Portofino Bay & Tipping

waldiddy

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone, I need some advice. I don't usually stay in deluxe hotels, and we're staying in the Portofino Bay next week. What's the expected tips for bellboys, valet parking, room service, & concierge? For bellboys, I heard somewhere long ago, $1/bag but surely that's outdated now.

Room service really irks me at most places. They usually add a 20% delivery fee anyway and then are you supposed to tip on top of that?

Also my wife probably suspects that our beat-up minivan is too embarrassing for us to get it valet parked. Given how little extra it costs to valet vs self park, why not do valet? Would you be hesitant to valet park a jalopy? Personally, I'm not but I am curious what the consensus is out there.

Thanks in advance!

I mystery shop deluxe hotels and I am expected to tip bellman 1-2 dollars per bag. Valet is 2 00 on out only although many tip both ways. I have never tipped a concierge for anything and I don't give an extra tip for room service ..in fact most upscale hotels tell me when I am signing the bill that the tip is all ready included.

I will valet park anything. When I drive it's a Lincoln, a rental or when I am with my daughter it is a pretty old ford focus.

I stayed at portofino bay a couple of weeks ago and self park seemed a distance away. I valet parked.

Liz

If you plan on taking the car in and out a lot each day, I personally would not valet because the tips would add up.

I don't valet park unless it's mandatory, but my son works as a valet at one of the Gaylord properties. He would be happy to park your ancient van. It will remind him of his own car. Most valets work for contractors, not the hotels. I wouldn't worry about them judging you based on your car (not that I worry much about anybody judging me for any reason). As long as you tip appropriately for the service, he will be glad to serve you.

I've traveled for nearly 40 years and have never ordered room service. I just don't get the point unless you're stranded in a hotel with no restaurant and have no car to find one. I've carried in Taco Bell to eat in my room, but never understood all the room service trays I see sitting in the hallways. I just assumed most of those people were on an expense account that paid for room service.

I also roll in my own bag. The only bellhop I ever used and tipped was at the DVC at Wilderness Lodge. A week's groceries and luggage were more than we could carry and there is no convenient place to park and tote it yourself.

Sheila

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter