PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL Information

Ok thank you. Does anyone know if you can take a Rickshaw from PBH to HRH. We will be having dinner there one night and I'm not sure at the end of the day if my DM (75) could do the walk. I know I can boat it to Citywalk and transfer which I would do if that was the only option.

You sure can!

Just looked for APH rates and they are available up to now the day BEFORE we check in June 7th - still keeping our fingers crossed - we were all set for RPR but looking at the week before the Portofino is only $25 more than RPR per night (for a garden view room and not at the weekend) - seems like a really big discount (going for 5 nights).

The distance to the parks puts me off a little bit but would enjoy the quietness I think - HRH was too noisy for us last year.

What do you guys think - if the rates get extended at a similar price - should we go for it?

We're going on our first trip to US and just booked our room at PBH. I have a few questions (well, probably more than a few..)

How long does it take to get form the hotel to IOA for the early opening for HP? Which is the best way to go - boat, walk?

How are the restaurants? I think I've been to Bice in Palm Beach, if it is the same one, so I know that is great. What about the others? How does character dining work? Which characters are there? Trying to decide if that is worth it or we should just go to a regular restaurant.

I booked a garden view room, is there a special area I should request? Am I allowed to request an area?

I think that is it for now - this is a last minute trip so I only have about 5 days to plan everything!!

Just booked Portofino Bay Oct 27th -Nov 3 2012 looking forward to staying here ..we stayed at the hard rock and loved it but wanted to try something different this trip

We're going on our first trip to US and just booked our room at PBH. I have a few questions (well, probably more than a few..)

How long does it take to get form the hotel to IOA for the early opening for HP? Which is the best way to go - boat, walk?

How are the restaurants? I think I've been to Bice in Palm Beach, if it is the same one, so I know that is great. What about the others? How does character dining work? Which characters are there? Trying to decide if that is worth it or we should just go to a regular restaurant.

I booked a garden view room, is there a special area I should request? Am I allowed to request an area?

I think that is it for now - this is a last minute trip so I only have about 5 days to plan everything!!

Sal's Deli has great pizza. I highly recommend it. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to IOA if you use the shortcut outlined in this thread. You'll have to go back and look.

There's a ton of great info here....I suggest you browse through.

For character dining, you just show up and the characters come and go.

There is a food sticky with all menus on the main Universal board. It is worth a look.

I suggest you request a room in the West or Villa wing. They are closer to the boat and to walk.

Hi...I have decided to join our friends at US for 3 nights at the end of May. We are all staying at PBH, but they have booked into the club level and I got a great AP rate, so we are just in the gardenview room. Is it possible to make a request for our room to be close to theirs? Are there gardenview rooms near the club level rooms, or which "wing" would be best to request for being closer to our friends. First time staying onsite, so not familiar with this resort. Thanks so much for any help! :)

Sal's Deli has great pizza. I highly recommend it. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to IOA if you use the shortcut outlined in this thread. You'll have to go back and look.

There's a ton of great info here....I suggest you browse through.

For character dining, you just show up and the characters come and go.

There is a food sticky with all menus on the main Universal board. It is worth a look.

I suggest you request a room in the West or Villa wing. They are closer to the boat and to walk.

Do you happen to know on what page of this thread is the shortcut with pics to get from portofino to IOA..I'm searching but can not find anything

I really WISH those walking direction from PBH to citywalk through the HRH parking lot could get a sticky! I refer back to them all the time and I have such an issue finding them!

I really WISH those walking direction from PBH to citywalk through the HRH parking lot could get a sticky! I refer back to them all the time and I have such an issue finding them!

agreed. Later on today i am going to search through this thread and try and find it.

That is it!!! It is unbelieveably fast that way. Just watch out for cars and buses when you walk through the parking lot and onto the street since there isn't really a path.

pbh-walkingroute.jpg

Here is the map post 582

you could bookmark it.
save it to your 'favorites' and that way you won't lose it.

Looks like I was very drunk when I did that map!!!! That is how you walk from PBH after you've had more than a few at the Thirsty Fish!!!!!

Looks like I was very drunk when I did that map!!!! That is how you walk from PBH after you've had more than a few at the Thirsty Fish!!!!!

I can not really tell from the map is there a traffic light when you cross what seems to be a major intersection?

I can not really tell from the map is there a traffic light when you cross what seems to be a major intersection?

Yes there is. It isn't a really busy road though.

I have given you the link go to www.googlemaps.com right at the intersection where you'll have to cross. You can actually see the walk that way and you'll get a better understanding of what you are going to see. Click on the arrows and you can explore.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...8.479122,-81.463532&spn=0.00128,0.002642&z=19

If you walk down Celebrity Cir. on the map, that is walking right alongside the HRH parking lot.

I guess I'm really showing my age here but I just don't use the short cut. The regular path is not that much longer and it is such a beautiful walk. If we are tired or in a hurry we just use the boats or the rickshaw bikes. BTW, the walk at night is quite romantic.:love:

Are there hairdryers and refridgerators in the rooms?

I can't find that this has ever been answered in a search. I'm wondering about the fridge in the room?? Also, is there a laundry room yet? I see that as of the end of 2011 there was not, but maybe something has changed? Helps me pack lighter if I can do laundry mid-week. We are going to switch from HRH to PBH to try something new. Thanks.

I can't find that this has ever been answered in a search. I'm wondering about the fridge in the room?? Also, is there a laundry room yet? I see that as of the end of 2011 there was not, but maybe something has changed? Helps me pack lighter if I can do laundry mid-week. We are going to switch from HRH to PBH to try something new. Thanks.

No fridges at any of the hotels, no laundry at this hotel.

You can rent a fridge and you can use laundry at HRH. If you need a fridge for medicinal or baby purposes, they will comp you the fridge. Otherwise it is $25/night.

There is a small fridge that houses their honour bar but it is not really very cold and if you use it and move anything you may be charged for using items it there.

:rotfl:

It would be interesting to have the "official" path from PBH marked on that map as well, perhaps in a different color, to really see the difference. If I had photoshop I'd volunteer, but I don't. :goodvibes :cool2::flower3:

No fridges at any of the hotels, no laundry at this hotel.

You can rent a fridge and you can use laundry at HRH. If you need a fridge for medicinal or baby purposes, they will comp you the fridge. Otherwise it is $25/night.

There is a small fridge that houses their honour bar but it is not really very cold and if you use it and move anything you may be charged for using items it there.

Thanks. Was just thinking of a fridge for a few drinks and maybe some milk for cereal (we will have a car, so I was going to hit the grocery for a few things to save some $$). I might try a styrofoam cooler and keep it filled with ice. Will have to think about that one.

And it's sad that laundry really weighs into my choice of hotels, but laundry on vacation really is different than laundry at home :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter