Pop or SOG... I just don't know!

Family Fun Mom

<font color=green>No longer tagless... my wit has
I am having such a hard time deciding where to stay next year when we go to WDW. We are a family of five so our options are somewhat limited. Deluxe is not an option because of $$$ and POR, although beautiful and we loved it last time, is really too small for us now. Two double beds and a trundle worked when the kids were smaller, but it just won't work now. We need more space than that. I suppose we could stay off-site, but I really don't want to. I love being on Disney property.

My husband is military, so Shades of Green is an enticing option for us, or we could get two rooms at a value (Pop is the hands down front runner as far as values go). The kids would love the big icons and fun vibe from Pop, and I love the little extra magic you get from being in a true Disney resort. But dh would love the more relaxing atmophere of SOG and the fact that we'd only need one room so it'd be less money (not to mention that it looks so beautiful!). Both have so many pros and both have so few cons, I can't decide!

I'd love some help. What say you, Dis-ers? Pop or SOG?

It seems like a no-brainer to me. SOG gives you a much nicer resort with bigger rooms for less money than you would pay at Pop. Yes Pop has the big tacky icons, but they aren't worth paying more money. Save your money by staying at the nice hotel and spend it on souveinirs or something.

It seems like a no-brainer to me. SOG gives you a much nicer resort with bigger rooms for less money than you would pay at Pop. Yes Pop has the big tacky icons, but they aren't worth paying more money. Save your money by staying at the nice hotel and spend it on souveinirs or something.

I'll second that. While I have not stayed at POP (my Dad has and said he'll never go back), I have stayed at the ASRs and you couldn't give me a free room there. As ex-military and an ex-employee of SoG, I would recommend this hotel over any Disney value any day of the week. Yes, you'll miss out a little on that "Disney" thing (In the two dozen or so times I stayed at SoG, I never once felt it came close to that "Disney feeling" that a Disney operated resort does), but you're comparing a deluxe to a value and there is NO comparison. Just my opinion..... :)

I actually enjoyed my room at Pop more than at SOG a year and a half ago (for the more comfortable bed, thicker towels, etc.) BUT I'd still choose SOG if I was in your place. The rooms are HUGE, I believe you get a mini-fridge, the grounds are lovely - I enjoyed walking around and to the TTC from there. Meals are reasonably priced. For a family, I'd choose SOG - I expect the pricing will be better for you too.

While we have enjoyed both resorts I beleive I would choose SOG. Beautiful resort and you can't beat the price for what you get. Wish we could still stay.......

We stayed at SOG a couple of years ago and thought it was a very nice hotel- spacious, clean, etc. However my daughters really weren't happy because they missed the Disney theming - no Mickey soap, no Disney info. stations on the tv, really no Disney anything at the hotel. We had previously stayed at Disney resorts and since then we have gone back to them - most recently we've been at POR - same thing, we're a family of 5 and our upcoming trip there this month will probably be our last to POR because we too will have outgrown it. Our girls (9 & 15) have said they would rather do two value rooms or the Music family suites than go back to SOG - not because SOG wasn't nice but rather because they want to feel like they are at Disney 24 hrs. a day. So I would go with which ever one is most important to your family either way you will have a great time:)

only yesterday and stayed at POP. Never again. While I understand that this resort makes Disney affordable for families that would otherwise not be able to go, If you can afford even just a little more, it makes a TON of difference. I was miserable at POP. I found it motel 6ish. Someone once posted that while it is a value resort, it is still Disney so it is still nice. I didn't find much nice about it. I found it dirty, not well maintained, not as Disney friendly and it didn't really feel Disneyish to me....the rooms were SO generic and even though I PAID for PREFERRED, I ended up with a parking lot view and a smoking room (when I was VERY specific that my DH is allergic to cigarrette smoke...we ended up finally moving at MIDNIGHT!!! because it took so long to get a manager on the phone. And no, the resort was not full!!!)

Sorry to ramble, stay at SOG.

We have stayed at both resorts and I would pick SOG everytime over POP. The rooms at SOG are huge compared to those at POP. We made the mistake (never again) of staying at POP during President's week. It was a madhouse there. The bus system worked well for us at SOG and you can also walk to the Poly and take the monorail. The lack of Disney themeing did not bother us at SOG. We did not spend enough time in the room to really care about that.

Definitely Shades of Green! The rooms are larger, and it's so much nicer!

While the rooms are definitely nicer and bigger at SOG, just a couple of things to consider.

At SOG there is no Magical Express.

At SOG there is no charging things to your room all over property.

SOG has inside hallways.

Those three things make SOG a nogo for us.

Depending on what time of year you are going and your rank, two rooms at POP is only a few $ more than one room at SOG. If you are driving, SOG charges for parking, if you are not driving you will need Mears or a towncar. You can still go over to SOG and get your tickets.

The charging with the room key is very important to us because I much prefer to leave my CC# only one place then put it away. If the room key gets lost or stolen, it can be replaced immediately. If my CC gets lost or stolen, it is a minimum of 24 hours to get a replacement.

and even though I PAID for PREFERRED, I ended up with a parking lot view and
But for the last year (and two-point-five) weeks, "Preferred" at Pop has included part of 50s Building # 1 - which, yes, provides a parking lot 'view' if one is inclined to stand looking out the window and across the public walkway...

But anyway, to answer the OP :)
I have stayed at both - Pop on my own, and sharing a room with an SoG-eligible Guest. I love Pop Century, but I'd choose Shades of Green in a second if I could. Indoor hallways/room access, balcony, room size,,,

We love staying at SOG.:goodvibes The price is great and the location is great. Everyday we end up at the Magic Kingdom so we never think of staying any where else because the hotel is so close to it. We are at the parks all day so DD doesn't care where we stay. She is to wiped out at the end of the day and ready to get going in the morning.:yay:

While the rooms are definitely nicer and bigger at SOG, just a couple of things to consider.

At SOG there is no Magical Express.

At SOG there is no charging things to your room all over property.

SOG has inside hallways.

Those three things make SOG a nogo for us.

Depending on what time of year you are going and your rank, two rooms at POP is only a few $ more than one room at SOG. If you are driving, SOG charges for parking, if you are not driving you will need Mears or a towncar. You can still go over to SOG and get your tickets.

The charging with the room key is very important to us because I much prefer to leave my CC# only one place then put it away. If the room key gets lost or stolen, it can be replaced immediately. If my CC gets lost or stolen, it is a minimum of 24 hours to get a replacement.

Wanted to add one more thing to the above - Remember NO Disney Dining Plan with SOG either which is a deal maker/breaker for our family. My advice is to decide what's most important to your family and enjoy which ever one is best for your bunch!:goodvibes

I am having such a hard time deciding where to stay next year when we go to WDW. We are a family of five so our options are somewhat limited. Deluxe is not an option because of $$$ and POR, although beautiful and we loved it last time, is really too small for us now. Two double beds and a trundle worked when the kids were smaller, but it just won't work now. We need more space than that. I suppose we could stay off-site, but I really don't want to. I love being on Disney property.

My husband is military, so Shades of Green is an enticing option for us, or we could get two rooms at a value (Pop is the hands down front runner as far as values go). The kids would love the big icons and fun vibe from Pop, and I love the little extra magic you get from being in a true Disney resort. But dh would love the more relaxing atmophere of SOG and the fact that we'd only need one room so it'd be less money (not to mention that it looks so beautiful!). Both have so many pros and both have so few cons, I can't decide!

I'd love some help. What say you, Dis-ers? Pop or SOG?

Shades of Green, no doubt about it!

Are you flying or driving? Shades of Green doesn't participate with Disney's Magical Express. We did not consider that an issue at all, for our family.. we always have a car (we rent a car if we fly) no matter where we stay. But it's something people considering staying at SoG need to be aware of.

Have a great time!

I'VE STAYED AT BOTH PLACES, AND MOST DEFINATELY SOG. IT'S A DELUXE FEELING AND A BEAUTIFUL RESORT.
POP HAS A GREAT FOOD COURT AND POOLS, BUT I LIKE THE NEWLY REMODLED SOG, AND YOU CAN WALK TO THE POLY AND USE THEIR FOOD COURT AND THEN HOP ON THE MONORAIL OR BUS. PLUS THE ROOMS AND BATHROOM AT SOG ARE BEAUTIFUL AND RELAXING. CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK AGAIN.

HOPE THIS ONE HELPS. :thumbsup2

I chose not to stay at SOG for three reasons - DDP, Magical Express, and the Disney atmosphere. For every other reason I say stay at SOG. The hotel and room quality are going to be much higher for SOG and for a lower price. SO if you aren't concerned with the three reasons I stated then go to SOG. It's an incredible value.

There was a big Mickey in the lobby, painted in a patriotic mural, in December. And a Mickey shaped pool. I thought the atmosphere was very Wilderness-Lodge-esque. No, it's not all over Disney, but it's still a gorgeous hotel. I would always, ALWAYS pick it over a value resort. (However, we're not interested in the DDP or ME.) Honestly, one big reason for me is the queen beds - you can't pay me to sleep in a double with DH. :rotfl:

Just so you know, the rooms in the old section are a good bit smaller than the rooms in the new section. Still pretty large in comparasion to other resorts, but not as big as the new section. We had a TON of room in ours for the crib and everything a toddler travels with.

A lot of people complained about the walking, but our room was pretty much as far from the lobby/garage as you can get and it still wasn't bad. I walked every morning to the lobby for my coffee with no issues.

Which leads me to my next point: STARBUCKS. No yucky Nescafe for us! ;) And the PX/BX had resort stuff for a lot cheaper than you can get at other resorts.

I vote for 2 rooms at POP. For all the reasons above. We stayed at SOG once and IMHO I didn't feel like I was at Disney. I felt like I was staying offsite. It was a lovely room, with a beautiful view of the golf course but it could have been a golf course anywhere. I love POP! and I love those big icons!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

I just had to weigh in because of the earlier poster who hated Pop. We just got back and we loved it. We would choose it over any other value OR moderate. However, SOG has other attractions for you, so I agree to look at what is important and choose what works for YOUR family! Have a wonderful time! :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter