*~*Pressed Pennies Tips and Facts*~*

iHEARTflorida

DIS Veteran
I'm going to Disney in 9 days and am wanting to start collecting pressed pennies again, so i have been looking around the forum for threads about pressed pennies and other websites and have learned alot about pressed pennies i never knew before.

Here are some tips and facts:

A pressed pennies, is a flattened penny with an image on.

There are currently 494 pressed pennies and coins

Pressed Pennies can be found all around WDW including resorts

There cost 50cent, the your penny

The best pennies to use are pre1982 ones

As most pre1982 will be dirty you can clean them loads of people have different ways of cleaning them you can clean them by:

Using Cillit Bang
Tomato Ketchup
Salt and Vinger
Coke
Eraser
Baking Sode
Including More.....

Cleaning the penny, making it shiner means the image is seen better

Put the coin in the penny machine, with the head to the right, this is as the head presses better than the building does

You can buy penny books to hold you coins in, they cost around $7 and you can get them from WDW, or disney outlets for cheaper

The Books hold 26 pennies and 6 quarters

People hold their unpressed money, in M&M tubes, with altering 2 quarter, penny, 2 quarters, penny, etc...

a M&M tube can hold 40 quaters and 20 pennies.

People also have another M&M tubes to hold the pressed pennies, or just take their book with them

Some people take 3 M&M tubes one for Quarters, one for Pennies, and then finally one for the pressed pennies

Here is a list where you can find where all the pennies and quaters are located and what kind of pennies it is. here

Any other tips and facts, i didnt know , missed out or got wrong

M & M canisters! Why didn't I think of that before? I've been looking for a good holder of coins, especially after I lost about 10 pennies after an extreme coaster ride at Geauga Lake. I wasn't too happy about that.

All of your info is correct. Just last night I tried a new method of cleaning pennies (it's best to do before pressing). I gathered all my pre-82 pennies, first soaked them (briefly) in a mix of vinegar and salt, then rinsed, then rubbed with a paste of baking soda and water. They came out excellent, looking brand new. Also recommended is getting a roll of uncirculated pre-82 pennies.

Personally, I think this is one of the best souvenier options. They are inexpensive, fun to do, and a wonderful reminder of where you've been and what you've done!

Thanks for posting this info- anyone else have any pressed penny tips?

We love pressed pennies too!! Thanks for all the great tips!! I didn't know that the pre-82 pennies were better! I will be much more prepared for our March trip now thanks to you!!:goodvibes

Great tips! Too many people think the newer pennies are better since they start out shiny......

I do skip the M&M tubes, though. I find that a single ziploc holding pennies, quarters and smashed pennies is easier than trying to juggle tubes. The three items are different enough from each other that it's still easy to get what you need out of the bag without confusion.

Thank you for starting this post... I have been getting information about the pressed coins everywhere, it is nice finding it all in one place!!! Can you tell how you clean/polish the coins with those ingredients. :goodvibes

thanks for this great info. We started collecting pressed pennies from various places last year but didn't know about the bks-will have to look for those.
And I'm glad to know about the pre 1982 pennies-will start collecting now.

Anyone know how many different machines are at DL now?

I am so glad I found this. I love pressed pennies. I have been collecting them for a really long time. Not just DL but other places as well. I am looking forward to collecting them at DW. I will now have to find pre 82 pennies and wash them. I was just going to look for shiny ones but now I know how to clean them.

Thanks so much for the info.

Becca

Be careful taking the filled tubes on planes, they look suspicious. We take the quarters and pennies in ziplock bags and then transfer them to the M&M tubes when we get to DW. The large tubes worked really well and weren't too heavy. We put them 2 quarters, 1 penny and layered them in the tube.

I just saw that the penny arcade has 9 pressed penny machines-anyone know where else they are?

Hello! I just wanted to add that last week at WDW I noticed that they are selling pressed penny books that are much bigger than the $7 ones. I'm not sure exactly how many pennies they hold, but it is a lot more than the smaller ones. I believe they were only for pennies as well - they didn't have a place for quarters.

Hello! I just wanted to add that last week at WDW I noticed that they are selling pressed penny books that are much bigger than the $7 ones. I'm not sure exactly how many pennies they hold, but it is a lot more than the smaller ones. I believe they were only for pennies as well - they didn't have a place for quarters.

yh, thats true, they now have bigger books which hold 64 pennies only no spaces for quarters or anything, and i think its was around $6.50 for the book

I get the pressed pennies and then make them into magnets. I buy a package of several magnets from the store, break them in half and then put them on the penny and they make a great addition to the refridgerator.

I used pre1982. My pennies look terrible.

I used ketchup and penny bright(worked the best). One I did in Niagra Falls 3 years ago looks great even before the penny bright. Some of the ones I did this last Christmas and New Years look black. That was just 5 months ago.

I think Ill do more quarter ones this time.

YAY people finally replyed to my post THANK YOU, i posted this last august lol

thank you

I remember reading your post after you posted it last year... I wanted to let you know that I took a ton of your suggestions with me to Disney last year, and can't wait to collect smashed pennies once again this year (even though I am guaranteed to have some eyerolls from the dbf... :rotfl2: )

I used the m&m container (it was perfect!)
I went out and bought some pre-82 pennies at a coin shop (they weren't too expensive, and I wanted my pennies perfect - plus I was being lazy.)
I got the book when I arrived at disney & filled it up with 64 pennies!!! Total cost: $32.00 (pennies & quarters), $6.50 book, $.75 m&ms (shucks, had to eat them :), $5.00 (price for 3 tubes of pennies at coin store) = less than $45 for a GREAT keepsake - and you get them one or two at a time, so it doesn't seem as if you are spending much :banana:

And I still enjoy looking at the pennies. I will be collecting again this year!!! I just need to figure out a way to keep up with the pennies I already have, so that I don't have a bunch of duplicates.

Has anyone seen any YOAMD quarters yet? I collected HCOE and 100 year quarters. But, I've been to WDW twice during YOAMD and no luck. I figured surely, since they extended through 2008, they would at least put out a few!

We're going in November for my son's first trip. (He'll be 9 when we go.) He's really interested in the pressed pennies since I've showed him some that I've made at different places over the years.

He wants to get the Stitch series, and is also interested in the military ones at Shades of Green. One of the Stitch ones is at Typhoon Lagoon which will be closed for renovations when we're there. Anyone know how we can get one of those? And anyone know how accessible Shades Of Green is? I thought I had read somewhere that the buses don't stop there as often??

Is there a place anywhere where people are trading pennies or posting wants? I'd be more than happy to swap pennies with someone if I could help someone out!

We're going in November for my son's first trip. (He'll be 9 when we go.) He's really interested in the pressed pennies since I've showed him some that I've made at different places over the years.

He wants to get the Stitch series, and is also interested in the military ones at Shades of Green. One of the Stitch ones is at Typhoon Lagoon which will be closed for renovations when we're there. Anyone know how we can get one of those? And anyone know how accessible Shades Of Green is? I thought I had read somewhere that the buses don't stop there as often??

Is there a place anywhere where people are trading pennies or posting wants? I'd be more than happy to swap pennies with someone if I could help someone out!

no pressed pennies, isn't like pins, their aren't no trading places, sorry, give you an excuse to go again to finsh the collection

I'm soaking my pennies in some vinegar & salt right now. I just wondered how long should they soak, and do they need to be scrubbed with an old toothbrush or something? Or will just soaking it do the trick? Thanks for the help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter