Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Two [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think it would be ok to check in online and still send a fax with request? I'm really hoping for some major pixie dust and will try and see if the can upgrade us to RR. I would do my online check in with what's on my Reservation right now and ask for the possible upgrade on the fax. Would that work?
Should I just skip online check in all together.

I hope you don't mean you're going to ask for a free upgrade. If you want to upgrade to RR, you should expect to pay for it.

Is the POR using the magic bands at all? Or probably more accurately, when will they be implementing these?

None of the resorts are using the magic bands and it's unknown when they will be implemented. Some testing is going to be done in a week, but it's only for select people checking in between June 20 and 22 and staying at the Contemporary and AKL.

Do you think it would be ok to check in online and still send a fax with request? I'm really hoping for some major pixie dust and will try and see if the can upgrade us to RR.

Yes, do your online checkin FIRST though, see all the info in the first FAQ post for details.

If you're looking for a "pixie-dust" upgrade you'd be more likely to get one if don't ask for one. Sure, tell them why you're looking forward to a magical stay with your Disney-obsessed princesses, explain their favourite films/characters - but don't push for freebies, it's harder to make magic for someone coming over as "I want"...

Otherwise, you could always say something along the lines that you were unable to book a Royal Room at the time (if your agent did not have anything for your dates for example) and say that if there happen to be any late cancellations then you'd love to pay for an upgrade if one becomes available.

[Edit: just noticed that you previously downgraded from a RR to a Garden View to fit five in the room - has that changed again, as they won't put you in a RR with more than four people plus an infant?]

Andre

Do you think it would be ok to check in online and still send a fax with request? I'm really hoping for some major pixie dust and will try and see if the can upgrade us to RR. I would do my online check in with what's on my Reservation right now and ask for the possible upgrade on the fax. Would that work?
Should I just skip online check in all together.

The RR don't have a Murphy bed and only hold a max of 4 plus one under 3. Since you have 5 plus one under three, I don't know that they would upgrade you to a RR.

I know the RR only hold 4 people. A girl can dream though :) That's why I said major pixie dust. You never know what they might come up with. We'll be happy by just being in Disney. I did do Online Check In last night and will be faxing in a few days before arrival.
Thanks again for the input guys.

Bicfam said:
Is the POR using the magic bands at all? Or probably more accurately, when will they be implementing these?

There has been no definitive answer regarding POR; they are being rolled out at a few resorts. There is plenty of info on the theme parks board.

zabache said:
I know the RR only hold 4 people. A girl can dream though :) That's why I said major pixie dust. You never know what they might come up with. We'll be happy by just being in Disney. I did do Online Check In last night and will be faxing in a few days before arrival.
Thanks again for the input guys.

Quite frankly, it is best not to expect anything or you will be terribly disappointed and it will set the entire tone for the trip.

Disney was very savvy in turning requests into booking categories a s well as making some of the more remotely located rooms into themed rooms. And quite frankly, people are paying for them.

Upgrades are done at the convenience of the resort and it is nothing you have control over.

we tipped $5 a day they were great. towel animals every day extra shampoo my 4 year old slept in the fold down bed and wanted another blaket so we gave her one off the other beds mousekeeping saw this and left us another blanket. maybe we were just luckey

I just wanted to chime in here since we just returned last night from a 5 night stay at POR. Although I know tipping discussions aren't popular, I wanted to share that we also tipped $5 per day for the two of us (in adorably cutely decorated envelopes I might add,) and our service wasn't that great. Not that I tip well bc I think it means I will get better service, but I'm talking basic things. Tissues not refilled, nightstand was turned completely sideways like they were in a hurry, beds weren't fully made, washcloths weren't replenished, basic things. However, soap/coffee/shampoo were refilled, so it was very random and inconsistent.

Quite frankly, it is best not to expect anything or you will be terribly disappointed and it will set the entire tone for the trip.

Disney was very savvy in turning requests into booking categories a s well as making some of the more remotely located rooms into themed rooms. And quite frankly, people are paying for them.

Upgrades are done at the convenience of the resort and it is nothing you have control over.

Totally understand. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with hoping. I'll be happy wherever I'm at.

I just wanted to chime in here since we just returned last night from a 5 night stay at POR. Although I know tipping discussions aren't popular, I wanted to share that we also tipped $5 per day for the two of us (in adorably cutely decorated envelopes I might add,) and our service wasn't that great. Not that I tip well bc I think it means I will get better service, but I'm talking basic things. Tissues not refilled, nightstand was turned completely sideways like they were in a hurry, beds weren't fully made, washcloths weren't replenished, basic things. However, soap/coffee/shampoo were refilled, so it was very random and inconsistent.

We tipped $5 a day as well, had great service, no towel animals other than a Mickey face on arrival day, but otherwise very clean, towels replaced, soaps done, etc.

Think it all depends on who you get really...

For all of you mentioning problems with mousekeeping:

I hope you tell the front desk. As soon as possible. Not to get someone in trouble; it may just be a training issue. They can help the person learn to better do their job. Feedback is important for this reason. Mention what they did well and how happy you are, but mention what could have been better or what was missed.

We tipped $5 a day as well, had great service, no towel animals other than a Mickey face on arrival day, but otherwise very clean, towels replaced, soaps done, etc.

Think it all depends on who you get really...

I agree that it all depends on who you get. We've always tipped the same from year to year and have found that it doesn't make one bit of difference. We've had some phenomenal housekeepers at POR and quite frankly, some horrible ones. One that we had probably five years ago was so great that we remembered her the following year and although she wasn't working in our building, we ran into her and told her what a great job she had done the year before and how much we appreciated her. Her name was Virginia. I wonder if she is still there? Would love to have her again!

Can I call and change or cancel a request? I made the reservation some time ago for September and asked 1st for AB, and 2nd for a particular building in the woods. I would like to cancel the building and possible look at something closer to parking/bus/building because my wife is having foot problems.

For all of you mentioning problems with mousekeeping: I hope you tell the front desk. As soon as possible. Not to get someone in trouble; it may just be a training issue. They can help the person learn to better do their job. Feedback is important for this reason. Mention what they did well and how happy you are, but mention what could have been better or what was missed.

Excellent advice. As much as you pay for a room at Disney, there is nothing wrong with politely relaying your concerns because if they don't know, exactly nothing will happen.

I know the RR only hold 4 people. A girl can dream though :) That's why I said major pixie dust.

They can't really pixie dust you into a room without enough beds for everyone.

Can I call and change or cancel a request?

Absolutely, just call the reservations center again and ask them to modify your request. No one at the resort will even look at your details until a few days before you arrive anyway.

Andre

Ok usually a lurker but a few questions. We are staying December 6-13 booked standard room. Hoping for AB as have two year old and thirteen year old and two year old isnt too good in pack and play so hoping for his own bed.
Does anyone know what moderate was chosen for Pop Warner this year?

There has been no definitive answer regarding POR; they are being rolled out at a few resorts. There is plenty of info on the theme parks board.

Are these wristband going to be for all guests when they come out and replace the KTTW cards, or only for those who pay extra? I have been trying to search for more info, but having difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter