pool problems!. ever happen to you?

samoyed

Mouseketeer
Went to the Mickey pool early on Day at Sea on the Wonder at 8:15...

VERY LONG STORY... short version here... One couple reserved 30 chairs by the pool. (lifeguard informed me of this)..

Family didn't show for hours.... Disney did NOTHING..... I was very surprised by this. The family used profanty on Us and other family's and threatened us.... and told the Crew Officer that his lifeguard was lying.. We were on the second deck... Again Disney did nothing and they had one of their crew members watching the whole thing. The officer was standing next to my husband while the family was screaming at him.

Really scared me... Anybody else have security issues with Disney Cruise Line.

Thats one thing that shouldn't be tolorated! Saving chairs like that. A HUGE pet peve of mine.
I've seen it a million times on other cruise lines.
I really wish they would enforce this rule!

What do you mean you were on the second deck and disney did nothing...I am not understanding that part.

I am also surprised that DCL did nothing about that couple saving all those chairs....that is so wrong!!!

Those people sound like jerks and too bad they ruined yours and so many others enjoyment of the Mickey Pool. So...DCL still did nothing about the situation???

MJ

I'm also confused about the second deck comment. :confused:

The lifeguard told you you couldn't use the chairs because a group of 30 was saving them? That's not right. I've read that CM's don't enforce a lot of rules, but to have the lifeguard tell you that is ridiculous.

Sorry for the confusion.. Like I said this is a really long story that I condensed down for this post. When My husband got to the pool he noticed that the 30 chairs were occupied with the white pool towels...... No people. the lifeguard told my husband that "see that couple , they put all those towels down on the chairs themselves".... We then moved to the second deck to get some chairs. The couple took every chair on the starboard side of the ship at the Mickey pool. If you sit on the port side of the ship you cannot observe your children at the pool because the Mickey slide blocks your view. We took two chairs and a table to watch our daughter on the slide and the pool.

Once a few more family members came they walked up the stairs to my husband and me... they tried to provoke my husband into a fight but he just sat in his chair with the younger guy "in his face".. My husband kept saying "stand back" back off" etc all the while with the Crew member standing next to my husband. The family of three finially walked away .. said to stay away from them that there are 52 of them to deal with.... and that she only was saving 10 chairs while the family was having breakfast so the lifeguard was lying... When they walked away so did the Crew Officer... I felt very scared and vulerable then.... My husband then went to cool off in the Goofy pool and was confronted by another couple that complained about the chairs before we got there. She said the family just harrased them too.

I can understand saving a few chairs... but 30 is just plain rude...

I still tremble when I think about this situation....

Isn't it sad when you need security around for the adults?

The CM was probably a young kid - but he should have called security - He also should have taken the towels off when the couple layed down 30 of them!

I am so sorry you had to go through this -

That would mean the second pool level deck... I guess this is called deck 10 on the ship....

Originally posted by Zandy595
I'm also confused about the second deck comment. :confused:

The lifeguard told you you couldn't use the chairs because a group of 30 was saving them? That's not right. I've read that CM's don't enforce a lot of rules, but to have the lifeguard tell you that is ridiculous.

And I thought there were no lifeguards on DCL. I certainly didn't see any on our cruise. ??

There are two lifeguards at the Mickey pool ... One at the top of the slide guiding the kids down... and One at the bottom of the slide..

Never went to another pool so I don't know about lifeguards there....

This was the case on Both Disney Wonder cruises I took.

The Mickey pool has recreation staff CM's keeping an eye on things but I do not know if they are full fledged "lifeguards".

One is stationed near the bottom of the slide and one at the top.

The other pools do not have lifeguards and it is swim at own risk.

MJ

That certainly deserves a letter to DCL. The problem (though it is one) isn't that the family saved so many chairs with CM approval. The problem is that you were verbally attacked by another passenger over an unallowable action (the deckchair saving) with an "official" CM/Officer to observing the harrasment and doing nothing to come to your aid.

I complained to another cruise line over mistreatment at dinner when they gave us our cake for our honeymoon (an expected and usually welcomed gesture). To the regular person--everything looked normal--but to us, we were humiliated b/c they delayed the cake and we had some place to be and tried to leave and the waiter would not let us leave. We complained b/c even though moments like that are special--there is no need to hold people "hostage" for that moment. The cruise line sent us a $250 gc for dinner as well as an apology.

Just saying that--in this situation--since you were personally verbally attacked as a CM witnessed it--DCL should be able to track down staffing reports to find out who was on deck that day and properly educate them on how to handle the matter in the future. In a perfect world, they could track down that family and ban them from all future cruises :wave2:. (And hey, a little on board credit for your trouble wouldn't hurt either ) :hyper:.

Bottom Line--inform DCL, the sooner the better--and be sure to give a detailed accounting of the incident and send it to the highest possible person on the totem pole. Do not be afraid to talk about how you feared your safety, how you felt violated, et cetera. Focus on those things primarily. You can complain about the saving of the deck chairs as well--but if you focus on that, you will just get a standard "we try to make all guests happy approach.(In our situation--our TA actually wrote a complaint on our behalf as their were other issues on our cruise--but the dining situation was addressed first and foremost in her letter and was very much paid attention to in the response of the cruise line).

Good luck!

That does sound a bit scary and I don't know how I would have handled the situation. For the most part, we saw unsupervised kids who were jumping and rough housing in the Goofy pool and some parents that you just kind of shake your head at, but nothing like what you've described. I'm trying to remember if I even noticed a security guard on board other than when we were still at Port Canaveral. That was the only day that they had a cm located at the bottom of the slide too. On our other 2 days, it was only someone sitting in the chair at the top of the slide.

In hindsight, if you had a cm nearby, then I would have engaged him in the conversation and asked him to call security if he couldn't handle the situation. These people definitely crossed the line and to make a threatening statement like that is horrifying. Did you not meet up with this group again while on your cruise and decide to just let it go? I think it still might be worth a follow up with DCL though. Sounds like they might need to better train their cm's.

I did write a letter to Disney already... My main point is not the deck chairs.. it was the fear of my safety..... I informed Disney I was in Disney world exacly one week after 9/11 and I never was afraid... but this last trip I was very afraid....

Disney did nothing... and the Crew Member next to my husband was an officer... White uniform and all .... not a kid either... older gentleman

Even if they sent a little apology and a cheap bottle of wine I would have felt they addressed the situation... but they did nothing at all... Certain not the Disney way.....

The remainder of our trip was Magical as always staying in the Swan.

Completely understand about the chair thing. On the top strap of the chairs it states “ NO RESERVING CHAIRS FOR LONG PERIODS”. I was on the Wonder two weeks ago and the same problem was going on then. I was alone with my daughter so one chair was never really a problem but two together would have been. After seeing the chair saving the first day I started to watch people while I watched my daughter that thought she needed to be in the pool from 11am to 5pm. People come out to the pool mark their chairs with personal items and leave for hours. 80% of the chairs at the Kiddy/Slide pool went unused because of this. I even followed one couple around and they had chairs at the other pool too. They had kids of different ages so they had spots at both pools. It’s crazy and I’m not sure what can be done other than just stand your ground and don’t give in because what can the chairs savers do to you anyway.

I only had one person get rude with me about a chair, I just told him that his stuff was on the ground and the chair looked unused “SORRY”, I stay in the chair and he huffed off not to return. I’m not going to take any _ _ _ _ off chair savers.

You really should contact DCL immediately. If you give them a detailed description (date, time of day, etc.), I bet they can get in touch with that CM and probably figure out what party that was (especially with that many people involved).

I don't think ANYONE should be allowed to "own" an area like that. They seem to think that majority rules and the more in their party, the bigger say they have. Well, guess what, we all paid for that cruise and we all have equal rights.

I do fault DCL/Cm for not doing something though. That's 30 people out of 2,000 that spoiled the cruise for many many people that morning.

That is terrible--sounds like you got a canned response--you can always keep writing.

The squeeky wheel gets the grease!

That is so awful! People wonder why kids are so badly behaved- look at their parents!!

Wow, Boat Rage....:boat: :badpc: :sad2:

I am sorry you had to face that. Unfortunately, it happened in international waters, otherwise you may have been able to harrass them with some sort of legal challenge. :p

I wonder why an officer was following them and they had such a large party. It would be neat to rumage through the roster to see if someone who thought they were important saved a bunch of rooms. mayeb it was one of those corporate saves I've heard about on here.

I also wonder what the local news would think abotu this incident and if they can get some of that info...:scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter