POTS and DAS?

FirstDown

Mouseketeer
Hi! My one day in WDW in April of 2015 was difficult with POTS, tachycardia, vasovagal syncope, and more. My family is heading back again in April of 2017, and I didn't know if I would qualify for DAS or if they would just tell me to get a scooter (which I am not going to do because my legs go numb very quickly).

Any advice on obtaining DAS would be greatly appreciated! I will stock up on Gatorade/PowerAde during that week and do all I can on my end. Thank you!

In order to get a DAS you need to talk to the CM about what kinda of help you need in line they do not care about DX do think about what you need in lines if your needs are to be able to sit then you will not need a DAD card

There is a WDW DAS thread posted near the top of this board that can answer your questions.

Basically, you need to be able to explain what issues you have related to wasting in the regular lines. Keep in mind that there are no spots to sit down once you are actually in line, whether you are in the regular line or the Fastpass line.
So, if you suddenly or frequently need a spot to sit, you need to plan for some type of mobility device, even if you get DAS. Many people find a rollator (wheeled walker with a fold down seat) meets their needs.

You need to be able to explain your needs as they pertain to waiting in the actual line. Think about the difficulties you had on your last trip - too much walking or standing? Too much sitting? CMs need to understand why your disability (regardless of what it is) prevents you from waiting in the standard line. If the difficulties are considered mobility or stamina related, it is highy unlikely you will be issued a DAS.

also whether or not you get a DAS I think you can have a great time if you have a good touring plan this will help with lines ( even if you do have a DAS you will have to find a place to sit and if you have a hard time standing you may not be able to find a set when you need one. book your FP for between 11 and 3 then when you use your last one get another one and so on.

what kinds of things do you need help with in lines as there maybe things you have not thought of that could help you.

Well, my biggest fear is passing out/fainting in line from my blood pressure dropping. The heat and humidity make my low BP and high heart rate much worse. My cardiologist wants me to avoid the rapid drop in BP as much as possible. She gave me some other advice as well.

I would get a wheel chair or roller and use it to push and when you need to sit then you have some place to sit ( I know you do not like this idea but it might be what you need to have a good vacation ) If you were to get a DAS you would still have to do FP and there have been times when the FP lines have been over 20 minutes.

Drink a lot of water and first aid has free gator aid ( if you need it) and has beds ( coats) where you can lie down.

Some other things you can do to beat the heat

I bring an umbrella but only use it if there are not a lot of people around or I use it some times if the line is in the sun

Cooling cloths like O2cool

Fain with mister

I wear Columbia zero or freeze cloths and I think it really helps

You might want to have an ADR for the heat of the day like around 4

Free ice water at QS

there's a few ideas for you

Thank you for those suggestions so much! I'm going to research today. I get motion sickness too really bad so at least lots of the rides with super long waits, I won't be waiting in (or my family). I really appreciate your help!

Is there anyone who has POTS or something similar?

My daughter has POTS, we did a trip in November. We went then hoping it would be cool but of course temps were in the high 70s and 80s. We didn't even try for DAS because between FP+ and a good touring plan we didn't plan on spending a long time in line. We did rent a wheelchair for her, she tried walking the first day and soon realized she wasn't going to be able to last the week. She also gets bad motion sickness so she wore seabands all week and that help. Since it was just the two of us we took a lot of breaks in the shade.

The one thing I will do differently next trip for her is not use Disney transportation. It was tough after a long day, she was just so exhausted and with me driving she can rest even if it does take some time. This was her first trip to Disney with POTS, my older son also has it but he refuses to use a chair so he just did less and less each day. Luckily the kids have all been numerous times so we don't need to do everything multiple times.

Thanks again, all! No Disney busses since I always have to drive due to motion sickness. Sitting down isn't the problem if it is outside since my heart will still be racing, and I will still be struggling to not have that shortness of breath.

Hoping I can obtain the DAS so I can stay in the A/C more then go on a few rides. I realize I will still have some outside time waiting in lines.

I have POTS. I found athletic compression tights that help me a LOT. For my trip to disneyworld I needed medications but now I do not. I might bring myself a rollator in case I have to stand still too long in a line for my trip to Disneyland this summer though.

I have idiopathic cerebral salt wasting syndrome. Essentially my body doesn't store sodium and tries to get it out any way it can (last time I was at WDW I was losing so much salt through sweat that we were able to scoop it off my legs). But since I don't have enough sodium, my bp will rapidly drop and I'll lose vision, hearing, and then faint. So I do understand, and you're not alone. :) I personally stand in lines and just sat down on the ground if I needed to for a minute. Plus I ate more pickles and drank more gatorade than you could ever imagine, and we upped my meds.

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate your stories, and how no one thought I was just trying to "milk the system" or anything like that. I won't even attempt the DAS pass then. If this isn't too personal of a question, is there a daily medicine some of you take? My cardiologist has me on Levsin for when I feel the syncope coming on. I've had to recent episodes of fainting though, and I see her soon, so I was just curious if there is a daily medicine that helps. Maybe there is also one that won't make me FEEL TIRED ALL DAY LONG! ugh...

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate your stories, and how no one thought I was just trying to "milk the system" or anything like that. I won't even attempt the DAS pass then. If this isn't too personal of a question, is there a daily medicine some of you take? My cardiologist has me on Levsin for when I feel the syncope coming on. I've had to recent episodes of fainting though, and I see her soon, so I was just curious if there is a daily medicine that helps. Maybe there is also one that won't make me FEEL TIRED ALL DAY LONG! ugh...

check out www.dinet.org (forums tab) TONS of info for POTS and other types of dysautonomia

The DAS is not determined by diagnosis - you have to tell the CMs the problem you would have. Is there something about your health that would make it unsafe or impossible for you to wait in a standard queue. That is how the need is determined. Using a DAS because your health would keep you from waiting in a standard queue is not "milking the system" - it is just another accommodation, like me using a wheelchair because I cannot walk enough to access the parks.

That being said, there are many other things you can do to help - I have POTS/OI. Like others said, plan breaks, alternate standing/riding attractions with shows and meals, have a rollator or wheelchair to sit when you need to, cooling fans, etc.

Also, after you have been there for a while, if you are still struggling after doing what you can on your own (cooling fans, breaks, wheelchair/rollator, etc), then go to Guest Relations and see if they have any ideas. No rule that says you must get a DAS right away. See if you can do it, and if you can't, then ask for assistance.

I have Pots and will be attempting to get a DAS card this trip as I have gotten very sick this year. I have a few other symptoms though that make waiting in line very hard for me. I understand not wanting a wheelchair as that won't help with most symptoms. (I will probably use a regular wheel chair this trip as I am just to week at this point to walk through a park. but Will only use it as transportation then park it and walk around that area as I would probably be more sick sitting in one all day) If you feel like you would benefit for one. Think of all the reasons why waiting in line is hard for you, there is more to POTS then just getting dizzy so think about what those are for you. Tell them you can't sit in a wheel chair because it will make the blood pool in your legs and you wont have enough to go to your brain. Just be open and honest and at best they will be able to help make your trip easier on you and at worst they say no.

I have Pots and will be attempting to get a DAS card this trip as I have gotten very sick this year. I have a few other symptoms though that make waiting in line very hard for me. I understand not wanting a wheelchair as that won't help with most symptoms. (I will probably use a regular wheel chair this trip as I am just to week at this point to walk through a park. but Will only use it as transportation then park it and walk around that area as I would probably be more sick sitting in one all day) If you feel like you would benefit for one. Think of all the reasons why waiting in line is hard for you, there is more to POTS then just getting dizzy so think about what those are for you. Tell them you can't sit in a wheel chair because it will make the blood pool in your legs and you wont have enough to go to your brain. Just be open and honest and at best they will be able to help make your trip easier on you and at worst they say no.
Just because you have a wheel chair dose not mean you have to sit in it all day you can push it and sit when you need too. You can even take it in lines with you so that you can sit and stand when you need too. This way you do not have to worry about sitting all day or have your wheel chair stolen it finding it latter in the day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter