• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poor service because of the DDP?

We was there last week.
We got excellent service Spoodle, princess storybook and Chef Mickey. So-so service in Hollywood & Vines and Le Cellier. Bad service in Concourse Steakhouse. very terrible service at Ohana.

Do I have to tell them I am on the dining plan?

If it's not required to disclose it then it's not important to server how I pay.

I like the idea of saying we may pay OOP on this meal.

If I get good service I will tip even if it is included. Bad service has no re-course they get the same amount. I would prefer to leave them guessing
It's very considerate of you to treat your server with so much respect.

No, you don't have to tell the Host/ess (who will ask) that you're using the DDP, and you don't have to tell your server. You also don't have to tell either one when they ask if anybody in your party has any food allergies (which one or the other or both likely will, as well).

They ask these questions to make the process easier for the GUEST. If you do tell your server you're paying with the DDP, she or he will be able to tell you what, if anything, is not covered by your credits - such as 'fancy' drinks in some places, or separately-priced side dishes.

If you choose not to tell them you're using the DDP, or to tell them you have the DDP but have not decided whether to pay for your meal with those credits or with cash, you potentially cause problems at the very least when it's time for the check. If you don't tell them, then order items not covered, they will bring you a check with everything. When you then present your KttW and say you want to use table service credits, your order will need to be rerung on two separate slips. Please note: When you use DDP credits AND order items not covered, you WILL be charged an automatic 18% gratuity on the items for which you pay cash.

At any rate, do whatever you want, but reringing the order will delay your departure and possibly cause you to complain about the poor service at the end of the meal when you were trying to get the check and rush out of the restaurant to see Wishes/Spectro/Fantasmic!/etc.

Great reply kaytieeldr,

All good things to things to think about. I guess with that said I will look forward to seeing the 2008 DDP since gratutuities are not included.

I would rather pay OOP for tips. That way the server gets what they deserve. 18% is cheaper than my average (my waiter tonight got 35%). The current plan pays the server the same whether the service is outstanding or dismal. Not much incentive.

For me nothing can ruin a good dinner faster than poor service.

I didn't have any problems with the waiters.. they were all awesome . even though I was on the DDP I still tipped for the great service.

I just wanted to throw in that the closest I've had to not-excellent service was at Coral Reef, and that was ONLY because it was busy and my server had, as far as I could tell, too many tables. I didn't see him as often as I saw my servers at other restaurants, but I did get all my food, at reasonable intervals, at the correct temperatures (although it wasn't always delivered by him). I got expected service.

eta: "expected" is the wrong word. I got good, reasonable service (and my server was right - I should have taken his suggestion on the appetizer. I made a poor choice on my own :teeth: But I thought I knew better ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter