Pooh sized people, seating issues

smallworldnh

DIS Veteran
We will be arriving on Sunday with another couple who have never been to WDW. My friend is rather large and concerned about being able to fit into some of the ride vehicles. I know that a few have sample seating you can try but don't recall seeing them everywhere. Are most of the rides, specifically Test Track and Soarin, size friendly? He is about 6'3" and weighs around 250-300 lbs. thanks!

There are a couple of good resources on YouTube, specifically a YouTuber named Pammie Plus Parks and BigFatPanda.
Pammy is a plus sized woman and does show all the accessibility features and also shows whether there is a test vehicle.
BigFatPanda doesn’t really do that, but is a big and tall guy and seeing him on attractions should help.

One thing I’d suggest him asking about is whether there is a Transfer Assist Vehicle (TAV) for attractions with small or narrow doors. The TAVs usually have a part that opens wider to assist with transfers. Pammie Plus Parks does mention and sometimes show them

They should be.

Things I’ve noticed on Soarin’:

1. The armrests are snug but can be grabbed on to make you feel more secure.

2. The seat belt is extremely long. It’s best to pull it ALL THE WAY OUT and BUCKLE IT BEFORE you sit down so that you’re not hunting for the buckle that is flush with the seat.

3. The SEAT DEPTH is DECEPTIVE because of that red bumper thing in the back of the seat. There is a ride SIMILAR TO Soarin’ in Canada (it’s made by the same people iirc) and they DON’T HAVE that annoying red seat bumper in the back.

On Test Track:

1. There is a TEST SEAT outside that you can use to see what the best way is for you getting in/out of the ride car as well as testing the seat width.

2. The boarding for the ride vehicle is similar to getting in/out of most of the boat rides. The best way is to first step onto the seat before stepping down onto the bottom of the car.

3. I prefer the seat in the middle as it’s only a lap belt you have to deal with instead of a shoulder belt on the other two seats that just LOVES TO be on your neck. Also when sitting down, it’s best to pull the belt ALL THE WAY OUT and BUCKLE IT before you sit down (the buckle is also flush with the seat).

There are a couple of good resources on YouTube, specifically a YouTuber named Pammie Plus Parks and BigFatPanda.
Pammy is a plus sized woman and does show all the accessibility features and also shows whether there is a test vehicle.
BigFatPanda doesn’t really do that, but is a big and tall guy and seeing him on attractions should help.

One thing I’d suggest him asking about is whether there is a Transfer Assist Vehicle (TAV) for attractions with small or narrow doors. The TAVs usually have a part that opens wider to assist with transfers. Pammie Plus Parks does mention and sometimes show them
thank you so much for the excellent information! I'll check out both! :)

They should be.

Things I’ve noticed on Soarin’:

1. The armrests are snug but can be grabbed on to make you feel more secure.

2. The seat belt is extremely long. It’s best to pull it ALL THE WAY OUT and BUCKLE IT BEFORE you sit down so that you’re not hunting for the buckle that is flush with the seat.

3. The SEAT DEPTH is DECEPTIVE because of that red bumper thing in the back of the seat. There is a ride SIMILAR TO Soarin’ in Canada (it’s made by the same people iirc) and they DON’T HAVE that annoying red seat bumper in the back.

On Test Track:

1. There is a TEST SEAT outside that you can use to see what the best way is for you getting in/out of the ride car as well as testing the seat width.

2. The boarding for the ride vehicle is similar to getting in/out of most of the boat rides. The best way is to first step onto the seat before stepping down onto the bottom of the car.

3. I prefer the seat in the middle as it’s only a lap belt you have to deal with instead of a shoulder belt on the other two seats that just LOVES TO be on your neck. Also when sitting down, it’s best to pull the belt ALL THE WAY OUT and BUCKLE IT before you sit down (the buckle is also flush with the seat).
Also great tips! Thank you!

A few tips that make life easier:
Winnie the Pooh: The doors is slightly larger in the back row as I recall.

7DMT is difficult for many "skinny" people and impossible for many larger sized people.

tower of terror ask for the transfer seats in the front. Bonus you get more air time.

Star Tours ask for the transfer seat to be opened for you. It makes it easier.

Rise of the Resistance, again ask for the door to be opened.

Expedition Everest, the back row, seat closest to the loading station is slightly larger than the rest.

Flights of Passage has a test seat, but is definitely hard to impossible for larger guests due to them not thinking and deciding not to provide alternative seating for larger guests and guests with disabilities. Given when the attraction was built and the theme, I consider this a major design flaw.

Soarin' the seats on the ends closest to the edges of the theater are the widest. Unfortunately with around the World this isn't a great view.

For all attractions with seatbelts, it is best to pull the seatbelt all the way out before sitting down.

Also, never be afraid to ask for extra space, such as asking for an empty seat next to you or for your own row, etc. We need our own rows on Splash Mountain for example and it is never an issue.

A few tips that make life easier:
Winnie the Pooh: The doors is slightly larger in the back row as I recall.

7DMT is difficult for many "skinny" people and impossible for many larger sized people.

tower of terror ask for the transfer seats in the front. Bonus you get more air time.

Star Tours ask for the transfer seat to be opened for you. It makes it easier.

Rise of the Resistance, again ask for the door to be opened.

Expedition Everest, the back row, seat closest to the loading station is slightly larger than the rest.

Flights of Passage has a test seat, but is definitely hard to impossible for larger guests due to them not thinking and deciding not to provide alternative seating for larger guests and guests with disabilities. Given when the attraction was built and the theme, I consider this a major design flaw.

Soarin' the seats on the ends closest to the edges of the theater are the widest. Unfortunately with around the World this isn't a great view.

For all attractions with seatbelts, it is best to pull the seatbelt all the way out before sitting down.

Also, never be afraid to ask for extra space, such as asking for an empty seat next to you or for your own row, etc. We need our own rows on Splash Mountain for example and it is never an issue.
I'll never understand why they didn't add seats to all attractions that could accommodate people with handicaps as well as people of size! my mom had such a hard time getting out of Frozen last October. I am bringing a small stool for her this time!! Thank you so much for the excellent information!

We will be arriving on Sunday with another couple who have never been to WDW. My friend is rather large and concerned about being able to fit into some of the ride vehicles. I know that a few have sample seating you can try but don't recall seeing them everywhere. Are most of the rides, specifically Test Track and Soarin, size friendly? He is about 6'3" and weighs around 250-300 lbs. thanks!

One thing I've noticed is that depending on how a person is built (long legs vs. their height in the upper body), ability to bend their knees, etc. really affects comfort in rides. I'm not tiny and somewhat tall for a woman (5'9") and have terrible knees (I rent an ECV - my knees both need replacing). No problems with 7DMT for me at all but Small World or Splash Mountain just about kills me (for my knees). Otherwise I fit and there's nothing I cannot ride although Astro Orbiter just about kills me getting in or out (haven't done it in awhile). I've ridden Disney rides with shorter people who were around 250lbs and they rode everything at Disney. I'd think he is likely to fit into most if not all rides especially if he doesn't have any knee or back issues.

I like the suggestion of finding the seat belt before you get fully seated - I do that whenever I can!

I'll never understand why they didn't add seats to all attractions that could accommodate people with handicaps as well as people of size! my mom had such a hard time getting out of Frozen last October. I am bringing a small stool for her this time!! Thank you so much for the excellent information!
Frozen was built a long time ago as Maelstrom, the amount it would cost to retrofit a boat would be astronomical, I do get that one.

But anything built in say the last 30 years definitely should be fully accessible.

Star Tours transfer seat doesn‘t have anything to open; it is the seat closest to the entrance door on the front row with an aisle next to it. The armrest on the aisle side can be folded up, which can make it easier to board. If you want to use that seat and the armrest feature, tell the CM. This website has details.

You wont be able to use a stool for boarding attractions.
If she needs help getting over the side, you can ask to use the Transfer Assist Device (also called Transfer Tier). They are available on request for many of the hard-to-get-over-side attractions. It looks like a small set of steps or bench that hooks over the side of the ride vehicle. It’s not a set up steps to walk up - it’s meant for wheelchair users who can’t stand/can’t stand securely to sit on.
The first step is about wheelchair seat height and the next steps go over the side of the ride car, then down to the seat. Wheelchair users park their wheelchair next to the first step, then transfer over to it and ‘bump’ up and down the steps into the ride vehicle. Getting out is done the opposite way.
Someone not using a wheelchair can do the same thing - they would just sit on the first step instead of transferring from a wheelchair.

Star Tours transfer seat doesn‘t have anything to open; it is the seat closest to the entrance door on the front row with an aisle next to it. The armrest on the aisle side can be folded up, which can make it easier to board. If you want to use that seat and the armrest feature, tell the CM. This website has details.

If she needs help getting over the side, you can ask to use the Transfer Assist Device (also called Transfer Tier). They are available on request for many of the hard-to-get-over-side attractions. It looks like a small set of steps or bench that hooks over the side of the ride vehicle. It’s not a set up steps to walk up - it’s meant for wheelchair users who can’t stand/can’t stand securely to sit on.
The first step is about wheelchair seat height and the next steps go over the side of the ride car, then down to the seat. Wheelchair users park their wheelchair next to the first step, then transfer over to it and ‘bump’ up and down the steps into the ride vehicle. Getting out is done the opposite way.
Someone not using a wheelchair can do the same thing - they would just sit on the first step instead of transferring from a wheelchair.
Interesting, at Disneyland, the arm side rest opens out and makes it far easier to board for larger guests. I figured it would be the same at Disney World as I would have expected them to be identical. We don't usually do Star Tours at Disney World, so didn't know it was different there.

And interesting about the transfer device, for Frozen, that doesn't sound like it would help DH much, getting in isn't the hard part, it is stepping up to get out. Stepping down when getting out isn't an issue either, again, it is getting up and over the inside. It is a bit easier now that the plexiglass has been removed, but still hard.

Interesting, at Disneyland, the arm side rest opens out and makes it far easier to board for larger guests. I figured it would be the same at Disney World as I would have expected them to be identical. We don't usually do Star Tours at Disney World, so didn't know it was different there.

And interesting about the transfer device, for Frozen, that doesn't sound like it would help DH much, getting in isn't the hard part, it is stepping up to get out. Stepping down when getting out isn't an issue either, again, it is getting up and over the inside. It is a bit easier now that the plexiglass has been removed, but still hard.
We didn’t ride it this trip, but I‘d describe the armrest at Star Tours to be similar to the fold back armrests on some rows on an airplane, but more substantial.
I thought I had a picture of the Frozen transfer device. It can be used for getting in and out, but the guest still needs to swing their legs over the side. It can be easier when seated than standing and stepping over the side. Still, not something everyone can do.
It works best if the guest is strong enough to lift themself to ‘bump’ their butt up or down to the next step. My DD is not able to do that, so the transfer tiers are more in our way than any help. When she was little, we could lift her into rides like that with one of us inside and one outside. At 5 feet tall, around 85-90 pounds with a lot of spasticity in her legs and trunk, we can’t really do that anymore

If the small stool looks anything like a seat, I don't think it is allowed in the parks - no folding chairs, etc, allowed.

I'm pooh sized, in the same weight range as your friend. 7DMT is really uncomfortable as the lap bar comes down and reduces the room for the thighs. I can still ride it but it is not comfortable at all. The ride is wonderful and not long, so I survive.

Test Track is fine, although one of the outer seats is better than the middle seat. Pulling the seat belt out all the way before attempting to latch it is key for this ride, and Soarin'.

Definitely try the test ride vehicle outside of FOP. Ask a cast member for help as they aren't always standing right next to the vehicle. I fit fine, but it is a tight squeeze.

Slinky dog is also tight.

I think he’ll be fine. My husband is 6’1 and 330 lbs (sometimes more) and there are no rides at Disney he can’t ride. He does have a lot of rides he can’t ride at other parks like Busch Gardens and Hershey Park. The ride attendant did have to push down hard to get him in FOP but he fit. He was fine in TT and Soarin.

7DMT is hard for me to fit in and I am a 5’8” 250 pound woman. My 6’3” son also finds it hard and he is really skinny. It’s the lack of leg space that gets him.

I just saw this post (we just got home this morning). I did bring the stool with me but as you said, they wouldn't let us use it. :( Mom had difficulty getting in and out of the boats, Frozen being the worst to get out of, but was able to do it with the help of one of our friends. She did pull a muscle in her leg though. It took quite awhile to get her out. They tried the Transfer Tier but it was no help at all. If they only had some type of step device that would go on the floor of the boats with maybe 3 steps, it would not have been a problem at all! We also notice both for mom and my pooh sized friend that some of the ride vehicle doors were pretty narrow and easy to get stuck in, specifically Spaceship Earth and the like!

Exactly!!!!

I think he’ll be fine. My husband is 6’1 and 330 lbs (sometimes more) and there are no rides at Disney he can’t ride. He does have a lot of rides he can’t ride at other parks like Busch Gardens and Hershey Park. The ride attendant did have to push down hard to get him in FOP but he fit. He was fine in TT and Soarin.
So FOP... We didn't try the test vehicle and made it all the way to the ride and they couldn't secure the back all the way at first. After a lot of trying to scoot closer to the front and pushing by the CM, they got the back "sort of" secured but couldn't do the legs. His size sounds very much the same as your husbands. Personally, I think the CM had an attitude as well. He was humiliated having to leave the ride area and I felt awful for him. They did give our party two "free" ride selections each in any park to compensate though so that was nice I guess. I just wish they would do something more to accommodate all shapes and sizes of people. For the money we pay, I can't see any reason why not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!