Pre-flight Covid test to USA

Lucys dad

Mouseketeer
I was hoping the requirement would be dropped by the end of June but it's looking less and less likely 😠 hopefully they just drop it out the blue with immediate effect but doubtful.

What are the current rules for testing ? is it a strict 24 hours before the flight leaves or is anytime the day before OK ? We fly at 11am but for travel reasons it would be really useful to take the test at 8 or 9 am the previous day.

Thanks

is it a strict 24 hours before the flight leaves or is anytime the day before OK ?
No, it's done by days not hours. You can take the test anytime on the day before travel (or on the same day of course).

I was hoping the requirement would be dropped by the end of June but it's looking less and less likely
With the currently rising infection rates in the US I can't see it happening soon. I'm hoping it will be gone by the time I go in October ...

Don't forget that if you are doing an at-home test, it will need to be video-monitored. Qured offer this but you have to remember to tick the box to add it to their normal antigen/lateral flow test.

Otherwise you'll need to find a place to be tested but my wife & I both used Qured's online video testing service and it went very smoothly. Good turnaround time.

We were told that it had to be within 24 hours of the time of our flight, our flight was 10am so we weren't allowed to take it until after 10 am the day before. I would double check on that, just to be safe.

We were told that it had to be within 24 hours of the time of our flight, our flight was 10am so we weren't allowed to take it until after 10 am the day before. I would double check on that, just to be safe.
From the CDC website (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html) FAQs / Timing Requirements:

The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.

Don't forget that if you are doing an at-home test, it will need to be video-monitored. Qured offer this but you have to remember to tick the box to add it to their normal antigen/lateral flow test.

Otherwise you'll need to find a place to be tested but my wife & I both used Qured's online video testing service and it went very smoothly. Good turnaround time.
I used them when I went to New York in March and found them pretty good. Will stick with them again.👍

From the CDC website (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html) FAQs / Timing Requirements:

The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.
Thats what I was hoping. I flew earlier in the year and it was not a problem. This time though I'm going with the whole family and have to travel to Manchester from Scotland, stay over and fly the next day. Was keen to test before we leave home but it's effectively 27 hours before we fly. It really is a massive pain 🤦🏻

The testing agency gave me the wrong information. I'm pretty ticked off about that as we could have set off for the airport a lot earlier than we did. Mr J. says we are doing it differently next trip.

The testing agency gave me the wrong information.
There is a lot of confusion about it, partly because many news outlets use 24 hours and 1 day interchangeably.
Also some other countries may (have) used 24 hours, which the testing agency has to deal with as well. That said, they are supposed to be experts who know the rules ...

Test just needs to be the day before. My flight back to the US was on 5/19 at 4 pm. My test was on the 18th at 10 am at a testing center. My daughter did her test via video at 11pm on the 18th. Both uploaded and approved perfectly fine.

Just been doing a bit of research and found this article which seems hopeful that the testing will go 'soonish' (month or two maybe - "US airlines have hinted that the rules could ease in a matter of weeks.").
When is the US dropping pre-departure tests for vaccinated travellers?
(Article updated 30 May, so is recent.)

I'm afraid the airlines were talking in mid-April, which assumed early-mid May was when it would be dropped. Since then cases seemed to have ticked up and all the information seems to suggest USA are having another wave. I just can't see them dropping it any time soon. The UK transport minister was saying he was getting noises from his counterpart that it might go at some point in the Summer. But all these articles got very excited around mid April and they are just saying the same things, with a new date. Even though I am going mid August I am just assuming testing will remain and if not, would be a great bonus.

But all these articles got very excited around mid April and they are just saying the same things, with a new date.
I guess so, but it's good to know that the US companies and population themselves are pressing to get it lifted - it's not just us foreigners.

Even though I am going mid August I am just assuming testing will remain and if not, would be a great bonus.
Absolutely. I'm not going till late October but I've got time built in to my schedule to get a rapid antigen test at the airport the day before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter