Possible travel late August

I mentioned in another thread I think the testing is complicated enough that people are mixing up the requirements. I dunno - is there value in a dedicated "This is what/how/where to test to go where" thread?

For example - you do NOT need a PCR test to board a flight to Canada or the US.. On the way to the States a Rapid Antigen is accepted as per CDC guidelines, and to board a flight back to Canada an NAAT test is acceptable. Those are available for free at many Walgreens, at least at the moment.

For example, for my wife's trip at the end of this month to see her parents in Nashville (for the first time in 18 months :() she will get a $40 antigen test at Shoppers for the way there, and a (free) NAAT test at Walgreens for the way back. And then (and this is the only thing I am not sure of) when she deplanes at YYZ it is my understanding she will be given another free test, which if positive will mean a quarantine (but no need to isolate until the results come in).

I mentioned in another thread I think the testing is complicated enough that people are mixing up the requirements. I dunno - is there value in a dedicated "This is what/how/where to test to go where" thread?

For example - you do NOT need a PCR test to board a flight to Canada or the US.. On the way to the States a Rapid Antigen is accepted as per CDC guidelines, and to board a flight back to Canada an NAAT test is acceptable. Those are available for free at many Walgreens, at least at the moment.

For example, for my wife's trip at the end of this month to see her parents in Nashville (for the first time in 18 months :() she will get a $40 antigen test at Shoppers for the way there, and a (free) NAAT test at Walgreens for the way back. And then (and this is the only thing I am not sure of) when she deplanes at YYZ it is my understanding she will be given another free test, which if positive will mean a quarantine (but no need to isolate until the results come in).
Oh really? This is interesting! I thought there were only antigen tests and PCR tests and thought antigen was needed for going into US and PCR needed going into Canada. This would be fabulous! I will have to look up info on NAAT test, are these offered same day?

If this is correct that’s awesome!! I thought we needed the expensive PCR test! It is so confusing because we are nervous of screwing it up and ruining our trip or our trip home.

If this is correct that’s awesome!! I thought we needed the expensive PCR test! It is so confusing because we are nervous of screwing it up and ruining our trip or our trip home.
Exactly! If there are other/easier/quicker/cheaper options than the PCR $175 for return to Canada that changes things for sure!

I cannot stress this enough. Actually go and read all the sections of the requirements pages, don’t just go by what you hear on the news. If you look on the travel.gc.ca website where it talks about ”accepted types of tests” there’s 20-30 different ones they’ll accept. It’s just media myth that you need the expensive PCR tests.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...ovid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada
DH and I went to Disney in June and we used the Walgreens Rapid ID Now tests to return to Canada, which are NAAT tests. No problems at all getting back into Canada.

We didn’t spend a cent on testing for our June trip. Did free antigen tests at Pearson as part of a study to get into the US and Walgreens didn’t charge us for their tests to return home.

For our August trip, we will be using the $40 Shoppers Drug Mart antigen tests (unless Pearson has cheaper testing options by that point) to get into the States and then the Walgreens tests again to return. Expected total costs of less than $100 Cdn, even if we end up needing an Uber to get to Walgreens. Can’t even get a whole night at a value resort for that, so compared to our other Disney costs, the testing costs are negligible.

Yes as bookbabe says, please everyone look at the government requirements online. Do not take a stranger’s word on the internet for it (ie me). My wife has a screenshot of both the CDC and Canadian accepted testing pages on her phone for her upcoming trip just in case.

As for the NAAT test - that is the Walgreens Rapid ID Now - there’s quite a few references to people’s experiences with that process in several threads in this forum - how to register, locations near Disney, how to manage the drive thru if you don’t have a car, etc - that are worth a search.

Yes as bookbabe says, please everyone look at the government requirements online. Do not take a stranger’s word on the internet for it (ie me). My wife has a screenshot of both the CDC and Canadian accepted testing pages on her phone for her upcoming trip just in case.

As for the NAAT test - that is the Walgreens Rapid ID Now - there’s quite a few references to people’s experiences with that process in several threads in this forum - how to register, locations near Disney, how to manage the drive thru if you don’t have a car, etc - that are worth a search.
Will look those threads up! Do you know off hand if the Walgreens ones accepted in Canada are same day result?

I cannot stress this enough. Actually go and read all the sections of the requirements pages, don’t just go by what you hear on the news. If you look on the travel.gc.ca website where it talks about ”accepted types of tests” there’s 20-30 different ones they’ll accept. It’s just media myth that you need the expensive PCR tests.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...ovid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada
DH and I went to Disney in June and we used the Walgreens Rapid ID Now tests to return to Canada, which are NAAT tests. No problems at all getting back into Canada.

We didn’t spend a cent on testing for our June trip. Did free antigen tests at Pearson as part of a study to get into the US and Walgreens didn’t charge us for their tests to return home.

For our August trip, we will be using the $40 Shoppers Drug Mart antigen tests (unless Pearson has cheaper testing options by that point) to get into the States and then the Walgreens tests again to return. Expected total costs of less than $100 Cdn, even if we end up needing an Uber to get to Walgreens. Can’t even get a whole night at a value resort for that, so compared to our other Disney costs, the testing costs are negligible.

Hey Bookbabe (if you are still around)...What Walgreens did you use? Also, did you have issues with ID? I keep reading to use Walgreens you have to have a State card, local drivers license, and local health insurance?

I just looked at a one day rental car from Disney (near MK, we have rented from there before, you can get a free shuttle from your resort) and it’s about $90 taxes in for one day. DH might do that instead of taking a cab, and also drive to the outlets maybe? Anyways, another option. (This is for a standard size vehicle)

Hi Bookbabe,

I PM'd you with a few questions ... hoping you can get back to me.

Great thread -- our family is booked to go back DW at the end of August.

Thank you.

@bookbabe626 I know on the walgreens website it mentions providing driver's licence, etc. They did not ask you for any of this information listed, correct? They just checked to see your appointment info?
I have been on many sites for places that offer testing and all seem to require a US address to book in advance. My trip is Aug 8 - 20 and would like to book our test for return to Canada in advance if possible. Anyone done this yet?

I have been on many sites for places that offer testing and all seem to require a US address to book in advance. My trip is Aug 8 - 20 and would like to book our test for return to Canada in advance if possible. Anyone done this yet?
I don't think you can book too far in advance at walgreens (which I am going to try first on our Aug 15-22 trip), nor does my back up (and pricier) alternative by Old Town: https://covidtestingllc.com/

Would like to know if you find one you can book in advance though.

The couple of people that already did test at Walgreens used their hotel address.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!