Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I have a September flight scheduled from JAN (Jackson, MS) leaving at 6:30 pm that arrives in ATL at 8:45 pm with a 50 minute layover that departs ATL at 9:35 pm and arrives at MCO at 11:05 pm (which is the last flight of the day). Is this a good idea or cutting it too close? I have never flown to ATL so I am not sure of the airport size or layout, but I have heard how busy it is. We wanted to take the last flight that day so we could work at our jobs until lunch time, plus that would give us a whole park day the next day instead of losing time traveling. We could take an earlier flight that day, but would have to miss a whole day of work, which is going to be difficult. I have been seeing and hearing about many flight delays recently and I am worried a 50 minute layover, plus being booked on the last flight of the day may not be a risk worth taking. We will have a 2 year old, so being trapped in an airport for too long can be bad also. Last year our first flight got delayed in Memphis, but our connecting flight in Chicago didn't and we almost got left behind. The plane was not going to wait for us and we made it with just a couple minutes to spare before they closed the door. Definitely don't want to go through that again. I would love to hear some opinions on what to do or if anyone has any experience with this.

I have a September flight scheduled from JAN (Jackson, MS) leaving at 6:30 pm that arrives in ATL at 8:45 pm with a 50 minute layover that departs ATL at 9:35 pm and arrives at MCO at 11:05 pm (which is the last flight of the day). Is this a good idea or cutting it too close? I have never flown to ATL so I am not sure of the airport size or layout, but I have heard how busy it is. We wanted to take the last flight that day so we could work at our jobs until lunch time, plus that would give us a whole park day the next day instead of losing time traveling. We could take an earlier flight that day, but would have to miss a whole day of work, which is going to be difficult. I have been seeing and hearing about many flight delays recently and I am worried a 50 minute layover, plus being booked on the last flight of the day may not be a risk worth taking. We will have a 2 year old, so being trapped in an airport for too long can be bad also. Last year our first flight got delayed in Memphis, but our connecting flight in Chicago didn't and we almost got left behind. The plane was not going to wait for us and we made it with just a couple minutes to spare before they closed the door. Definitely don't want to go through that again. I would love to hear some opinions on what to do or if anyone has any experience with this.
I don't often take connecting flights but can say that most of the SW gates are relatively close to each other even if ATL is huge

I don't often take connecting flights but can say that most of the SW gates are relatively close to each other even if ATL is huge
Thanks! I don't normally take connecting flights either, but these days it's the only way you can get a flight a lot of the time from the airports in our area. Hopefully one day they will go back to daily nonstop flights. I guess I am more worried about a flight delay and missing the last flight out of ATL to MCO that day.

Unfortunately it's not up to the airlines. It's an FAA rule, and an international rule.
The chatter I hear from pilots is that there are those seeking to increase the age with the FAA and it's brought up from time to time. I suspect there will be pressure to move in that direction.

So I have flights that is taking me through the Houston airport (apparently there's no nonstop flights from Memphis to Orlando anymore ☹️) in July. Going down on Friday I'm not too worried, as we have 1.5 hrs between, but returning home on Monday we have only 50 minutes between landing time and take off time of the next flight. We will have at least 1 checked bag. I've never been to the Houston airport... is this going to be a problem? Will we have enough time to get to the next gate before boarding is called? (I'm a nervous flyer and wouldn't do great separated from my husband. I need my A boarding lol) Will our luggage make the 2nd flight okay?
Getting super nervous about it, but the other flight options are all terrible and at this point costly to switch.

So I have flights that is taking me through the Houston airport (apparently there's no nonstop flights from Memphis to Orlando anymore ☹️) in July. Going down on Friday I'm not too worried, as we have 1.5 hrs between, but returning home on Monday we have only 50 minutes between landing time and take off time of the next flight. We will have at least 1 checked bag. I've never been to the Houston airport... is this going to be a problem? Will we have enough time to get to the next gate before boarding is called? (I'm a nervous flyer and wouldn't do great separated from my husband. I need my A boarding lol) Will our luggage make the 2nd flight okay?
Getting super nervous about it, but the other flight options are all terrible and at this point costly to switch.
Check to see if it’s Houston Hobby (more likely) or intercontinental. Hobby is much smaller and easier to get around. 50 mins should be plenty of time there.

Heads up, it looks like SW did some flight changes overnight. My October flights changed by 5 minutes on the departure. Not much, but it was enough for me to be able to hop on an earlier flight without an upcharge. Here’s hoping the new schedule holds!

Houston Hobby airport is the main airport SW uses in Houston and the biggest carrier at that airport. For the most part, it shouldn't be too difficult to get to your departure gate. The major portion of the gate area is one long rectangle. The passage to the ticketing area is at the midway point. Even if you have to go from one end to the other end, it is doable with a 50 minute lay over. There are 4ish newer gates. To get to these gates, you have to travel down the passage to the ticketing area. As you approach the point where most people would go downstairs for ground transportation/baggage, you would go left and keep on walking to the new gate area. You would still be within the secure area. The chances of this new area being your connection is small. Don't worry - I just wanted you to be prepared just in case. You could still make it to the further area with a 50 minute lay over. You would just want to walk with a purpose to be sure you make it to the A boarding group.

Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport is huge. But the SW gate area is very small. I'll check with DD as she has flown SW several times from here recently. But I am pretty sure there are only a limited number of gates all close together. I arrived here once, but she is my SW expert. SW is just now trying to reestablish a presence at IAH after many years of having no flights here. Your chances of this being the connection are probably very small. If you were to have a connection at IAH, it should be easy peasy.

Sometimes I like to print a PDF of the airport that I am flying into or connecting with prior to my flight. Then, when the gate is assigned, I am able to figure out where I will be going ahead of time. Of course, just when I have it all figured out, my gate is changed. :)

Your chances of flying into the main gate area at Hobby are very good. Flying at this time is so unpredictable. Changing the flight may or may not even help on travel day.

Check to see if it’s Houston Hobby (more likely) or intercontinental. Hobby is much smaller and easier to get around. 50 mins should be plenty of time there.
It is Houston (Hobby).
Sounds like we should be okay, as long as the flight is on time. 😬 🙏
Hopefully our luggage can changeover that quickly as well.

I just checked in for my flight to Denver and even with purchasing EBCI, my family got boarding group B 19-22. Are we still going to be able to find two seats together? My boys would like to sit beside each other. In all my years of flying SW and always buying EBCI, I never got boarding group B.

We have had a 35 minute layover many times landing in ATL on Delta and the terminal are not close to each other. they are boarding when we get there but we have yet to miss a flight.

we are fly out of JAN in September on SW for the first time. Any tips on parking at JAN?
we have a direct flight booked with SW -scored a great deal for $59 each way.

I just checked in for my flight to Denver and even with purchasing EBCI, my family got boarding group B 19-22. Are we still going to be able to find two seats together? My boys would like to sit beside each other. In all my years of flying SW and always buying EBCI, I never got boarding group B.
I am sorry that I don't have an answer but bet the experts will arrive to help. I actually have a question for you. When did you purchase the EBCI?

I am flying solo to MCO and bought EBCI because I didn't want to end up in a middle seat. After SW added EBCI as a perk for Anytime Fare, I got nervous.

Edited to correct mistake

Last edited:
I’d expect finding two seats together should be okay with these B positions. (I get B positions more often than I would like with EBCI.)

I am sorry that I don't have an answer but bet the experts will arrive to help. I actually have a question for you. When did you purchase the EBCI?

I am flying solo to MCO and bought EBCI because I didn't want to end up in a middle seat. After SW added EBCI as a perk for Business Select, I got nervous.
Business Select doesn't have EBCI. I think you may mean Anytime Fare

Between A-List, Anytime fares getting EBCI and the number of connecting flights it's not surprising. There are only 45 spaces in the A group, If 50 people book on release day and either buy Anytime fares or add EBCI right away, they're all gone. Anybody that has EBCI on a connecting flight is going to get a higher number on their second flight since they are getting checked in before EBCI check in happens for originating passengers.

Between A-List, Anytime fares getting EBCI and the number of connecting flights it's not surprising. There are only 45 spaces in the A group, If 50 people book on release day and either buy Anytime fares or add EBCI right away, they're all gone. Anybody that has EBCI on a connecting flight is going to get a higher number on their second flight since they are getting checked in before EBCI check in happens for originating passengers.
I've thought there was a lot of competition for those early numbers but seeing it written out is eye-opening.

We have had a 35 minute layover many times landing in ATL on Delta and the terminal are not close to each other. they are boarding when we get there but we have yet to miss a flight.

we are fly out of JAN in September on SW for the first time. Any tips on parking at JAN?
we have a direct flight booked with SW -scored a great deal for $59 each way.
That’s kind of what I’m afraid of. Last year on that Chicago flight we were the last to board so we all had to separate, which is fine, but we will have a toddler this time so that changes things for us.

That’s exactly what we did was book on that $59 deal! We’ve never flown out of JAN before so I have no idea about parking or where that airport even is. We live closer to Memphis so that’s our normal airport, but the MEM prices were not $59. 😞

I’ve been super sad about no more direct flights from MEM to MCO lately too. I hate having to change planes! I’ve flown to Hobby many times from MEM. The gates are very close to each other so you should be fine as long as your first flight isn’t delayed and they wait for you on the second flight if it is. I can’t say about your luggage making it though. I try to only do carry on as much as possible when changing planes is involved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter