Port Orleans - Shuttle schedule

grapefruitjellybean

Mouseketeer
Hi,
I'm booking a 6 night stay in mid May and I think Port Orleans Riverside is the best option for our family and most importantly, my wallet.
My question is about the transportation to and from the various parks. How often does the shuttle run, how much time should we plan to get to each of the parks (especially if we want to be there for rope drop or EMH), and how easy/difficult it is to bring a stroller. We will be bringing a double Uppa BabyVista.
Thanks!

Buses to/from all resorts run approximately every 20 minutes; at certain hours, such as park open and close, they run more frequently as needed. How long it takes to get to each park depends on traffic, but usually 10-20 minutes depending on the park.
All strollers must be folded in order to be allowed onboard the buses.
The only caveat with Port Orleans Riverside is that it has multiple bus stops, since the resort is so large, whereas Port Orleans French Quarter, since it's so much smaller, has just one bus stop. Each bus at Riverside circles all of the bus stops at the resort before heading to its destination.

There's not really a schedule for the buses, they run around every 20 minutes or so. They have signs at the bus stop that tell you when the next bus is expected and you can also find this info in MDE once you're actually staying at the resort. I usually leave about an hour before park opening time to allow myself enough time to wait for a bus, ride the bus, get through baggage check, and get in line for rope rope. Strollers are fine as long as you can fold it up easily.

All of the above. WE have stayed at POR several times and absolutely love it! In all our visits, we have never had a problem with the buses, even though there are 4 stops. One time, POR had 2 buses for MK before park opening up until about 11am every day. This helped eliminate the wait time for MK during that busier season. To explain, that means 2 buses at the same time for transport to the MK all during the AM up until about 11am when they were not needed. So, no problems that we encountered with anything while staying at POR.
Guests are encouraged to allow at least an hour for to and from their destination, no matter which resort you are staying at. We always do that and have no problem.

If you want to get to the park at 7 am - I would be at the bus stop at 6 am
Ditto for any estimated time at the park - go to the bus stop 1 hour before your arrival time

From the POR it is a 40 minute ride to MK, 30 minutes to DHS & EPCOT, and maybe 45 minutes to AK, - times are estimates from when then bus leaves the resort and is on it's way to the park. Bus times can vary based on weather, traffic, strollers, and EVC's.

From the POR it is a 40 minute ride to MK, 30 minutes to DHS & EPCOT, and maybe 45 minutes to AK, - times are estimates from when then bus leaves the resort and is on it's way to the park. Bus times can vary based on weather, traffic, strollers, and EVC's.
Sorry, but those drive times are totally wrong. From POFQ, for example, it’s only 10-12 minutes to MK by bus. POR is even a little closer to MK than POFQ is. I made it to DHS in 7 minutes by bus from POFQ as well.

Disney suggests you give yourself 90 min to get anywhere using Disney transportation.
It's their advice for a reason, it's good advice.
No, it will not always take that long but it's way better to get places early vs late. No better way to put a damper on your trip than to be rushing around places running late.
Head to a bus stop 90 min before you want to reach your destination and you'll rarely be rushing places.
When you find yourself someplace early, grab a seat and enjoy the sights and sounds of Disney. Take a breath.

Disney suggests you give yourself 90 min to get anywhere using Disney transportation.
It's their advice for a reason, it's good advice.
No, it will not always take that long but it's way better to get places early vs late. No better way to put a damper on your trip than to be rushing around places running late.
Head to a bus stop 90 min before you want to reach your destination and you'll rarely be rushing places.
When you find yourself someplace early, grab a seat and enjoy the sights and sounds of Disney. Take a breath.

Good advice - just consider the size of WDW overall as well as the parks themselves, the parking lots, the resorts and you will realize that Disney's general advice of 90 minutes is quite sound but we find some refinements get us where we need to go on time generally quite efficiently while accommodating potential unexpected surprises:

. At my resort: check the bus times on MDE at least two hours in advance to see what time they are actually arriving. Assume they will come approximately every 20 minutes after that. Leave room at least 10 minutes prior to the bus you want. These are real-time arrivals and they can change and be earlier. I'm also checking that frequently before I head out. Using this method, we rarely wait more than a couple of minutes at our resort bus stop.

. Going from my resort to a park: catch the bus an hour before I want to be there. From a different resort to a park, head down 1.25 hours in advance - you can't see that bus on your MDE. For an ADR at a park, add another 15 minutes to get through security and walk to the restaurant. Breakfast ADRs in a park may need extra time due to crowds.

. Going from my resort to another resort: be at the bus stop 90-120 minutes prior because of secondary transportation needs (i.e., BC to GF requires a stop/transfer at MK).

. Park to park or park to any resort: be AT the bus stop 1-1.5 hours before. There's no way of knowing when that bus will come or if you've just missed one. Add at least 15 minutes of time to get TO the bus stop from where you are in the park and additional time once there if necessary to get somewhere (especially in park).

I typically set an alarm on my phone for things that are booked like ADRs and tours with an appropriate lead time. If I get to a restaurant early, I'll check in and see if we can be seated which occasionally has happened. If not, maybe we'll sit in a lounge and have a drink or go browse in a shop close by or just sit and people watch and chat to each other.

Once I've set these alarms, we basically just wing the rest of the trip. It allows us to have freedom to do as we feel in between some structure and with no stress.

Does anyone know the order of the bus stops within POR?

Bus stops are West, North, East, Main Building. Buses head to the parks from the main building.

At times, the buses for POR share with POFQ. Typically, when that happens, they will stop at FQ first, then make the loop at POR and then head to the park.

Steve

Been a long time since staying at French Quarter, but I did prefer it to Riverside. It was a nice perk that FQ was the first stop for buses to the parks so getting a seat was a not a problem.

At times, the buses for POR share with POFQ. Typically, when that happens, they will stop at FQ first, then make the loop at POR and then head to the park.
I never experienced the two sharing buses when I stayed at French Quarter in September, except coming back from Hollywood Studios one day, when it stopped at French Quarter first and then went over to Riverside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter