like that (I don't really trust my judgement anymore). I do find lately though that I am longing to be out in the world and have even thought I would like to meet my own Flynn Ryder - (and hopefully this time my Prince will be real and it will end in my happy ever after) - the fact that I am even starting to think I would like this is a huge deal - but I really feel that I still have work to do and lots of weight to lose before it is possible. So instead of hiding in the tower - I feel I am starting to look out the window but not quite ready to climb down that rope yet.

Thank you to all for sharing your thoughts and experiences on this question - it has really helped me to look into myself.

We moved around a lot after getting married. So when we finally settled in FL I felt trapped, isolated, and definitely wanting a different life. Life wasn't so busy and it was the first time I got to take a good look at my life. I realized it was totally different than what I had planned for myself and I didn't really have an identity other than being someone's mom or wife. I started to break out of that when I started running. My love of Disney was what gave me the initial push to start running and DH was very supportive and ran with me for a while. But when I signed up for the Goofy Challenge I knew I would be on my own. For the past 3 months I have been discovering who I am and that I am stronger than I ever thought I could be both mentally and physically.

I do find lately though that I am longing to be out in the world and have even thought I would like to meet my own Flynn Ryder - (and hopefully this time my Prince will be real and it will end in my happy ever after) - the fact that I am even starting to think I would like this is a huge deal - but I really feel that I still have work to do and lots of weight to lose before it is possible. So instead of hiding in the tower - I feel I am starting to look out the window but not quite ready to climb down that rope yet.

You really don't need to put your life on hold until you loose weight. You are worthy of love the way you are.

I will share a quote from my favorite weight management book of all times

bs1_zpsvsfuizs5.png

bfs2_zps07ishdqs.png

We have 3 more days. I looked at my deficit since 11th of September, it's 7900 so I earned a full kg weight loss and the scale is just not cooperating! No wonder I am getting frustrated but...

It will. I have earned it, it will have to show!

Aiming for 800 deficit next 3 days to finish the month strong. Took all my frustration in the gym this morning. Great workout. I got this!

I didn't answer the question yesterday. Last year I felt very much on my own as my husband was treating me really poorly, he poured all anger at me. At the time I promised myself I will try to find my own crew and I went out to few book clubs and events like this but as he dealt with his anger and he is back to treating me normal I am not as pushed to do it. I need to as it's important to feel connected and life outside the family too

Good morning all :-)

Its Wednesday again!!! You know what that means its time to share your :woohoo:WOOHOOS :woohoo:
so we can celebrate all good things happening in our lives big or small - health or non-health related ...

Now I am trying to thing positive hoping that we all have woohoos especially as its the last woohoo Wednesday this month ... but I know that sometimes we struggle with it so here is a funny Tangled clip that covers both woohoos and not so woohoos ... hope it brightens your day :P

Quotes of the Day!

85c6dcbc840ebe71b116b4e0b2c10764.jpg

17842be679d192cad4d7f7a47ae1d1b8.jpg

It will. I have earned it, it will have to show!

Aiming for 800 deficit next 3 days to finish the month strong. Took all my frustration in the gym this morning. Great workout. I got this!

That is super frustrating ... You definitely got this! :cheer2: and great work for focusing that frustration into a good workout :cheer2:

I didn't answer the question yesterday. Last year I felt very much on my own as my husband was treating me really poorly, he poured all anger at me. At the time I promised myself I will try to find my own crew and I went out to few book clubs and events like this but as he dealt with his anger and he is back to treating me normal I am not as pushed to do it. I need to as it's important to feel connected and life outside the family too

I just cannot imagine what you guys went through as a couple with the cancer scare. I am sorry you had a bad time - but glad to hear things are on the improve - It is definitely important to feel connected to a wider life, but it can be hard working full time, and raising a family - that is what I have been struggling with a little this week - I just feel like a need a girls night out at the movies or something.

You really don't need to put your life on hold until you loose weight. You are worthy of love the way you are.

I will share a quote from my favorite weight management book of all times

Thank you. It made me cry. But that is most likely the root of it all as most days I don't think I deserve it and have very poor self-esteem - most of the time I can mask that to the outside world but deep down its always there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!