Post Pandemic Pipe Dreams: Our 2022-23 PTR (Completed)

How are you feeling? Better I hope.

So, I've been feeling fine pretty much since the beginning. It never got any worse than very mild cold symptoms.

That said, today is day 13 and I'm *still* isolating from the family! There's a growing body of evidence that the current variants can leave people contagious longer than prior strains. Since we didn't want to risk anyone else getting sick in the leadup to Disney, we agreed I would test out with a negative antigen test.

(Without getting too in the weeds, after a recent infection, a negative test means you're extremely unlikely to be contagious. A positive test could potentially be viral protein that's lingering, but is more likely to still be live virus, meaning you're still contagious. If you're still antigen positive, even after 10 days, the safest thing to do is assume you're still contagious.)

Of course, I'm one of the unlucky ones that is continuing to test positive way too long. Today is day 13 and the positive line was very faint, so I'm expecting to be clear tomorrow. Thank goodness that the grands have had the kids in OCNJ, so my isolation isn't forcing Hubby into extra solo parenting time. I keep thinking I should just say, "Screw it, I'm probably fine, this is silly." but, gosh darn it, if I did that and ended up with a kid testing positive while we were in Orlando, I would never forgive myself.

So, I'm cooped the heck up, although I've had plenty of time to pack everything we aren't using between now and Thursday. 4 days to go!!!

So, I'm cooped the heck up, although I've had plenty of time to pack everything we aren't using between now and Thursday. 4 days to go!!!
Glad to hear that you are feeling relatively fine. That is good!

Thank goodness that the grands have had the kids in OCNJ, so my isolation isn't forcing Hubby into extra solo parenting time
You are sooooo lucky with that.

I keep thinking I should just say, "Screw it, I'm probably fine, this is silly." but, gosh darn it, if I did that and ended up with a kid testing positive while we were in Orlando, I would never forgive myself.
No, you are right, better safe than sorry. You have waited so long for this trip, don't ruin it now!

I will say DH and I went into Philly last night for dinner in literally the longest time. And MAN people have gone back to normal! I know I shouldn't be surprised at this point but I was.

Glad you tested negative! When I had it back in June, it took until day 14 for me to test negative, as well. So, so frustrating!

And now that everyone has had it recently, hopefully you all will be good to go while at Disney and can enjoy the parks with peace of mind that none of you "should" come home with an extra souvenir named Covid.

Hope the packing is going well!

Glad you tested negative! When I had it back in June, it took until day 14 for me to test negative, as well. So, so frustrating!

And now that everyone has had it recently, hopefully you all will be good to go while at Disney and can enjoy the parks with peace of mind that none of you "should" come home with an extra souvenir named Covid.

Hope the packing is going well!

Ooof, sorry you had the prolonged positives, too. So glad I'm on the other side of that, and that we can be relatively confident that we aren't bringing Covid home from Disney!

Hooray for testing negative! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thank you! Two more days!!!

I Miss Sleep!

We fly tomorrow, woo hoo!! Of course, that means I've been waking up at 5am this week to think about whether I remembered to pack something (I did), worry about checking into our flight exactly at 24 hours (I have a calendar reminder), or play out a myriad of possibilities related to traffic or flight delays that are entirely out of my control. I'm tired!

I've been checking Bay Lake weather regularly. You'll be shocked to hear that it'll be 90 degrees +/-2 with a chance of thunderstorms every day. I'm not worried about storms in general, it's a long trip, but I really hope our MNSSHP doesn't get rained out. I had originally picked Tuesday in part because, if the weather was junk, we could swap into Friday. That's off the table with all of the parties selling out weeks in advance, so I'm left with crossing fingers and toes for good party weather.

Everything that we don't need to use in the next 24 hours is packed, and my "Day Of" list is very detailed, so there's not much I can do until tomorrow morning except wait.

Any tips or tricks for managing to roll back over and actually fall asleep tomorrow when I inevitably wake up at 4:45? Because tossing and turning for 20 minutes before giving in and getting up is getting old.

Seems like so long ago and also just yesterday that you started writing about this trip! I don't post often but I always read, I really enjoyed your past trip reports. So exciting that there's only 1 sleep left! I have no advice for you about sleep the night before, it never works for me either even when I have lists for my lists :rotfl2: Wishing you a wonderful trip and lots of priceless memories made with your girls!

Crash Landing On The Return

We’re home!! We’ve actually been home for nearly a week, but I have been so busy just trying to get through each day that I haven’t had time to update. I’ll start a full TR soon once I have things in order, but we had a blast!

As you know, AP sales didn’t magically resume while we were on property, so that final nail has found its coffin. I paid our balance for the Wish and adjusted our hotel room to stay on property for two nights after the cruise. For about 12 hours, I convinced myself that it was a good idea to grab the Poly club level room that popped up for our dates. It was *only* two nights and we’d have a lot of resort time the first day and Poly was the dream, yadda yadda. In truth, neither Hubby nor I could stomach over $1k per night for a hotel room! We’re currently booked at Yacht for those two nights and I’m checking multiple times a day to see if something comes up at Poly for non-club rooms. Lots of other resorts are popping in and out of availability, so I’m hopeful that my frequent searches will pay off.

Our November ADR day came during our August stay, and the only thing I pulled was Hoop Dee Doo for the night we get off the cruise. I think the girls are going to want to ride all the things on our actual park day, so we won’t be locked to any ADRs.

I’m trying to get into the spirit of this new trip: listening to DCL podcasts, ordering matching cruise outfits, and such. I’m sure we’ll have an amazing time, but it’s going to take a little longer for Hubby and me to set aside the year that was to be. We’ve had a lot of practice resetting expectations these last 2.5 years, so you’d think we’d be better at it, but this one stings.

On a personal front, I am wiped! I managed to Go! Go! Go! throughout the trip, but coming home feels like I finally fell off of that energy cliff. I can barely manage to stay awake past 8:30pm, no matter how hard I try. At least none of that started while we were still in Orlando.

Without APs, it looks like we’re doing a couple days at Rocking Horse Ranch for winter break, Grand Cayman for spring break, and maybe Disneyland for August 2023. That should give us a better gauge whether the kids will be up for the long flights and time changes of a Hawaii 2024. Honestly, I’m sure all of that is going to be incredible, but, as B said today, “... but no vacation will be as awesome as Disney!”

Yahoooo! Have the best trip ever!!

Not that’s it’s any consolation but we had a rainy Halloween party and it turned out ok….

Spoiler, I guess, but we did manage to pick the only dry MNSSHP in August. Definitely rocked the ponchos a few other nights, though...

I sadly have no advise for you. But have a great trip!!! You sound more than prepared!!!

Thanks! It was awesome; I can't wait to share.

Seems like so long ago and also just yesterday that you started writing about this trip! I don't post often but I always read, I really enjoyed your past trip reports. So exciting that there's only 1 sleep left! I have no advice for you about sleep the night before, it never works for me either even when I have lists for my lists :rotfl2: Wishing you a wonderful trip and lots of priceless memories made with your girls!

Yeah, woke up way to early for the flight and throughout the trip. My brain just can't shut off once it starts going. We had a great trip and I can't wait to share all about it!

I totally get the "let down" aspect. We have all had to give up so much over the last two years that it can be hard to keep letting go of things. We just cancelled a quick trip with my brother and both kids. The baby had a cold that lasted two weeks and I did not want to bring him on an airplane all congested. I came home from Disney with what I swear was Covid based on my phone alerting me to exposures, but I kept testing negative. So in hindsight it was the right choice. My brother was bummed because he really wants to go to Disney with my daughter. We moved it to January and told him we would still take him. You will have a great time on the Wish. It is such a pretty ship. I would have loved to see it decorated for Christmas.

*Warning: Turn Down the Volume On Your Devices*

I GOT THE POLY!!!!! :banana::Pinkbounc:bounce::jumping1::bounce::Pinkbounc:banana:

After weeks of check every morning for the two nights after our cruise, finally (FINALLY!!), Disney's Polynesian Villas and Bungalows showed up on the list of available options. I quickly went into My Plans, clicked Change Reservation on our Yacht Club stay, and anxiously watched as the worst website ever designed loaded as slowly as possible. Hubby was in the room with me, hearing me angrily say, "Don't you crap out. Don't make me lose this room!" as the site took its time loading available options, letting me select the resort, then the room type, and making me click "Confirm" a few more times, just to give it more chances to fail on me.

In spite of Disney's horrid IT, I am now the proud holder of a two night reservation so that the girls can celebrate their 9th birthday at the Polynesian! Even better, the room that happened to pop up was a standard view deluxe studio, so I don't have to pay an extra $150 a night for a water/garden view that I don't care about.

It's possible I'm still high on the booking adrenaline. When it completed, I was leaping up and down. If I knew how, this post would be accompanied by trumpet fanfare. As it stands, please read this while imagining that a very celebratory horn section is playing loudly all around you. 🎺🎺🎺

Welcome home! So sorry about the AP situation, so rough but I think the wish will be fun and I can’t wait to hear about it!!

Thanks! I'm sure it'll be a great trip; everyone raves about Disney cruises!

I totally get the "let down" aspect. We have all had to give up so much over the last two years that it can be hard to keep letting go of things.

Right, it's like picking at a wound. Every time we have to give something else up, it gets a little harder. The year of Disney is one of the things that got us through when we were busy giving up other stuff, like family holidays and vacations. This was supposed to be the big celebratory time when we were done giving things up for the sake of the pandemic. I think that's why it's hitting so much harder.

You will have a great time on the Wish. It is such a pretty ship.

Thanks! I know we'll have a blast!

*Warning: Turn Down the Volume On Your Devices*

I GOT THE POLY!!!!! :banana::Pinkbounc:bounce::jumping1::bounce::Pinkbounc:banana:

After weeks of check every morning for the two nights after our cruise, finally (FINALLY!!), Disney's Polynesian Villas and Bungalows showed up on the list of available options. I quickly went into My Plans, clicked Change Reservation on our Yacht Club stay, and anxiously watched as the worst website ever designed loaded as slowly as possible. Hubby was in the room with me, hearing me angrily say, "Don't you crap out. Don't make me lose this room!" as the site took its time loading available options, letting me select the resort, then the room type, and making me click "Confirm" a few more times, just to give it more chances to fail on me.

In spite of Disney's horrid IT, I am now the proud holder of a two night reservation so that the girls can celebrate their 9th birthday at the Polynesian! Even better, the room that happened to pop up was a standard view deluxe studio, so I don't have to pay an extra $150 a night for a water/garden view that I don't care about.

It's possible I'm still high on the booking adrenaline. When it completed, I was leaping up and down. If I knew how, this post would be accompanied by trumpet fanfare. As it stands, please read this while imagining that a very celebratory horn section is playing loudly all around you. 🎺🎺🎺
Omg this is amazing!!!! Congrats! What are your dates for November again? Is it over jersey week I couldn’t remember 🤣

Omg this is amazing!!!! Congrats! What are your dates for November again? Is it over jersey week I couldn’t remember 🤣
Yup, Jersey Week lines up with their birthday this year because election day is the latest it gets. The next birthday that should line up gets skipped because of a leap year, so this is the only time through high school where we can do a Disney birthday on the exact date without missing school.

Cruise 11/7-11/11, Poly 11/11-11/13

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter