Post your hilariously bad Disney tips/advice!

I totally agree with this. I don't think people need to wait for some age but that doesn't mean there can't be those advantages to waiting. I think maybe the age question becomes more relevant when you just don't think you're going to be back soon enough. That may mean you take a trip when they are really young and then wait a long time and don't go back until they are older or you wait until they are older because you aren't able to go as much. I think people should be considering that and how their child will do. A child who doesn't do well with long outtings, gets very cranky in the heat and sun well that's probably not going to be a good age to take the child to Disney no matter how much you would love to take your 2,3 or 4 year old. I know from my mom oh boy I was a tyrant when I was really young. I was a fussy baby and as a toddler awful. I evened out a bit more when I was 5 or 6. I'm okay admitting that :teeth:

My XH has a new baby and he’s already said he will not be taking her to Disney until She’s at least 5. And this is coming from a guy who went every year as a kid and we took our kids numerous times. He may make an exception if I take DS for his graduation gift but he said if he does it’ll be to join our son for a day at magic kingdom. He’ll take his daughter but he won’t do a week long trip and he will stay with family and do a Florida vacation, no theme parks.

Different strokes. Everyone has to do what’s best for them.

Our first trip with kids was when our oldest were 2 and 4, DH had a business trip there. We stayed at a Marriott vacation club property and my parents came. We soon learned our kids would rather play in the pool than go to the parks, which was fine since a lot of our expenses were covered. Our next trip was when #4 and #5 were almost 5.

I remember those trips. Arriving to Disney ready to hit the parks and all the kids wanted was the pool. Lol.

My nurse from last night kept making Epcot pleural. "Epcots has lots of different countries. But you need a ticket to visit them." It isn't wrong, but annoying.

I don't think this falls under "bad advice". It's really subjective to the individuals/family. For my family of introverts, spending the entire day in a Disney park sounds like a version of hell. We don't need to nap (kids are now 14-21), but we need to escape from the noise/crowds/overstimulation for a few hours. It's a better use of our money if we are enjoying the parks (and for us that requires breaks)

As for considering the impact of meltdowns on other's enjoyment, that is certainly true. But I don't think it applies only to small children. I think I've seen way more adults having meltdowns than toddlers at WDW. Almost always because: 1. they have been in the parks too long or 2. they are worried about how expensive it is and forcing everyone to have a good time/get their money's worth

We started going to Disney when my youngest was under two. We always went for 10-14 days, so there was no pressure to stay all day in any park to be able to see everything. Never had any whining/crying/tantrums, but my kids have always been pretty easy going. I'm way more likely to get hangry/whiney/meltdown than they ever have been. The only time we had any issues was during our most recent trip-- and all of those tantrums were my MOTHER.
As an adult I’ve had meltdowns there 😂

My kids both went for the first time at age 4. In hindsight, too young. Still needed naps. They really weren't up for all day at the parks until about age 8. Just too expensive to be there to not take full advantage of the parks by having to take 2 or 3 hours out of the day for a nap. But were are hard core Disneyland folks. In the park at 630 am, out at midnight. Used to be in the park until 1 am when they stayed open that late. That was our disappointment during our one trip to Disneyworld. The parks there open late and close early. And of course you have to consider the impact of your child's meltdown on the enjoyment of the parks by others.
I was 8 on my first trip, and frankly, other than the pictures, I really don't remember the trip. Most memorable thing was after the trip. We went in 1965 the month before the Watts Riots. The hotel we stayed at was burned down in the riots, a picture of it burning down made the front page of my local paper.

Omg, I would hate that. That's how my BIL and his family go to Disneyland. We bought into VGC and stay a few days so people can come and go as they please. I think going all day would cause multiple meltdowns, and my kids are in their 20's.

Omg, I would hate that. That's how my BIL and his family go to Disneyland. We bought into VGC and stay a few days so people can come and go as they please. I think going all day would cause multiple meltdowns, and my kids are in their 20's.

I think more people visiting Disneyland are day visitors as opposed to WDW where there are fewer day visitors (though there are still many that go commando at the parks even if they are there for several days)

Lord, my mom was 80 on her last trip to Disneyland and she was in at 630 am and stayed until the park closed at Midnight.
My 29 year old daughter wont go anymore, not because of the all day stay. Her last trip she came come all bruised up from wreckless stroller operators crashing into her.
My daughter in law lived until she 18 years old 40 miles from Disneyland and NEVER WENT. I think the first time she went with my son, she was ready for a nap by 8 am!

I think more people visiting Disneyland are day visitors as opposed to WDW where there are fewer day visitors (though there are still many that go commando at the parks even if they are there for several days)

Yeah, I think this may be the difference in mentality. If I paid for one day tickets for my entire family, I would definitely feel the need to be in the park from rope drop to close to "get my money's worth".

We used to always get 10 day park hoppers years ago when there was like a $10 difference in price between a 4 day ticket and a 10 day ticket. So, if half the days were essentially "free" then you weren't really wasting any money by not being in the parks all day every day. Even if you just went for an hour or two, you still got some value for an admission that didn't really cost you any extra.

Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom are the same and Main Streets are exactly the same.

This is not exactly true. MK has much more space than DL which leads to DL having more choke points. The overall layout is very similar, but not the same at all. I con't say im Main Street is any smaller at DL, but the hub area in front of the castle is definitely smaller.

This is not exactly true. MK has much more space than DL which leads to DL having more choke points. The overall layout is very similar, but not the same at all. I con't say im Main Street is any smaller at DL, but the hub area in front of the castle is definitely smaller.
Of course it's not true. That's the point of this thread. Things that people say that's untrue about Disney.

Yes. This advice was told to me once by a coworker. She was angrily adamant that I was wrong that they were extremely different. :)

Yes. This advice was told to me once by a coworker. She was angrily adamant that I was wrong that they were extremely different. :)

Oh, geeze, my bad! I thought I was reading the tread about re-opening Disneyland and the social distancing aspect of the potential spread of COVID. I just spaced on which tab I was reading. :confused:

You’ll only be able to eat burgers and chicken nuggets because it’s a theme park. —I used to believe this.

Funny enough I didn’t go to WDW until I was 20 and we stayed with family. My ex had been every year as a kid. They always stayed offsite, packed food and ate back at their car. Or went offsite to eat. For that trip we ate offsite and I believe we ate burgers at electric umbrella once.

Fast forward 5 years later and we are planning our next trip. This time we were staying offsite. I googled Disney world and found the Dis. Then I find the restaurant board. And that’s how I found out WDW had table service restaurants! Lol. I was sooooo excited. There were Character meals!!!!! I booked 3 meals. CP, GG, TH. We loved it! My ex never knew about this.

After that I kept reading on here and found out about on-site, DDP, etc and we did a “proper” onsite trip with DDP in 2009. After that I was hooked and I showed my ex a whole new world.

You’ll only be able to eat burgers and chicken nuggets because it’s a theme park. —I used to believe this.
That's what my DH thought about UO before we went there for the first time. He didn't want to go because the food at WDW is so good.

When I mentioned that they had The Palm and some of Emeril's restaurants, he opened up to the idea. But, he also didn't want to go to Maine the first time we went... also because of the restaurant situation (as he perceived it). After he went the first time, we went 9 years in a row.

So, guess what the most important thing on any vacation is to my DH? lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter