Possible travel late August

HappilyEverAfter80

DIS Veteran
Husband and myself have gotten our first Pfizer shot 28 days ago now. With Ontario opening the 2nd doses to all adults, I’m confident we will be fully vaccinated by August.
DS12 who would be travelling with us just got his first dose June 22nd and is currently booked for second August 18. Where we live they are booking kids 12-17 exactly 56 days out, but I believe they will move those up as well.
We have a trip booked at Christmas but now that some travel restrictions are relaxing for vaccinated Canadians coming back, I started to consider travelling before school starts. We all miss Disney world so much, especially DS who doesn’t even want to consider another destination right now. First Disney he says. I’m not planning anything definite but I wanted to see if I even have this right. I have been following the boards, especially the Canadian ones on the latest applicable to us but still not 100% sure.
Is the following accurate (as of July 6 date )
I do realize things may change by end of august, but let’s say they don’t)
- We fly to the USA from Canada - only entry requirement for the USA for us is the negative test 72 hrs before flying? They don’t check vaccinations?
- We test in the USA 72 hrs before flying back to Canada (our cost)
- We test upon arrival in Canada (Toronto) (no cost)
- As long as all of us are fully vaccinated on the DAY OF arriving back in Canada (as in 14 days after the 2nd dose) we don’t have to quarantine at all at home?
What if DS can’t move his second dose up a bit and we leave for the States 11 days after his second dose on the 29th?
- As long as we are 14 days after second dose upon arriving back in Canada is that ok? So he has his second dose Aug 18, we leave for the States on Aug 29th and come back Sep 4. Let’s say

I want to be clear that we’ll try to move up his dose so we can be full 2 weeks before we leave for the States, but just wondering how it actually works.
If anyone has any insight, advise or similar plans - please chime in :)

Last edited:
How long will you be in Disney? If you're there for a longish period of time, would you consider getting his second dose down there? It's free. And they give it to non residents without any question. CVS, Walgreens, any grocery store.

How long will you be in Disney? If you're there for a longish period of time, would you consider getting his second dose down there? It's free. And they give it to non residents without any question. CVS, Walgreens, any grocery store.
We’d be going for a week to 10 days likely but we should be able for DS to get second dose at least 10 days before leaving for Florida. I’m just concerned with do we have to be 14 days after second dose when leaving Canada or 14 days on the day we arrive back in Canada.

Last edited:
I guess the nuance is in the wording - whether or not fully vaccinated means 2 doses or 14 days after second dose. I haven't looked into it that deeply.

We’d be going for a week to 10 days likely but we should be able for DS to get second dose at least 10 days before leaving for Florida. I’m just concerned with do we have to be 14 days after first dose when leaving Canada or 14 days on the day we arrive back in Canada.

I think this is something that could depend on the border guard. I’m guessing they care about when you return, but you never know. They could decide your DS has to isolate.

Husband and myself have gotten our first Pfizer shot 28 days ago now. With Ontario opening the 2nd doses to all adults, I’m confident we will be fully vaccinated by August.
DS12 who would be travelling with us just got his first dose June 22nd and is currently booked for second August 18. Where we live they are booking kids 12-17 exactly 56 days out, but I believe they will move those up as well.
We have a trip booked at Christmas but now that some travel restrictions are relaxing for vaccinated Canadians coming back, I started to consider travelling before school starts. We all miss Disney world so much, especially DS who doesn’t even want to consider another destination right now. First Disney he says. I’m not planning anything definite but I wanted to see if I even have this right. I have been following the boards, especially the Canadian ones on the latest applicable to us but still not 100% sure.
- We fly to the USA from Canada - only entry requirement for the USA for us is the negative test 72 hrs before flying? They don’t check vaccinations?
- As long as all of us are fully vaccinated on the DAY OF arriving back in Canada (as in 14 days after the 2nd dose) we don’t have to quarantine at all at home?
What if DS can’t move his second dose up a bit and we leave for the States 11 days after his second dose on the 29th?
- As long as we are 14 days after second dose upon arriving back in Canada is that ok? So he has his second dose Aug 18, we leave for the States on Aug 29th and come back Sep 4. Let’s say

I want to be clear that we’ll try to move up his dose so we can be full 2 weeks before we leave for the States, but just wondering how it actually works.

We are here now (at WDW) and I can help with these questions :).

1.) Yes- the US requires a test within 72 hours regardless of vaccination status. However, they do accept antigen (rapid) tests, whereas Canada does not currently accept these. The pilot program at Pearson ends at the end of June, so since you are in Toronto, I would suggest taking advantage of the $40 kits from Shoppers.

2.) Yes- you would still test within 72 hours of your flight home. We are going to do ours at Walgreens as their Rapid “ID Now” test is NAAT which is accepted for returning to Canada. Furthermore, their test comes back within 24 hours and is FREE.

3.) As it stands now, yes, you will be tested on arrival back home and must self-isolate until the results come back. I think it should only be a day or two.

4.) The vaccination date only needs to be 14 days prior to returning to Canada. It doesn’t matter where you get it or how long ago you left the country. I would give it 15-16 days to be safe in case they don’t count the day of travel (return).

1.) Yes- the US requires a test within 72 hours regardless of vaccination status. However, they do accept antigen (rapid) tests, whereas Canada does not currently accept these. The pilot program at Pearson ends at the end of June, so since you are in Toronto, I would suggest taking advantage of the $40 kits from Shoppers.

2.) Yes- you would still test within 72 hours of your flight home. We are going to do ours at Walgreens as their Rapid “ID Now” test is NAAT which is accepted for returning to Canada. Furthermore, their test comes back within 24 hours and is FREE.

3.) As it stands now, yes, you will be tested on arrival back home and must self-isolate until the results come back. I think it should only be a day or two.

4.) The vaccination date only needs to be 14 days prior to returning to Canada. It doesn’t matter where you get it or how long ago you left the country. I would give it 15-16 days to be safe in case they don’t count the day of travel (return).
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your vacation to answer! Hope you are having a lovely time!
We are not in Toronto but it’s the closest airport to us if we have to fly out of Canada. We would prefer to drive down this time but land border opening hasn’t been announced yet.
The Walgreens test is no charge? Wow, please come back after your trip and let us know how things went :)
Enjoy your trip!

Thank you for this thorough information!!

Can I ask (and this goes to anyone else who is planning travel too!) what people are thinking as a back up plan if (God forbid) someone tests positive when you get tested in Florida before getting on the return flight to Canada?

That’s the biggest worry for me right now. At that point we can’t get on a plane to Canada so I assume we would rent a car and drive back to the border and then… can we drive a rental across the border? I think I recall hearing about services that will transport you across into Canada but not sure what they are or how expensive.

I’m planning to do some research but thought I’d start here. If anyone else is planning an August trip I’d love to hear what you’re thinking! 🙂

Can I ask (and this goes to anyone else who is planning travel too!) what people are thinking as a back up plan if (God forbid) someone tests positive when you get tested in Florida before getting on the return flight to Canada?

That’s the biggest worry for me right now. At that point we can’t get on a plane to Canada so I assume we would rent a car and drive back to the border and then… can we drive a rental across the border? I think I recall hearing about services that will transport you across into Canada but not sure what they are or how expensive.

I’m planning to do some research but thought I’d start here. If anyone else is planning an August trip I’d love to hear what you’re thinking! 🙂
Honestly it’s a risk we are going to take every time we travel in the near future or for as long as tests are required.
I think if we are fully vaccinated and test positive in FL we’d re-test to make sure it wasn’t a false positive.
Beyond that I’m not sure, I’ll be interested to hear what others say.

Such a good question. But I wonder....I don't think you can even drive across the border if you're positive. Am I thinking correctly?
Any thoughts on travel health insurance?

We’d be going for a week to 10 days likely but we should be able for DS to get second dose at least 10 days before leaving for Florida. I’m just concerned with do we have to be 14 days after first dose when leaving Canada or 14 days on the day we arrive back in Canada.

Your border crossing into Canada has to be after the 14 days from second dose. The US doesn’t care on your way in, and they will accept the cheaper antigen tests (doesn’t have to be PCR).

Car service from Buffalo airport to the GTA is $300.

If you get tested in FL with a test right at the 72 hr mark, that should give you time to do another test like the Walgreens Rapid ID Now test to confirm if it’s a false positive. That Walgreens test also gets you back across the border.

Thank you, we are also suffering from two years of cancelled trips. Have just got second shots, waiting for border restrictions to lift. Also planning Aug 29, 5 days at POP. DS is definitely missing WDW, no where else is the same.

Such a good question. But I wonder....I don't think you can even drive across the border if you're positive. Am I thinking correctly?
Any thoughts on travel health insurance?

I believe as a Canadian citizen/resident you can cross the land border, even if your test is +. You just can’t get on a plane because of (I assume) the potential to infect others on board. But maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong?

Edit to add: I found good coverage through Manulife for both Travel medical and trip interruption/cancellation. They specifically state that you are covered if you test + for Covid before or during your trip.

Last edited:
Car service from Buffalo airport to the GTA is $300.

If you get tested in FL with a test right at the 72 hr mark, that should give you time to do another test like the Walgreens Rapid ID Now test to confirm if it’s a false positive. That Walgreens test also gets you back across the border.

Thanks that is good to know!

If anyone has knowledge of car services for the land borders closer to Ottawa (Lansdowne, or Ogdensburg) please let me know - we are located closer to Ottawa and could arrange transport from GTA but would prefer one of the closer ones of course.

Your border crossing into Canada has to be after the 14 days from second dose. The US doesn’t care on your way in, and they will accept the cheaper antigen tests (doesn’t have to be PCR).
Thanks! I corrected my post you quoted , I said first dose there but meant second. In other words though, we could enter the States 11 days after my DS second dose in Canada, and come home a week later (so 18 days after the second dose at that point) and that is fine, no quarantine.

I believe as a Canadian citizen/resident you can cross the land border, even if your test is +. You just can’t get on a plane because of (I assume) the potential to infect others on board. But maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong?

Edit to add: I found good coverage through Manulife for both Travel medical and trip interruption/cancellation. They specifically state that you are covered if you test + for Covid before or during your trip.
This is interesting information. I thought we couldn't come back home if we were positive. Otherwise, what's the use of the test. If we're vaccinated we don't have to quarantine on return. But we could still catch it and spread it so I can see why they'd want to know so people would be forced to quarantine.
Do you happen to have a reliable source for that? If we could still cross the border by land even though positive, that would take some stress off trying to plan a trip.

We are in a very similar boat, aiming for later August and had kids booked for Aug 19, but just got an email tonight for rebooking earlier, so have you may be able to rebook now.

We are in a very similar boat, aiming for later August and had kids booked for Aug 19, but just got an email tonight for rebooking earlier, so have you may be able to rebook now.
I don’t think our health unit sends any emails and I haven’t heard kids being able to move appts up, but I hope so soon! Are you in one of the “hot spots”?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter