Elijah Abrams

Mouseketeer
NOTE: I apologize for deleting and reposting this thread. I accidentally put it in the wrong (Community) forum when it should be put in the Rumor forum.

Okay, so you know how there is the Stitch parking lot at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, CA, which is located south of the Mickey & Friends/Pixar Pals parking structure and north of the west end of Downtown Disney? Well, I took a look at the map on the Disneyland app and website, and the Stitch lot is not there! Could this be where the future Princess and the Frog ride will reside? Does this mean Splash Mountain (at least in California, not sure about Florida yet) has been saved? Here’s a top-to-bottom photo comparison between the DLR app and Google Maps for proof:
AD4EA57A-AA59-4DB0-85B5-E6247C53D284.jpeg389AE435-93AF-4440-92AC-C45AE63B5B28.jpeg

I don’t know what’s happening with the app but I really don’t think that’s what they’ll be doing.

If TWDC kept SPLASH, the backlash would be too much for the corporate folks to handle. SPLASH is on death row. I truly enjoyed SPLASH and I will miss it.

I actually think a Tiana ride would be pretty fun in both DLR and WDW. I do not think SPLASH is the correct attraction to convert. First, I have visited (not lived) in the Louisiana Bayou, and there aren't mountains there. Second, I think a bayou ride in Frontierland is the dumbest storytelling idea TWDC could come up with. It is incongruent with all things Frontierland. This is the change I believe true fans of Disney parks should be most afraid about. That storytelling is simply a secondary thing.

Lots of folks are focused on sightlines, eyesores, paid express lanes, crowds, diminishing rewards/benefits to staying onsite, etc. These are all accurate points, but what really is going on at Disney Parks is that the storytelling is becoming weaker and isn't fitting within the lands they have created. For instance, in EP, the new Guardians attraction is themed like a fake pavillion or spoof on pavillions and that's sort of insulting to a park that is based upon pavillions.

Now, it appears that Disney Parks thinks that it will jam IP stories into attractions regardless if the attraction style fits the story or the land it is located fits the story. Just jam the IP in their and then pat yourself on the back for whatever success you think you gained.

I'm not an Imagineer by any means, but I look at SPLASH and if I were forced to change it with IP, the first mountain related and successful films that come to my mind are a Moana volcano style attraction and a Coco in the elevations of Mexico City style attraction. Great music and it could be set in a more Frontier style of the Pacific ocean or the hills of Mexico. It just make more sense. But, I'm an old-school, inflexible person and if I were in charge, I would be pounding on the table to invent some new idea not tied to IP and perhaps create a new ride that could be IP for a film. Like PoTC or JC or HM.

If TWDC kept SPLASH, the backlash would be too much for the corporate folks to handle. SPLASH is on death row. I truly enjoyed SPLASH and I will miss it.

I actually think a Tiana ride would be pretty fun in both DLR and WDW. I do not think SPLASH is the correct attraction to convert. First, I have visited (not lived) in the Louisiana Bayou, and there aren't mountains there. Second, I think a bayou ride in Frontierland is the dumbest storytelling idea TWDC could come up with. It is incongruent with all things Frontierland. This is the change I believe true fans of Disney parks should be most afraid about. That storytelling is simply a secondary thing.

Lots of folks are focused on sightlines, eyesores, paid express lanes, crowds, diminishing rewards/benefits to staying onsite, etc. These are all accurate points, but what really is going on at Disney Parks is that the storytelling is becoming weaker and isn't fitting within the lands they have created. For instance, in EP, the new Guardians attraction is themed like a fake pavillion or spoof on pavillions and that's sort of insulting to a park that is based upon pavillions.

Now, it appears that Disney Parks thinks that it will jam IP stories into attractions regardless if the attraction style fits the story or the land it is located fits the story. Just jam the IP in their and then pat yourself on the back for whatever success you think you gained.

I'm not an Imagineer by any means, but I look at SPLASH and if I were forced to change it with IP, the first mountain related and successful films that come to my mind are a Moana volcano style attraction and a Coco in the elevations of Mexico City style attraction. Great music and it could be set in a more Frontier style of the Pacific ocean or the hills of Mexico. It just make more sense. But, I'm an old-school, inflexible person and if I were in charge, I would be pounding on the table to invent some new idea not tied to IP and perhaps create a new ride that could be IP for a film. Like PoTC or JC or HM.

I have always thought the at the Princess and the Frog works better in Disneyland because it is right off of New Orleans Square, but it doesn't fit so well in WDW. I would love it if each got a completely different retheme so they would essentially be two different rides (the DL one is different already anyway). The differences just give me a reason to go to both!

I do think the OP is reading too much into this and that it likely has nothing to do with the Splash retheme at all.

Last edited:

I have always thought the at the Princess and the Frog works better in Disneyland because it is right of fod New Orleans Square, but it doesn't fit so wel lin WDW. I would love it if each got a completely different retheme so they would essentially be two different rides (the DL one is different already anyway). The differences just give me a reason to go to both!

I do think the OP is reading too much into this and that it likely has nothing to do with the Splash retheme at all.
I have not been to DLR. My understanding is SPLASH is actually in Critter Country adjacent to New Orleans Square. But, I understand your point that there is a better flow or reimagining of the land to fit the theme. I still don't think there is a mountain in the Louisiana bayou. :)

I have not been to DLR. My understanding is SPLASH is actually in Critter Country adjacent to New Orleans Square. But, I understand your point that there is a better flow or reimagining of the land to fit the theme. I still don't think there is a mountain in the Louisiana bayou. :)

Yeah, Critter County is right there, so really New Orleans Square would just be annexing the Splash area. Splash also is barely a mountain, and I don't think it's a stretch from that point of view. The story could be that Tiana is taking a boat ride to another place.

I think that area is where Disney is hoping to add park expansions as part of DisneylandForward? But I am not familiar with the area so I could be wrong. The Anaheim police recently was trying to hire more staff due to expansion efforts in Anaheim (including Disneyland). This may be the initial phase of Disneyland's efforts. I expect more to be announced as part of D23 if things are starting to move as part of that effort.

https://disneylandforward.com/project/possibilities

I have no doubt, when its converted, it will not appear as a mountain anymore.

I would also bet that , at least in WDW, they will connect it to Liberty Square and Frontierland in a seem less way.

Its what they are best at.

At DL is much more in place already.

I have always thought the at the Princess and the Frog works better in Disneyland because it is right off of New Orleans Square, but it doesn't fit so well in WDW. I would love it if each got a completely different retheme so they would essentially be two different rides (the DL one is different already anyway). The differences just give me a reason to go to both!

I agree. Think it works alright in DL since it could join New Orleans Square (or Critter Country becomes a Bayou themed sub land of NOS with Hungry Bear becoming Tiana's). For WDW would be nice if they brought back the idea of the Western River Expedition and transformed Splash into that there as it would fit in well to the area. Having all three Splashes having unique themes then would also give more reason to visit each park to experience something different.

I agree. Think it works alright in DL since it could join New Orleans Square (or Critter Country becomes a Bayou themed sub land of NOS with Hungry Bear becoming Tiana's). For WDW would be nice if they brought back the idea of the Western River Expedition and transformed Splash into that there as it would fit in well to the area. Having all three Splashes having unique themes then would also give more reason to visit each park to experience something different.

And, yeah, if people feel they are missing out on a Tiana ride at WDW, well, they can build one too! Would a wholly original attraction be out of line for Princess and the Frog? Not in the slightest!

Last edited:

I think that area is where Disney is hoping to add park expansions as part of DisneylandForward? But I am not familiar with the area so I could be wrong. The Anaheim police recently was trying to hire more staff due to expansion efforts in Anaheim (including Disneyland). This may be the initial phase of Disneyland's efforts. I expect more to be announced as part of D23 if things are starting to move as part of that effort.

https://disneylandforward.com/project/possibilities
Perhaps Disneyland is putting in a Louisiana Bayou expansion, where the Stitch lot currently is, as an expansion for New Orleans Square, in order to put in the Princess and the Frog ride. A slow and gentle boat ride rather than retheming the already thrilling Splash Mountain.
the whole point of the Splash refurbishment is to remove any reference to Song of the South, even if they put P&F somewhere else, Splash will be rethemed to something.
I was thinking, the other day, of A Bug's Life retheme.

For that to be even a possibility they would need to:
A. Build a bridge that crosses over that highway that stays within theme and DL bubble or;
B. Cut out that part of Disneyland Drive.

I don't see either of this options as likely at all. I think you are reading way too much into it. Plus it is also very unlikely the ride track changes at all, most probably only the animatronics and theming will be exchanged. So the "thrill" of it won't be gone.

1654712911653.png

It's sad that they are getting rid of and cancelling West African culture and folklore. Frankly it's just lazy by Disney. If they are really for as progressive as they say they are they should make a new movie focussing on the West African Bre'r Rabbit set in West Africa to replace the Song of the South.

"The Br'er Rabbit stories can be traced back to trickster figures in Africa, particularly the hare that figures prominently in the storytelling traditions in West, Central, and Southern Africa.[4] Among the Temne people in Sierra Leone, they tell children stories of a talking rabbit.[5] Other regions of Africa also tell children stories of talking rabbits and other animals.[6] These tales continue to be part of the traditional folklore of numerous peoples throughout those regions. In the Akan traditions of West Africa, the trickster is usually the spider Anansi, though the plots in his tales are often identical with those of stories of Br'er Rabbit. However, Anansi does encounter a tricky rabbit called "Adanko" (Asante-Twi to mean "Hare") in some stories. The Jamaican character with the same name "Brer Rabbit" is an adaptation of the Ananse stories of the Akan people.[7][8]

The African savanna hare (Lepus microtis) found all over sub-Saharan Africa: the original Br'er Rabbit.
Some scholars have suggested that in his American incarnation, Br'er Rabbit represented the enslaved Africans who used their wits to overcome adversity and to exact revenge on their adversaries, the white slave owners.[9] Though not always successful, the efforts of Br'er Rabbit made him a folk hero."

Perhaps Disneyland is putting in a Louisiana Bayou expansion, where the Stitch lot currently is, as an expansion for New Orleans Square, in order to put in the Princess and the Frog ride. A slow and gentle boat ride rather than retheming the already thrilling Splash Mountain.

I was thinking, the other day, of A Bug's Life retheme.
Wasn't there news last week that the WDW and DL Splash Mountain rethemes would be completed in 2024? Disney willp rovide more details next month.

If they are going to add new lands, it will probably be something that has been built in other parks, like TokyoSea.

The African savanna hare (Lepus microtis) found all over sub-Saharan Africa: the original Br'er Rabbit.
Some scholars have suggested that in his American incarnation, Br'er Rabbit represented the enslaved Africans who used their wits to overcome adversity and to exact revenge on their adversaries, the white slave owners.[9] Though not always successful, the efforts of Br'er Rabbit made him a folk hero."
Aren't/weren't Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear voiced by African-Americans?
Wasn't there news last week that the WDW and DL Splash Mountain rethemes would be completed in 2024? Disney willp rovide more details next month.

If they are going to add new lands, it will probably be something that has been built in other parks, like TokyoSea.
That was something Anika Noni Rose, Tiana's voice actress, said, but she isn't an employee for or has insider access to Disney. Heck, the company can't confirm until next month. Plans in fact may have possibly changed/altered.

That was something Anika Noni Rose, Tiana's voice actress, said, but she isn't an employee for or has insider access to Disney. Heck, the company can't confirm until next month. Plans in fact may have possibly changed/altered.
If they're moving forward with this soon, I'm guessing she'll be doing voice work for the ride, which is why she might have an idea of when it will open with the new theme.

The only reason that parking lot doesn't show up in the app is because it's an employee only lot. Disney doesn't want people to think they can park there.

Also, Disneyland Forward is effectively dead in the water due to the current political controversies the city/city council of Anaheim is caught up in. There is NO WAY the Disney company is going to make any moves anytime in the next few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter