• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PreTrippie (aka King Charming Takes Hypermommy (and family) on another cruise)

Well, I checked in to see if there are new iteneraries and who do I see? You guys! Happy to see you are still Remembering the Magic!

You may remember that I was on your cruise in April, played Trivia challenge with Denise. Hey, that key chain I won lasted about a week before the Disney logo rubbed off, and the very cool travel coffee mug that I won at the Do you know your music-game, broke last week.
We are waiting to see where the new ships will be travleing to. DH, me and our two boys, 11, and 7, did two Western Disney cruises and we liked knowing what our choices were.
Things we did differently.. We didn't even get off at Grand Cayman second time because the whole tendering thing is a drag. The empty ship was our favorite day the second time around.
We actually saw less shows the second time, the welcome night and kids show the last day were enough. First time around we saw EVERY show.
Skipped the last night "wishes" I think it was called. First time around we HAD to see it.
Bought a lot less photos from Shutters on the 2nd round.
Second time, more time in the comedy/nightclubs. This went hand in hand with having older kids the second trip.
Second time-tequila tasting, brought more bottles of wine/liquor. Didn't feel the need to rush around to see it all, relaxed more.
Didn't do excursions either time, with older boys we tried to see more of Key West second time, took taxi's to different beaches on both cruises at Cozumel. If you want a cheap excursion, Mr. Sanchos beach was free entry and cool swings at their bar instead of bar stools. Of course, you pay for food and drink. The second time we made the mistake of going to the beach with the Disney excursion, crowded and expensive.
Both times at CC we brought our own floats, ate and swam. Second trip, DS, 11 ran around with his new girlfriend. lol
I like the movie theatre on the ship, both trips we watched two movies.
Can't wait to hear more! and Congratulations!:thumbsup2

Karen

Hi Daisy! Absolutely I remember you!!!! Wasn't that a fun game of "Jeopardy"? I still have my light... it's hanging on my keychain. But sometimes it'll get stuck "on" in my purse and then my whole purse is glowing. LOL Thanks for all the great advice! Definitely some things to consider there.

Now, KC... we still have the month of October. You know, I was thinking that it might not be a bad idea to go down there and concentrate on photography. I could definitely use some new pictures of Disney stuff for digiscrapping background ;-)

Whatever could I have been thinking! What a great idea Hypermommy, we really do need to get another use or TWO from that expiring pass of yours. I'll run right out and get me one of those fake ID's and take all the park pictures you could EVER possibly want. I'll even note what background music was playing so it will seem like you were there!
I think if you go back and check the fine print, we agreed YOU would not use the pass. I, on the other hand....

Whatever could I have been thinking! What a great idea Hypermommy, we really do need to get another use or TWO from that expiring pass of yours. I'll run right out and get me one of those fake ID's and take all the park pictures you could EVER possibly want. I'll even note what background music was playing so it will seem like you were there!
I think if you go back and check the fine print, we agreed YOU would not use the pass. I, on the other hand....

Y'all see what I have to put up with? Surely you'll all take pity on me for having to deal with this devious King who sometimes acts more like Prince John. Actually, he's laying in the bed behind me just snoring away right now. I would be well within my rights to just go get some ice water and dump it on him, right?

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Actually, I'm quite proud of him... sounds like exactly the kind of logic I would use if the situation were reversed. But don't tell him I said so. It's important that his head still be able to fit through the doorway
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I can't believe it's taken me this long to get over here. Well now that I'm here I must have some fabulous things to add and then duck and run:rotfl2:
First I am so glad you are doing this because I will live vicariously through you:cool1: What with the Titanic rearing it's ugly head and all. Speaking of which did you read what Diamondintheruff wrote on my trippie:scared1: She's getting as bad as you!
I'll give you your park fix you give me my cruise fix!

Watches....yes I believe I remember those issues:rotfl: Now this time I bet you won't even see your boys. It'll be just like a second honeymoon for the two of you.:hug:

KC love the budget. Let's see how accurate it is. Are you sure she can't go to the parks just one more time pretty please:worship: :worship: :worship:

I can't believe it's taken me this long to get over here. Well now that I'm here I must have some fabulous things to add and then duck and run:rotfl2:
First I am so glad you are doing this because I will live vicariously through you:cool1: What with the Titanic rearing it's ugly head and all. Speaking of which did you read what Diamondintheruff wrote on my trippie:scared1: She's getting as bad as you!
I'll give you your park fix you give me my cruise fix!

Watches....yes I believe I remember those issues:rotfl: Now this time I bet you won't even see your boys. It'll be just like a second honeymoon for the two of you.:hug:

KC love the budget. Let's see how accurate it is. Are you sure she can't go to the parks just one more time pretty please:worship: :worship: :worship:

Ahhhh... my life is now complete! Darling Peg is here!!! :worship: :worship:

Yes, I read what Diamond read on your trippie... I had to clean my monitor off after that!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Okay... we'll be each other's pixie dust suppliers, huh? :rotfl2:

We'll see the boys for dinner. I'll insist on that. Actually, I'm loving this age because they can be left to fend for themselves and I'm finally getting some time with darling KC again.

Oh thank you, thank you thank you.... that's so sweet of you to try to convince him to let me go one more time. I've honestly been trying to figure out a way to connive a trip to MNSSHP out of him. I'd LOVE to see that parade because everyone I've heard says it's their favorite parade. And I know I love the music from it!

Hey, you can't blame a girl for trying :banana: :rotfl2: :cool1:

You know, I'd really love to duck into the parks prior to sailing, but with the price of tickets and all, I just don't see it happening. The best case scenario would be to buy Fla resident yearly passes for the four of us. That would allow us to park hop AND make follow-up visits. Therein lies the rub; after spending $6K for the cruise, another $1K for the passes, plus gasoline and lodging for several days while using the passes, there is no way there will be extra dollars to fully use them throughout the year. We did buy passes in 2006, spending alot in March for a weeks visit, and almost as much in Dec for a 9 nighter. The weekend escapes the 3 of them made so often surely cost a couple hundred each (except F&W Fest). That was the general plan for 2009, before booking. And because Mickey and I agreed to limit how much of my money he will be taking (at least for 09), he won't comp the passes. I seen what having an un-used pass does to Hypermommy, and I really don't need to hear it from the kids also.
The next step down would be to buy Fla res 3 day passes, but even staying at the All Stars we'd tack on close to another grand. This is something I refuse to consider until the cruise is paid for and the other $2K is safely in the bank.
Something I have considered is to go down a few days early and catch Mic's Merry Xmas event. But even staying at the HoJo's it would cost several hundred more.
These last two plans are poor choices though, as my economical ways won't allow me to pay $50 a head for ONE evening in one park, or even $130 each for 3 days in 3 parks, when for $250 you get most of the year (except for crowded periods). So by saying no to all three options I don't have to face the dilemma of value verses cost. As a bonus, the price tag for the week doesn't go up at all.

However, if you know the secret password AND handshake, I'll take you through the hole in the bushes that get you right into the side of the parks...

:rotfl2: I'm telling you stop drinking Pepsi and stop smoking and put that money in the bank and you'd be there:cool1: I know, I know, grouchy but there

Not only grouchy, but probably lonely too. Very few people are willing to put up with 'cheerfulness' when I run out of either.
Besides, if I make this trip look too easy to save for, Mickey might get big headed and want to renegotiate our deal ;) .

Not only grouchy, but probably lonely too. Very few people are willing to put up with 'cheerfulness' when I run out of either.
Besides, if I make this trip look too easy to save for, Mickey might get big headed and want to renegotiate our deal ;) .

Mickey --- big headed? Never!!! Or let's just say that if he does, I have no doubt at all that you could match him inch for inch in circumference of the noggin, dear.

/me ducking and running

So who knows that secret handshake and is willing to teach me. I'm having serious parks withdrawal. Spaceship Earth is new since I've been (didn't luck up on any of the soft openings). Toy Story is open. There's the new TRex restaurant. Not cool that all this new stuff is there and I'm not. And the biggest disappointment of all is that Mousefest will have to go on without me this year. Bummer!!! Mongello's trivia tours.... Barrett's hidden mickey tours.... Devine's photo tours.... LTAD's drinking around the world.... I'm gonna miss all of that!!!

Oh, what a dark and sinister addiction this WDWAddiction is. LOL

So who knows that secret handshake and is willing to teach me. I'm having serious parks withdrawal. Spaceship Earth is new since I've been (didn't luck up on any of the soft openings). Toy Story is open. There's the new TRex restaurant. Not cool that all this new stuff is there and I'm not. And the biggest disappointment of all is that Mousefest will have to go on without me this year. Bummer!!! Mongello's trivia tours.... Barrett's hidden mickey tours.... Devine's photo tours.... LTAD's drinking around the world.... I'm gonna miss all of that!!!

All the more reason to squeeze in one last trip before your ticket expires... I know my boy wants your boy to go so they can chat about the new stuff. BTW, we got the 2007 Hidden Mickeys book and saw your boys' names in the acknowledgements!

So I've re-read my TR dozens of times now, helping me remember the other mundain details of the great time we had. After so many readings though, I was surprised at how many references of a future cruise that popped up. Heck, if you read the PRE TR, there was no way I would have considered Mickey's boat as an affordable OR acceptable alternative to the parks. Yet the DIS boards were full of people telling me what a good time they had while on-board, that we would love it, AND that we would return for more. Yeah...right...if you say so. Must be nice to be so rich that the ship has become a habit. We, on the other hand, were happy with the parks. While able to go more often (because we sure do know how to load a mini-van), were too chea...ah, frugal to sacrifice dollars in massive quanitities. So why in the world am I commited by/to this madness?

I know how I got this way, and others should be warned. First time cruisers-beware of DCL! The event is as all encompassing as the parks are. Just like you are drawn back to the parks for the overall experience, you will feel the need to go back to sea. Maybe if we had done a quicker trip on a less expensive ship, it would not have been so enjoyable. The ports were cool, but the ship's activities were great and numerous. The daily Navigators were slap full throughout the day of activities that made it impossible to be bored. They must know that by scheduling so many attractive options that it is impossible to do it all; just like the parks.

So yeah, we are going back; the cat 11 cost be damned (PLEASE don't tell Hypermommy I said that). We found a way to scrape up funds last time, I'm sure we can do it again (even if I am self-employed). This 11/09 Double dip fits in nicely with the long term spending plan (new truck in 10), and gives us over a year to pay it off.

As difficult as it was, I finally acknowledged my 'sea sickness', and my doctors say that's the first step. I sometimes wonder why the head doc sounds just like Mickey, but they said it is just a symptom of my psychosis. I'd like to think there is a cure, because this could become a very expensive addiction. Anybody have any suggestions on what worked for them? Oh, OK, so maybe asking folks who have the same affliction for the cure ain't such a good idea. I must be worse off than I thought. I'm doomed...doomed....

In one way KC, I hope that you are wrong and in another, well.........right! This will be DH and I's first DCL cruise, actually our very first cruise ever! I want DH to love it, mainly because I love to travel and have a passion for Disney and usually I have to give him a little (ok, sometimes more than a little) tug to get him to go. BUT, what if he loves DCL more than I love going to Disney.:scared1: ? Then we would have a problem!

Sorry I've been MIA guys... with Halloween and National Digiscrapping Day coming up, I've been quite swamped. And I imagine I'll continue to be with Thanksgiving and Christmas. But that's no excuse for me to neglect my buddies on here.

All the more reason to squeeze in one last trip before your ticket expires... I know my boy wants your boy to go so they can chat about the new stuff. BTW, we got the 2007 Hidden Mickeys book and saw your boys' names in the acknowledgements!

Well, I let the pass expire. I figured out the secret handshake (which I can't talk about because this is a family board) but I couldn't figure out the password. I still haven't totally given up on the idea of going but even I would like to have a bit more of the cruise paid for before I go. But shhhhhhhh... don't tell KC.

When's your cruise again? I haven't mentioned it to DS13 because I know he'd slip? Hope it's before the Christmas holidays because my son won't be at that school any more after that. We're gonna homeschool him too. I just love the education and the freedom that it gives us (and not having to follow stupid school rules is another plus). We need to make sure these two have "playdates" after that so they can keep up with each other. Maybe a morning at the local golf 'n' games would be good? It's only about $14 for a 3 hour block of fun.

While able to go more often (because we sure do know how to load a mini-van), were too chea...ah, frugal to sacrifice dollars in massive quanitities. So why in the world am I commited by/to this madness?

<snip>

As difficult as it was, I finally acknowledged my 'sea sickness', and my doctors say that's the first step. I sometimes wonder why the head doc sounds just like Mickey, but they said it is just a symptom of my psychosis. I'd like to think there is a cure, because this could become a very expensive addiction. Anybody have any suggestions on what worked for them? Oh, OK, so maybe asking folks who have the same affliction for the cure ain't such a good idea. I must be worse off than I thought. I'm doomed...doomed....

Cat 11? What am I hearing??? I do have to admit I'm hoping for an upgrade to at least a Cat10 so we can have the split bathroom. That was very convenient! But not that you pay for it dear KC, but that Mickey will offer it.

And I don't know what you mean by the head doctor sounding like Mickey. Must be your imagination, darling.

doctor mickey copy.gif
doctor mickey2 copy.gif

In one way KC, I hope that you are wrong and in another, well.........right! This will be DH and I's first DCL cruise, actually our very first cruise ever! I want DH to love it, mainly because I love to travel and have a passion for Disney and usually I have to give him a little (ok, sometimes more than a little) tug to get him to go. BUT, what if he loves DCL more than I love going to Disney.:scared1: ? Then we would have a problem!

Don't fret it Laura... there's actually a way to do both. All you really have to do (and I keep telling KC this) is buy DVC points. Then your lodging is taken care of and that's the biggest expense. And you can use your points to cruise too. See... great solution!

But honestly, as much as I miss the parks, I wouldn't trade a park visit for a cruise. I know I'll get back to the parks again sometime. It might not be before the cruise but the next big vacation will be the parks again. It's all do-able... you just have to plan. But that's half the fun, right?

Now...where's that blasted Merlin to tell me what tonight's lottery numbers are gonna be? He's probably off in the woods again having a magic contest with that Madam Mim!

I was wondering what happened to my dear Hypermommy:confused3 You do remember where your loyalties lie do you not? What's with the home schooling? You don't like your children being social and having friends? :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: Ok now it's my turn to duck and run:lmao: How do you manage home schooling while working? I give you credit...I couldn't do it. Keep well and hope to hear from you soon.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: @ Peg. It's not that I don't like my kids being social and having friends but that most kids aren't ready for the wonderful creatures my children are! LOL Actually, we started homeschooling because my eldest.... well, you know how some people march to the beat of their own drummer? Well, my kid has a whole band that he can call his own. :rotfl2: Actually, he's a great kid and I think he's going to be a very inventive and fun to be around adult (much like his mother ;-) ) but in middle school if you don't fit into that particular cubbyhole or mold... well, life can be very difficult.

So we started him in homeschooling. Basically, he "goes" to Florida Virtual School. Has classes and teachers and lesson plans and all of that. It's just that instead of going to a brick & mortar school he goes to school online. That's how I can do that and still work.

And I've been so impressed with the teachers and the level of education that I want my younger son to attend FLVS too. Of course, he's got to get his grades up before he can do so .... can't let him run away from a tough situation or he'll learn that's how to handle it.

Of course, we make sure they have opportunities to socialize because that is so important. There's a strong homeschooling community in our town and they do lots of stuff together so he has plenty of opportunity with that. And then there's the church and the Young Marines and all that other stuff too.

As for my loyalties... yes, I know exactly where they lie. Trying to make an extra buck or two so I can have an excursion or two on the cruise. LOL. Actually, I heard the other day about some tequila tour that isn't on the official excursion list. Apparently it's in Cozumel and the taxi drivers know where it is. From what I was hearing for about $10 you can get a tour of a tequila plant and a quite sufficient amount of taste testing. Might just have to leave the kids on the ship in Mexico this time :cool1: :rotfl2:

Wa-hoo!! Cruise docs came today :cool1: They sure have changed though. Wait a darn minute, these aren't cruise docs at all :sad1: , it's just another bill... ooops, I mean 'greeting' from Mickey (all dressed up to look like the paperwork). Excuse me while I hunt down my checkbook right away. Never keep that mouse waiting, or (like me, attempt to) hold out on him, cause that is when he show you those big teeth of his. :rotfl:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I know that you cringe whenever you see a new communication from Mickey, but trust me he loves his correspondence with you. You just keep using that special stationary you have been (you know, the kind with the numbers across the bottom and on the right) and he'll be happy and you'll never see his big teeth. :rotfl2:

Whew! Been quite a while since I've had a chance to be on here. But I'm still preparing for the cruise, of course. :cool1:

Lately preparations have included gathering information on fellow cruisers. Using google's docs, fellow cruisers can just fill in a form and it dumps it into a spreadsheet... I put the info in an Access database and slice and dice it in various ways. So now we know who's in what cabin, who's staying where the night before, etc. It's kind of fun knowing all of this about fellow cruisers before we go.

I've also been busy setting up a separate bulletin board and photo gallery for our specific cruise. This is a safe place for our kids to chat and to show off pictures of our family and stuff.

And I'm still seriously thinking about the paper chain. It's 366 days to the cruise now so it seems like the perfect time to start one. KC doesn't want me to because it would definitely take over our little duplex. But then again, I'm not exactly good at doing things the way he wants me to. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

You know, I really should get a life shouldn't I? But I just spent about 2 hours putting this together. There are some things I was going to clean up but my computer's so low on on memory right now that I'm hoping I can get this off before I have to reboot.

All I can say is wooooot!!!!

happy_one_year_mark.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter