POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #9~November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
lovethattink said:
I'm pretty sure it was the same pool rules when we stayed at pop for sww in may and June too. Not sure if it was that way when we stayed in Feb. I think the rules changed shortly after the fatal drowning incident.

The pool fatality happened in March of 2013, WELL over a year ago. I believe it was March 10th. I arrived on the 17th and a good CM friend of mine who was working at the resort when it happened told me, that 'supposedly' he didn't really drown but snapped his neck when he dove in head first. There was talk about there not being water in his lungs and supposedly he was gone the second he hit the bottom. They did not change the rules right away even through the summer of 2013. They were still allowing guests to swim at your own risk even after the life guards left. There were times that even during the day there might not be a guard at the quiet pool (bowling pin one....That is the one I would sit by). I bet until they gate them, they will allow guests to swim quietly in the quiet pools after hours. I have seen it tons and no one says/does anything as long as the guests are behaving and quiet. :)

I definitely did not get streamlined check in (either email or confirmation page). I think mine might have something to do with the package we booked. We get free memory maker at check in. I called before to ask if I would be able to link my memory maker ahead of time (like if I purchased the discounted MM ahead of time) and they told me I would get it linked the day I arrive. Hmmm just a thought.

This will also depend where you live. If you live outside the States, ie Canada, then you will not be able to be streamlined due to having to pick up Magic Bands.

The pool fatality happened in March of 2013, WELL over a year ago. I believe it was March 10th. I arrived on the 17th and a good CM friend of mine who was working at the resort when it happened told me, that 'supposedly' he didn't really drown but snapped his neck when he dove in head first. There was talk about there not being water in his lungs and supposedly he was gone the second he hit the bottom. They did not change the rules right away even through the summer of 2013. They were still allowing guests to swim at your own risk even after the life guards left. There were times that even during the day there might not be a guard at the quiet pool (bowling pin one....That is the one I would sit by). I bet until they gate them, they will allow guests to swim quietly in the quiet pools after hours. I have seen it tons and no one says/does anything as long as the guests are behaving and quiet. :)

I agree with this. When we were there in November people were still swimming at 11pm, mind you not to many as it wasn't really warm enough but they were definitely swimming.

:confused3 Don't know why. Apparently I'm streamlined. Does that mean I cannot check in regularly? I want to make sure I get my requests:)

:confused3 Don't know why. Apparently I'm streamlined. Does that mean I cannot check in regularly? I want to make sure I get my requests:)

Just head right over the regular checkin line and ask all the questions you want. :thumbsup2

This is my 8th time to POP. I don't have any questions or really care which building I get ( been to all) . I just want a room as soon as ready. Streamlined will work great for me.

POP is such a cute and fun resort. I miss walking around at night. Everything looks so pretty at night lit up. I am hoping to take dd over at night and see AOA in the dark this trip. We only have 2 days so it's hard to squeeze it all in.:goodvibes

I will add for people that are new to POP, if you ask for an upper floor like we always did, be prepared to use a lot of stairs. The elevators were always behind me compared to the direction we wanted to go in. 4th floors are quiet but 2/3 have a view with less stairs. 1st is good with strollers but more walking traffic.

Only 11 days :cool1:

Joining this thread because my DH and I will be late honeymooning at POP in January! I stayed there over a year ago at the beginning of my 21st birthday trip, and I'm exciting to stay there again! We're doing a preferred room and I can't be more excited! :cool1:

So does it appear that everyone who lives within the US is now being offered streamlined check-in at Pop, or is this another test? Hoping to use this service when we arrive at 2am in early November.

Also wondering if we'll get the text/email with our room number earlier in the evening (perhaps after the official check-in time) or will we receive it after midnight?

So does it appear that everyone who lives within the US is now being offered streamlined check-in at Pop, or is this another test? Hoping to use this service when we arrive at 2am in early November. Also wondering if we'll get the text/email with our room number earlier in the evening (perhaps after the official check-in time) or will we receive it after midnight?
I live in the US and I didn't get streamlined check in.

Edit: I was wrong, I do have streamlined check in.

So does it appear that everyone who lives within the US is now being offered streamlined check-in at Pop, or is this another test? Hoping to use this service when we arrive at 2am in early November.

Also wondering if we'll get the text/email with our room number earlier in the evening (perhaps after the official check-in time) or will we receive it after midnight?

From what I have read, it appears that they send you a text message around the time you show you will be arriving when you do your on line check in. You should get one of 2 text messages prior to your check in: either one with your room number welcoming you to POP or one that says your room is not ready and we will text you with your room number as soon as your room is ready.
I would recommend when you check in on line,
Mark a time much earlier that 2am. Personally I would probably check 3pm since that is the normal check in time and your room number should be available for the text or the Not sure option (that defaults to 11am). Checking that one would at least get you a text saying your room is not ready and then another one once it is.
You may also want o check the box that says
"Arriving early? Check here if having your room ready for early arrival is a higher priority than any of the requests you have selected?"

Cause coming in at 2am, I would definitely want my room being ready as my priority :goodvibes

Apparently we have Streamlined Check In too. This is the my first trip to WDW since I was 13 and everyone elses first trip so I was actually looking forward to checking in.

Apparently we have Streamlined Check In too. This is the my first trip to WDW since I was 13 and everyone elses first trip so I was actually looking forward to checking in.

You can check in the normal way. You don't have to go to the Streamlined kiosk, it's just an option.

I would love to streamline as I have MBs from last year however because I'm from Canada I don't get the option. :(

Our online check in says we are streamlined also. Hopefully when they text you your room number they say what section (50,60,70,etc..) and building's Icon (mickey phone, play doh, roger rabbit, etc..) so you know where you are going.

Our online check in says we are streamlined also. Hopefully when they text you your room number they say what section (50,60,70,etc..) and building's Icon (mickey phone, play doh, roger rabbit, etc..) so you know where you are going.

On this thread, post 2 on page one, go to this:
The Buildings: 10 T-shaped themed lodges; 4 floors each

Click on the year 1950, 1960 etc. that will take you to a detailed map of each building with building numbers.

I think I will screen shot them into my phone so I can find my way.

OR look at the maps and write down the building number for each section so if room starts in a certain number you can head to that building .

Oh fiddle! Just remembered the resorts HAVE signs directing you by room number!!!!

1st digit is building, 2nd digit is floor number(1 is 1st, 4 is top etc) then last 2 numbers your room number.

I would recommend when you check in on line,
Mark a time much earlier that 2am. Personally I would probably check 3pm since that is the normal check in time and your room number should be available for the text or the Not sure option (that defaults to 11am).

Thanks, that's what I was thinking of doing. I'd love to know our room location prior to boarding the plane at 8:30pm (9:30pm Disney time).

I was thinking...if streamlined check-in is becoming the norm, won't this dramatically reduce switching room assignments at check-in, especially later in the day once incoming guests have received a text with their room number? It's not like Disney can then bump someone to give you the room location you want, right? :confused3 (I've never asked to switch room locations, but it appears to happen quite often from what I've read here on the DIS).

Thanks, that's what I was thinking of doing. I'd love to know our room location prior to boarding the plane at 8:30pm (9:30pm Disney time).

I was thinking...if streamlined check-in is becoming the norm, won't this dramatically reduce switching room assignments at check-in, especially later in the day once incoming guests have received a text with their room number? It's not like Disney can then bump someone to give you the room location you want, right? :confused3 (I've never asked to switch room locations, but it appears to happen quite often from what I've read here on the DIS).

It would appear that us that come in late (we land at 7:55 and won't check in till probably 9 or so) will have less of a variety if we wanted a different room location. Like you, I will add my requests but would never ask to switch rooms. We are not in the room enough to worry about the location.

I have read that you can still go to the front desk and ask them to look to see if anything else matches your requests but they can only pull from what is available so if there is not a room that matches your request available, then they couldn't assign it to you anyway :thumbsup2

For us it will even be more difficult since we have 2 rooms and our first request would be to be rooms next to each other (preferably connecting) so we will take what we get and be happy we are at Disney! :goodvibes

I am wondering what will happen if I have gotten my room assignment and my text with my room number, then someone comes in and isn't happy with their room, they look at their requests and it matches the room they have assigned to me. Will they then give it to that person and resend me a new room number? OR is this new way of assigning rooms blocking those rooms from even appearing when they check for availability for those that aren't happy with their room assignment?

I am wondering what will happen if I have gotten my room assignment and my text with my room number, then someone comes in and isn't happy with their room, they look at their requests and it matches the room they have assigned to me. Will they then give it to that person and resend me a new room number? OR is this new way of assigning rooms blocking those rooms from even appearing when they check for availability for those that aren't happy with their room assignment?

But even when it says "streamlined" you still need to verify that you are you by showing your I.D.

But if there isn't anything extra that needs to be done prior to getting to your room, I think this will work out well. :goodvibes

I went back in to my account & it said it was streamlined. I got the package awhile back that had the free Memory maker included. So don't know what to say but maybe go back into your account. It might be there.

Bummer. Went back in. Nothing.

Once the email or text gets sent, the system locks out your room just as if you just left the actual check in desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter