PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL Information

Robinrs

DIS Veteran
<center>
2nd_level_portofino.jpg
</center>

BY POPULAR REQUEST!

This will be a thread dedicated to information for the UNIVERSAL PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL.

Add all of your information about rates, discounts, room types etc. here!

:D

I just booked PBH through Expedia for $132.50/night. Was just wandering what should I request, as far as location, to be close to (if possible) the boat, pool and restaurants? If only one is possible than I would like to be close to the boat. Thanks. I have never stayed here I am really looking forward to it - heard great things. Although, I still can't seem to drop my ressy at HRH for deluxe room just yet (just in case).

Kim :jester:

I'm on my way back to PBH in a week. Its the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in! I love it more than the GF at Disney, Have a great trip!:D

PBH booked for 5 nights April 3 - 7 at $230 for a deluxe, fan club rate. 5 night minimum to qualify.

My problem is I only can stay 4. Any thoughts on whether they'll allow me to pay the 5 at discounted rate vs. 4 nights at rack when I check out. Believe it or not, paying for 5 nights at $230 is still cheaper than 4 nights at $329!

What rates are people getting for between Christmas and New Years (not before)? I got a rate of $209 a night, but if better rates are out I want to know if I shoud start calling again. Anyone?

Aisling :

The PBH is in NO way stuffy, granted, it is beautiful & the first time, we were ovewhelmed by the grandeur , HOWEVER, it is a real nice place & if we didn't feel uncomfortable, then everyone else should be fine. The way you are treated makes you feel like royality.
This will be out 3rd trip back, we can't get enough.
I say go for it, I can't imagine you would regret it.
Haggy

We are going for two nights in early December and I have the Entertainment Rate for RPH for $99 ( plus still have to buy the Entertainment book). I can get a rate of $169 for a Bay View at PBH through Expedia. Since we are only ther for the two nights, I was thinking we should splurge and stay at PBH.... but not sure what to do :confused: Is PBH nicely decorated for the holidays? Also... at the Universal hotels is there somewhere to buy a container of milk for DD? Thanks!!

If a hotel is just a place for you to sleep while you enjoy the parks don't bother switching, I've heard and read great things about the other on property hotels, on the other hand, if the hotel is an very important part of the overall vacation experience for you then
you will not do better than the PBH. Whatever you choose I know you will have fun:D

KIM: Requst East Villas there a hop to the boat and the resturants don't skip Mama Della's it's wonderful and the kids will love it.

We have a deluxe room booked, and wondered if these room types are available overlooking the villa pool. Or is the bay view better (or is a bay view even an option)?

A balcony is also very important to me and I've heard a few deluxe rooms don't have balconies. The first part of our week will be at the HRH, and we've always stayed at moderates at WDW, and never had a balcony. I want to be able to sit out there at the end of the day and sip a drink! From the pictures I've seen, the balconies don't look very big. Are they big enough to sit out on, and are there chairs out there?

E.Jane,

"We have a deluxe room booked, and wondered if these room types are available overlooking the villa pool. Or is the bay view better (or is a bay view even an option)?

A balcony is also very important to me and I've heard a few deluxe rooms don't have balconies. The first part of our week will be at the HRH, and we've always stayed at moderates at WDW, and never had a balcony. I want to be able to sit out there at the end of the day and sip a drink! From the pictures I've seen, the balconies don't look very big. Are they big enough to sit out on, and are there chairs out there?"

You have a deluxe pool view booked (beautiful rooms) so I would like to make a suggestion. Prior to our first visit a balcony was very important to me also. I didnt realize that most rooms do not offer balconies no matter what the view. So we ended up in a bayview with a very small balcony no table. While we were there I looked at the deluxe pool view rooms (like you have booked) and decided next trip we would request this. I was thrilled with our room ground floor that offered french doors opening to a patio overlooking the villa pool. The patio was more spacious than the balcony, table and chairs.

I prefer the west wing to the east wing rooms. If you do decide to try for a patio we stayed in room #2258 (2 queen room)
Another room #2665 is a deluxe also with a balcony. (King room)
The other room was room #2461 (small balcony)

One other mention, if you are staying during a busy time dont be too upset if you get neither. If that happens have a nice relaxing drink at the main piazza and you can also stop by the Gelateria for authentic gelato to savor on the patio.

Hope you are able to get a room you desire! :)

I always laugh to myself when I see that people describe PBH as stuffy. It *IS* a luxuious resort. You *DO* see people in tee shirts & bathing suits. There *ARE* kids everywhere. It is by no means stuffy. I lug my cooler in, I have my kids, they do what kids do,even like they do at Disney's All stars. It has two family style restaurants, pizza place, ice-cream place, arcade, three pools and so on. It's a relaxed luxuious resort.
If you don't care about the amenities at club level, book PBH .t's a great rate! I love club level at RP but we use it, if I didn't use it then I would book PBH hands down. hopefully some day they will bring club or concierge back to PBH!

Where is a good location to request to be near the main pool? I have 2 DDs that will want to be running back and forth from the pool to the room. thanks..amy

Originally posted by corvair
Where is a good location to request to be near the main pool? I have 2 DDs that will want to be running back and forth from the pool to the room. thanks..amy

Just ask for the west wing near the beach pool.

Thanks Fan2Cskr - I will request #2258 - sounds perfect!

And to those trying to book rooms with discounts who are faced with "minimum nights" required. I booked 5 nights to get a fan club discount, but was unable to change my flights and can only stay for 4 nights. I called back to see if checking out after 4 nights, but paying the cheaper rate for 5 would be a problem. The woman on the phone was very helpful and changed my ressie to 4 nights at the discounted rate! I was totally shocked that they were willing to do this. I'm not sure WDW would ever give me such a break, so hats off to Universal and the PBH hotel!

I also got an explanation on how the discounts are released. Apparently they are all computer-generated. The computer goes back to last year's occupancy records, and if it was really busy then, they will hold off releasing discounts. I'm planning on arriving March 31st next year, which just happened to be easter week this year. Although she checked and said there are tons of vacancies for that week next year, the computer has not yet realized it's not easter week. Eventually (hopefully soon) they'll see that they have to release something to fill up the rooms that week. So to those of you getting worried about getting a discount, keep phoning - every day!!

CPM. thanks for the reply about west wing. Would I need to book a certain veiw to be in the west wing? Or certain kind of room? thanks. amy

Amy,

Double check with CPM I think she may have meant East Villa's Not WEST Villa's. East Villas are right above the Beach Pool facing North and Villa pool if your in a South Facing room. Our rooms 2663,2665,2677 are facing out over beach pool area. Now rooms 2674,2676 directly overlook Villa Pool. REcheck on that I don't want you to be stuck over in no mans land on the West side w/out the beach pool.

East Guest Wing rooms start with a 1

West Guest Wing rooms start with a 3

Villa Guest Wing rooms start with a 2

The second digit would be the floor #
The Third/Fourth digit is the room #

Hospitality Wing would be rooms numbered 2324-2529
Villa Guest Wing would be rooms numbered 2230-2693
West Guest Wing 3130-3567
East Guest Wing 1130-1598

My personal opinion when booking a gardenview or bayview room only is to request the WEST wing rooms. They are closest to the boat, pool and most everything else. East wing rooms are closest to the Hillside pool and that is way far from the boat dock.

I think that CPM was not speaking of the "villa" rooms but the west and east winged rooms in general. Villa rooms are a whole different location.

I just had another question about room location - are there certain rooms/wings where we'd have a better chance with getting a "parlour" upgrade? I like the sound of room 2258, but not at the cost of missing out on a possible upgrade.

I want it ALL - a deluxe room, with patio/balcony, preferably ground level overlooking the villa pool, with a parlour next door in case we luck out on an upgrade. I don't want too much, do I?! ;)

So, does anyone know if such a room exists?

Partyofsix, what is a villa room. Is there a room that would be called pool veiw? we will problably just go with a regular room with 2 doulble beds. I do want to be near the main pool. I did not book yet, I am getting ready to call and book for May using the entertainment rate, AAA. or fan club. I will try to get the best rate and room near the main pool. thanks for any help. I have never stayed on sight at Universal, this is all new to me. thanks..amy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter