Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! We're staying at POR in late June and are planning to eat at Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney. How frequent is the boat service from POR to Downtown Disney? What would be the best route from Downtown Disney to the Magic Kingdom using only Disney transportation?

Boats run every 20 minutes, switching to 10 minutes after 4pm. At busy times expect to probably not get on the first boat that comes along.

Getting to the parks from DTD is not very easy as there are no direct buses. I assume this was done to prevent people using DTD as an easier parking option for visits to the parks - although with the current construction at DTD I suspect it would more likely happen the other way around now!

You would need to go to a resort and then change to get to the park. For MK, get a bus to the Contemporary and walk from there direct to the park. Similarly for Epcot, get a bus to the Beach Club and walk via the International Gateway. Studios is a longer walk, but you could still go to the Swan/Dolphin and walk, but it might be quicker to just take a second bus. For AK I'd have thought changing at AK Lodge makes the most sense, but if another bus arrives sooner for somewhere along the general route (e.g. Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs, or one of the Values) then you might want to jump on that.

Can anyone give me an idea of how the buses run at POR? I love the way the buses run at Coronado Springs Resort and wondered if they work in a similar fashion. :drive:
Is there a routine bus route at POR? Do they stop at POR first or POFQ? Do they go to a certain number bus stop first and or is it always the main building first and then so on, or is it totally random?

It's not totally random, but it's not exactly predictable either, and it varies somewhat by park destination. Rather than repeating myself again, most of my understanding of the system (for what that's worth) can be found at www.portorleans.org/buses.php.

Andre

Here now....in Acadian House, in the way back by the parking lot. The resort is as lovely as always. I was disappointed that I wasn't notified when my room was ready tho. But, that's happened at other resorts as well. Checked in at 8:15, dropped our bags will Bell Services, and headed to DHS. Got back around 3:30 to find that our room had been ready for quite awhile. No biggie. Son and his wife drove over from Tampa and we took the boat to DTD for dinner, then back again. As usual, very nice way to get around. Did forget about not sitting on that back row tho....behind is a little sore today! A lot of engine vibration back there.
Food court was fine this morning....very pleasant CMs. The morning walk for coffee and pastries was really nice....quiet and peaceful.
Just love being back here!

This is my first time posting to this board. My husband and I signed up for the Dopey in 2015. We have only been to DW one other time -last Christmas we stayed at CBR. We are booked to stay at POR 1/6-1/16 in a Royal Room standard view. I want to change it to a garden view and add a couple days -hoping I still can since I know it books up quick. We are crazy excited and I've been reading everything on here I can to prepare.

I do have one question. I have noticed the more common complaint is about the buses and transportation. Has anyone stayed there for a marathon or if anyone knows how that transportation differs from the regular. I know they start the bus services at 3am and we plan on being there at that time. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. We are pretty chill people but I want to make sure we make it to the races.

I love this board and Andre -your site is fantastic :)

Checked out today from a weekend at POR! We loved the RR's and the fireworks above the bed were perfect! My friend's DD's loved pressing the buttons all day every day! Housekeeping was good, they left extra towels and shampoo/conditioner as requested.

When I checked in my fridge did not latch so they brought a new one and without checking later in the night, I went to get my breakfast out yesterday and everything was warm :( It was plugged in but not working either. I did let them know at the front desk and they credited my account $25 which was appreciated! The food court was 3x busier starting on Saturday and Today as opposed to Friday. It took my friends almost 45 mins at 7pm tonight to get pizza and pasta (no groups were there, just lots of families like us).

We said we loved RR's and the location of PP but we did say we'd never stay for an extended period of time bc of the buses. It seemed like a lot of guests used the main building bus stop to get off and on. The line to MK this morning at 7:45am was almost to the lobby and was past the 2nd station when we got off at 6pm. CMs were there tracking and we saw so many buses waiting to be dispatched in the parking lot but none seemed to come. We waited about 30 mins this morning and my friends waited about 45 mins from MK Friday night. When we left MK today the bus was nearly full and we begged to get on as we knew it probably had been a while since a bus had come…thankfully we were let on! We stay at WDW about every other month and have had better buses at POP, AoA, POFQ, and CSR…not sure what's going on at POR though.

Other than that, we had a great stay and would love to go back to the RR's again!

Just got back. Enjoyed POR very much. Stayed in Mansion buildings gorgeous!

9d25b4bba0c52f19ad5e1099470aa422_zps632a7248.jpg

Totally recommend. Friendly staff, pretty resort, great food court. No negatives. Didn't use transport though had car.

We only have 223 days to go but who's counting. Ha Ha. I love to come here to get my Disney and POR fix. I love reading about everyone experiences at the resort. Hope everyone enjoys their visits. ::MinnieMo

We only have 223 days to go but who's counting. Ha Ha. I love to come here to get my Disney and POR fix. I love reading about everyone experiences at the resort. Hope everyone enjoys their visits. ::MinnieMo

I'm at 211 and on this and Disney sites every day. I think I have a problem. My poor husband suffers so much. But I just can't not be crazy happy I get to go back. Seriously thought last Christmas was a once in a lifetime trip. But it wasn't :hyper:

So how many of you go back to the resort in the afternoons? We loved our afternoon swim breaks at the Poly, but it was so fast and easy to get back. Any estimates on time spent on the bus coming back to the resort during the day and then going back to a park in the evening? Is it worth it to do so?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

So how many of you go back to the resort in the afternoons? We loved our afternoon swim breaks at the Poly, but it was so fast and easy to get back. Any estimates on time spent on the bus coming back to the resort during the day and then going back to a park in the evening? Is it worth it to do so?

We've always found it worthwhile.

MK ~ 15 minutes
HS and Epcot ~ 10-12 minutes
AK ~ 18-19 minutes

We've always found it worthwhile.

MK ~ 15 minutes
HS and Epcot ~ 10-12 minutes
AK ~ 18-19 minutes

Quoting both of these, We did it more when we visited for longer amounts of days say like a 8 or 9 day stay versus only a 7 or less. Now since we live here it has gotten even more frequent because we really don't have to worry about leaving WDW behind when we leave. I'll turn around and see it the next day of work.

I'm at 211 and on this and Disney sites every day. I think I have a problem. My poor husband suffers so much. But I just can't not be crazy happy I get to go back. Seriously thought last Christmas was a once in a lifetime trip. But it wasn't :hyper:

I know how you feel. Everyone thinks I'm crazy because I have to have a Disney fix daily. I find myself texting family and friends while they are visiting..."what are you doing now?" repeat, repeat, repeat. ha ha Maybe we should start a support group. :mickeyjum

We find it necessary to do so with small children. I don't think DH and I will do it on our December no-kids trip.

For our February stay at POR, we found that it took an hour one way to go from any park to the room. That includes walking to the busses, waiting on a bus, travel time, and walking to the room. So, we would budget for 2 hours of travel time plus two hours of down time in the room.

We find it necessary to do so with small children. I don't think DH and I will do it on our December no-kids trip.

For our February stay at POR, we found that it took an hour one way to go from any park to the room. That includes walking to the busses, waiting on a bus, travel time, and walking to the room. So, we would budget for 2 hours of travel time plus two hours of down time in the room.

I agree. With the frequency of the bus and travel time to the room, it was never worth it to us to go back for a nap/break. We would just find a quiet place in the park and let them sleep in the stroller.

I agree. With the frequency of the bus and travel time to the room, it was never worth it to us to go back for a nap/break. We would just find a quiet place in the park and let them sleep in the stroller.

DD would be fine napping in the stroller. DS(7) could use some downtime if we're doing late nights at all...

DD would be fine napping in the stroller. DS(7) could use some downtime if we're doing late nights at all...

For the kids, musicals/shows = downtime
For the DH, musical/shows = naptime

Good Morning everyone!

I apologize if this question has been asked to death, but does anyone know when the July recreation calendar comes out? I looked on the POR website, and they only have June listed.

Thanks!!!

Good Morning everyone! I apologize if this question has been asked to death, but does anyone know when the July recreation calendar comes out? I looked on the POR website, and they only have June listed. Thanks!!!
m

In July ;) maybe a couple days before depending on when Andre gets it. :thumbsup2

DS (6, as of yesterday) and I will be staying at POR in December. I'm a little worried about the buses, but love the look of the resort and the Royal Rooms! We can't wait. :dance3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter