• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

pool problems!. ever happen to you?

It is rude and inconsiderate for them to "save" 30 chairs but it is childish and immature for them to threaten and harrass you over something like that. That is crazy. DCL should really have done something about that, especially when you were threatened. :(

Considering that there are so few hammocks on Castaway Cay, I always find it extremely rude for one family to claim one for the ENTIRE day. I think the hammock rule should be as follows: Anyone is welcome to relax in a hammock. When you get up to go swimming, etc., someone else can immediately take a turn. No one should be able to lay claim on a hammock all day. Lets be honest folks, how much time do actually spend in the hammock?
I find the " Hooray for us and the heck with you" attitude disturbing.

Go ahead, bring on the flames.

Originally posted by gamom
Considering that there are so few hammocks on Castaway Cay, I always find it extremely rude for one family to claim one for the ENTIRE day. I think the hammock rule should be as follows: Anyone is welcome to relax in a hammock. When you get up to go swimming, etc., someone else can immediately take a turn. No one should be able to lay claim on a hammock all day. Lets be honest folks, how much time do actually spend in the hammock?
I find the " Hooray for us and the heck with you" attitude disturbing.

Go ahead, bring on the flames.

I agree with this to an extent. Claiming the hammock leaving for a swim and coming back to it is not unreasonable BUT claiming the hammock for an entire day is selfish IMO. I hope our cruise isn't a free for all where people rush around to get spots, hammocks, to the buffet etc. I want to relax and I am afraid this may not be the right thing to do. God I hope we don't see alot of this :(

Originally posted by carolsherman
If it were me I would have gotten security myself and pointed the family out.

I got this far in the thread and had to respond before reading the rest... because the entire time I'm thinking- the officer is standing right there... why didn't you or your husband turn to him and ask him what he was going to do about the other guests behavior? or say something to the effect that this person is threatening me and/or I feel I need you to handle this situation to protect me as your guest.
Heck, knowing me I probably would have turned to him and said hello? earth to Disney Cruiseline officer? Are you going to DO anything about this?

LOL
But that's just me.

Ugh.
Read the rest of the thread and gotta tell ya... all this talk about chair hogs, spa hogs, and hammocks taken up first thing in the morning all day by the same people... it's really making me think maybe we should just take another trip to Jamaica instead of going on this cruise. That is not my idea of fun or relaxing at all- worrying about having a chair the entire cruise. :(

Originally posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo
Ugh.
Read the rest of the thread and gotta tell ya... all this talk about chair hogs, spa hogs, and hammocks taken up first thing in the morning all day by the same people... it's really making me think maybe we should just take another trip to Jamaica instead of going on this cruise. That is not my idea of fun or relaxing at all- worrying about having a chair the entire cruise. :(

me too :( Hopefully the need for a chair will not be great since we will be in the pool with DS. It is such a pet peeve of mine when people act like they live alone on this world and take no one else into consideration. We all pay good $$ to cruise and I understand the want of a chair but the entitlement that some have that they are the only ones entitled to their "fair share" at the expense of others is wrong IMO.

I mean if everyone just used the chairs when needed they would not have this silly chair saving anyway. With so much to do on the ship not everyone will be at every pool and on sea days people could just be a little more cooperative and not be chair hogs. UGH

I too am worru=ied this will be a nightmare.

from what I saw this was only a problem at the Mickey pool.... There was only about 30 to 40 chairs in a small area. This is the main pool for small children.

While the Crew Officer was next to my husband.... my husband said multiple times to him.... Please get him away from me, have him move back...etc .... The Crew Officer did nothing except at one point put his hand out in front of the offending family. Of course at that point he was "in my husband's face" and the officer was afraid a punch was coming next.

I must commend my husband on his self control. Normally my husband would probably have stood up and waited for that first punch which he could have blocked and returned fire. My husband may be short but he is a power house. Remember this all happened at the Mickey pool a "kiddie pool"! my husband did not want to frighten any children there let alone make a scene in front of little children. My husband complained to the officer after the family left and then went to Guest Services later in the day to complain also. NOTHING..... He informed them this is certainly not the "Disney Way".

As far as Castaway Cay and saving chairs I saw no problems there. Don't fear this on your vacation. I hope my incident was rare. Usually people are very considerate on Castaway Cay.

Just at the end of the confrontation.... The offending family did state "Hay, I've been arrested before"... Well my husband could not resist a comment like that and replyed " Well, then you should know better".

My question is Does Disney really have Security on their ships.. In the Parks you see them walk around in their Blue shirts with Security written on them..... On the Ship I saw no blue uniforms.... Do they wear white like the officers..... I believe they should say "security" on them if they are a security officer. I can never remember what all those strips on their sleeves mean.

When we went of the tour of the Bridge the girl in her white shirt gave the tour. I thought she was a bridge officer. Until she could not answer my husband's questions and then later that night I saw her dancing in the Theatre show. Obviously she was a cruise dirictor.

When we cruised RCCL in their version of the Navigator they had a chart of what those emblems on their sleeves mean and who they are

GaMom,
No flames from me, but no changed mind either. If I care enough about a hammock to get up early, I have a problem with someone toddling off the ship after sleeping in and then expecting to take it because I'm off having a swim or grabbing some food. If you ask me nicely, I'll be glad to share it. But if you expect to disembark at 11 a.m. and then claim it, that's not gonna happen. (it least not with me).
On the same token, I can't imagine the late-comers all tossing people's stuff off the best beach chairs just because people who got there early are off swimming, eating, snorkeling, or whatever and not in the chairs. Same thing with the hammocks. If getting one is important to you, wake up early or go down to Heads Up Bar.
Barb

FYI, I left my husband and daughter at the dock where the fishing trip leaves from at 8:40am (They had to be there at 8:30 for the Bottom Fishing trip) and I headed directly to the beach. Too late - all the hammocks were taken! Please don't make judgements until you know the facts. I'm an early riser - no TODDLING OFF THE SHIP LATE for me.

Gamom,
On our 5/15/04 Magic cruise, we were off the ship at 9:15 and grabbed a hammock. Around 10:45 my DS (7) and I walked over the the game pavillon and the 4 hammocks near the Heads Up bar were still unoccupied. Sounds like you were just unlucky and happened to be on a cruise with a bunch of Dis-ers who know that the hammocks go fast. Hopefully, you will get one on your next cruise.

I'm with Barb. If I am using a hammock and get up to use the ladies room, grab a drink, or take a quick dip, I am sorry, the hammock should not be snapped up by someone else. I would be happy to share, but come on, there is a fine line....

Erin :D

Gamom, I believe you...you just have to know where to look.
After 38 cruises, I have a decided advantage. I guarantee you that you can almost always (actually, literally always in my experience) get a hammock by Heads Up Bar. People just don't know that they're there.
The situation is worse on the adult beach because there are only three or four hammocks. If you're not on the first tram, forget it.
Barb

Originally posted by IrishCowboy
Gamom,
On our 5/15/04 Magic cruise, we were off the ship at 9:15 and grabbed a hammock. Around 10:45 my DS (7) and I walked over the the game pavillon and the 4 hammocks near the Heads Up bar were still unoccupied. Sounds like you were just unlucky and happened to be on a cruise with a bunch of Dis-ers who know that the hammocks go fast. Hopefully, you will get one on your next cruise.

Same thing on our Jun 10th cruise last week. We got off the ship early and were able to find plenty of empty hammocks toward the end of the family beach. We used the second to the last one on the beach. The four hammocks by the Heads Up bar were unoccupied for the majority of the time we were there.

Just for clarification with our group of 8....... I spent the entire time sitting on or in the ears with my 2.5 year old and watching my 5 year old as well. At least one of my sisters and my Dad were with me or one of the boys the whole time. I agree that it is not safe for little ones to be watched from the chairs and that is not what we were doing but my Dad and 2 Sisters were taking turns helping me with the boys in the pool and reading, eating, talking in our 2 chairs while my MIL stayed the whole time except for using the restroom and getting water in her chair. My Mom who is disabled sat on her scooter in the shade watching the boys play and did not even take up a chair.............we only used these 2 chairs for a couple of hours but as I stated I left to use the restroom while my Dad and both sisters watched my boys (I am paranoid about them in water) until I got back. My MIL spent the whole time in her chair reading and just happened to get up and get a water while I was in the restroom and my sisters and Dad were watching the boys. Point being we were not gone for more than 5 minutes or leaving a bottle of sun block on the chairs but not using them................just to reassure everyone who may not know. The couple that yelled at us is not the norm for a DCL cruise. Everyone is usually so nice and in such great moods to be sailing DCL that this was not normal. But you run in to odd balls everywhere and it was just my experience not near as bad as saving 30 chairs! Go and have a great time :earseek:

You can't control the idiots on a Cruise. 30 chairs is certainly not the norm. Most people on the Disney ship are nice... Lets face it most are familys that have waited a long time to take this trip. It's not cheap.... I'm not angry with Disney about the chairs.... I'm angry because I feared for my safety and they did nothing...

On a 4-day cruise, the bahamas day and the day at sea were mainly spent at the Mickey pool. The bahamas day we arrived at the pool late. We went into town for an hour. We took one chair behind the Mickey slide and husband and I took turns watching daughter. All the other chairs were taken. I expected this, after all I arrived late. I also like to be on top of my daughter when she is in the pool. But since she was doing the slide non-stop for a few hours I figured I could sit and watch her from the chairs instead of standing in the Mickey pool. Lets face most kids do not sit in the chairs. I only saw a few kids sitting in chairs when they were eating, then back on the slide or in the pool. For the 10 minutes it takes a kid to eat they can share a chair with Mom or Dad.

Chair grabbing is everywhere. There are several amusing travel articles about it out there. Bernie Mac even used it as one of the themes in a show earlier this year.

This on my list of things that in theory shouldn't exists, like tailgating or people who make unsolicited rude comments about someones appearance. Everyone pretty much universally says they hate people who act this way, yet there are still people doing it.

A little more golden rule and it wouldn't be a problem.

Chair grabbing is one reason my my family and I are going to Playa to a AI Resort for our summer vacation before my DH deploys again :( It sounds crazy:crazy: but I picked this resort because every review I read said there was NO "towel game playing" and plenty of chairs with shade at the beach and pools. I have melanoma skin cancer so I am very aware of my hours and exposure to the sun and I will use this opportunity to remind everyone to do the same. I also dislike the chair game...... When my boys and I cruise this October on the Magic I am sure everything will be fine and like I said earlier and the last poster stated everyone on the ship is usually there to have fun and excited to be on board and get to share in a really magical experience.

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter