Price difference between ROFR thread and available contracts

kenyoncad

Earning My Ears
We’ve been looking to add at CCV or PVB, and the contracts for sale don’t really seem to match the deals people are getting in the ROFR thread. I’m seeing CCV at $135-145 and PVB at $140-150 in the ROFR thread, but listings are more in the range of $150-170 for CCV and $150-180 for PVB.

Is demand this high right now that its pushing the prices up this much? In the past the ROFR thread has been a pretty good guage of what to pay, but I’m making offers and getting told the price is firm or the sellers will only drop the price a couple of dollars max. I probably just need to be more patient for a good deal, but it seems like the prices are on a steady upwards path.

As someone bidding on contracts, I would say an upward rise is happening and ROFR is behind right now.

Lots of people with a lot of extra savings right now, and perhaps spending on future vacations has become more valuable after 1+ year of being mostly stuck at home.

Also, with interest rates on cash and bonds at close to zero, why not put idle cash into DVC for annual savings on vacations...a much better return than what the idle cash will bring.

Prices are definitely up but don’t be afraid to draw a line in the sand of what your max cost is and just offer a bit below that and then hopefully they will negotiate a bit and meet you in the middle. I bid $155 for my most recent BLT contract in ROFR and it was listed at $171. The seller came back at $165 I said that at that price to the agent I’m better off buying RIV direct with the current incentives. A few hours later they came back with $162.50. I countered at $160 and we had a deal 😊. $160 was my absolute max threshold that I wanted to pay and I wanted it to finally get through ROFR

I think there are a few sites purposely listing high and that a $10 under offer is worth attempting. One of these sites told me absolutely they wouldn't go for a price I suggested, and well, I saw them on the "newly reducing" listing this morning. ;) Prices are absolutely up, but I think the asking prices are even more inflated.

Your 2 resort choices are the same I was considering. For the time left on the contract, I think either PVB and CCV make sense if you can negotiate a good ppp. Ultimately I chose CCV for 2 reasons: (a) ROFR seemed highly unlikely and (b) more variety in room type. We typically book a 1 BR when we travel so we can have our own space separate from the kids. For PVB I thought I could just book 2 connecting studios, but then you lose the kitchen & in-room W/D. The upside with connecting studios, however, is having a full second bathroom, and there's a lot to be said for Poly's amenities and location. As mentioned, though, we landed on pursuing a CC contract (Wilderness Lodge also appeals to us for many reasons). I was a bit bold in negotiating and found that one of the biggest resale sites (from which I had hoped to purchase) constantly gave me the same refrain that the contract was priced right and my offer(s) weren't in line with the market. Market value, though, is ultimately what a buyer is willing to pay and what a seller may accept. The broker's mantra did not matter to me. Rather, in my mind, if someone is selling CCV now, they need to get out because they haven't owned their contract all that long. My patience and persistence paid off, and I'm currently on pins and needles waiting for our closing docs to arrive and for points to make their way to us. In short, my advice would be to stay positive and keep trying. Sooner or later you'll strike gold with the right seller. Good luck!

I have to assume the brokers are trying to push up prices by encouraging people to list high, and it seems to be working, as the contracts seem to be selling quickly, and the well priced ones are going really quickly. I put a $132 offer in on a stripped CCV contract that was listed at $149, they came back at $147 firm. I came up to $144 as other than being stripped it was ideal, they stuck to their $147 firm, I couldn’t bring myself to go higher.

Wow! That’s crazy they wouldn’t take $144. Unless they listed much higher and have since been reducing. I scored a 100pt CCV at $140 back in Jan.

We’ve been looking to add at CCV or PVB, and the contracts for sale don’t really seem to match the deals people are getting in the ROFR thread. I’m seeing CCV at $135-145 and PVB at $140-150 in the ROFR thread, but listings are more in the range of $150-170 for CCV and $150-180 for PVB.

Is demand this high right now that its pushing the prices up this much? In the past the ROFR thread has been a pretty good guage of what to pay, but I’m making offers and getting told the price is firm or the sellers will only drop the price a couple of dollars max. I probably just need to be more patient for a good deal, but it seems like the prices are on a steady upwards path.

The ROFR thread is weighted by people that got good deal and post about them and doesn't represent the average resale prices.

The ROFR thread is weighted by people that got good deal and post about them and doesn't represent the average resale prices.

OR The ROFR thread is people posting what they actually paid rather than what brokers are trying to get people to pay. I will admit that people on these boards may be more aware that they are allowed to make an offer rather than just pay the full price suggested (although I hope not), but I don't think that people who paid a little more are refusing to post their details! If that was the case then the figures would not increase year on year.

If I was going to put my points up for sale I certainly wouldn't do it at the lowest price I was willing to accept!

The prices are moving up since most of those contracts were posted on the ROFR thread. Two reasons: demand outpacing supply, and Disney ROFR in action.

On ROFR: I had a contract at AKV I sent to ROFR for $106/pt in early March. At the time I signed the contract, that was a safe price and ROFR was only happening at $102 or less. Then Disney got a wild hair for AKV and is now taking anything under $110/pt (including mine). Then AKV contracts with available points dried up. I jumped on one I spotted late one night and raised the amount per point I was willing to pay significantly, due to both the contract having almost triple points, and the awareness that the ROFR amount has gone up for AKV and I don't want to wait another three weeks and start over yet again.

BLT is also getting bought back heavily, with about anything $150pp or under being taken.

Prices have gone up significantly since we went to ROFR. I kept an eye out on what was available and it seems like most everything went up at least $20 per point (if not more) compared to what was available a month ago. I was starting to worry about what we would do if we didn’t pass ROFR.

I think there are a few sites purposely listing high and that a $10 under offer is worth attempting. One of these sites told me absolutely they wouldn't go for a price I suggested, and well, I saw them on the "newly reducing" listing this morning. ;) Prices are absolutely up, but I think the asking prices are even more inflated.
I was chewed out for offering less than the posted price. The funny thing is the asking price is MORE than direct. He also told me I was stupid to pay $110 for SS and then tried to get me to break my contract to go with him for under a $100. Oh, this was after scaring me that my OKW-E would never pass ROFR Which he was selling for more than direct)

I was chewed out for offering less than the posted price. The funny thing is the asking price is MORE than direct. He also told me I was stupid to pay $110 for SS and then tried to get me to break my contract to go with him for under a $100. Oh, this was after scaring me that my OKW-E would never pass ROFR Which he was selling for more than direct)
Wow! I had a similar experience with an agent. I found another contract on their site after having my contract ROFR and it was the best option at the time. So I picked a female agent from their drop down list and had a completely different experience. Presented my “low” offer no problem and even got the deal negotiated.

Would it be worth it to start a thread for market value comps? Basically everyone can post their contract details (similar to the ROFR thread).
I think the ROFR thread is too skewed towards the lower offers, and I personally don’t fully trust the market pricing shown on broker’s websites. It’s very frustrating that, unlike real estate, there is no database to see how the overall resale market is moving (broker independent).

Would it be worth it to start a thread for market value comps? Basically everyone can post their contract details (similar to the ROFR thread).
I think the ROFR thread is too skewed towards the lower offers, and I personally don’t fully trust the market pricing shown on broker’s websites. It’s very frustrating that, unlike real estate, there is no database to see how the overall resale market is moving (broker independent).
If people won't post on the ROFR post then I don't see why they would post elsewhere. Anyone can watch the OCC site to see what contracts are being sold for.

If people won't post on the ROFR post then I don't see why they would post elsewhere. Anyone can watch the OCC site to see what contracts are being sold for.
That’s a good point, I didn’t realize the OCC website would show contract details.

I'm not sure why people think that the ROFR thread is only the lower offers. If they're actually paying more themselves then why not post on the thread so it's more realistic? Given the volume of offers on there it is hard to believe that there are so many more people on this board deliberately keeping quiet! We have sellers as well as buyers on there, and I can't believe they'd want to pretend they accepted less than their contract is worth. I used the information on there when making my offer and found it very helpful.

Edited to add: I know there are people who don't do their research, and who aren't aware that you can make an offer lower than the listing price, but those same people probably aren't on this forum!

Last edited:

I think you also need to realize that the DIS is a very small group of buyers. Even some of the data that gets shared is usually from just the one broker.

I do think it’s a great guide, but there are many more buyers out there than those posting here.

I'm not sure why people think that the ROFR thread is only the lower offers. If they're actually paying more themselves then why not post on the thread so it's more realistic? Given the volume of offers on there it is hard to believe that there are so many more people on this board deliberately keeping quiet! We have sellers as well as buyers on there, and I can't believe they'd want to pretend they accepted less than their contract is worth. I used the information on there when making my offer and found it very helpful.

Edited to add: I know there are people who don't do their research, and who aren't aware that you can make an offer lower than the listing price, but those same people probably aren't on this forum!
I thought it was skewed because I used it as a guide and got multiple offers denied around or above the ROFR thread pricing, brokers would also tell me the market value of the contracts I was bidding on was about $10-$15 higher than I thought it should be.

I thought it was skewed because I used it as a guide and got multiple offers denied around or above the ROFR thread pricing, brokers would also tell me the market value of the contracts I was bidding on was about $10-$15 higher than I thought it should be.

Here is the thing about ROFR. It is not consistent and from what I have been told over the years, it’s not going to be. Goals and reasons change as to why they do what they do.

You really have to decide for yourself based on what you see passing and not passing and whether it works. One thing is to never let an extra few dollars stop you from paying more if it is the perfect contract,

I paid $150/point for BLT in June when others were getting it lower. But it has banked 2018, 2019 and all 2020 points. It was worth it. That same contract today would be vulnerable to ROFR today, even though it was the higher end 10 months ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!