"Pooh-Sized" Moms - What sling to use...

DisneyLovingMama

DIS Cast Member<br><font color=teal>I'll be your E
Trying to find a sling to use with DS in a month. I've read a lot about MeiTei and HotSlings. Have any plus-sized moms worn these? Are they comfortable? Is the baby secure?

DS (7 mos when we travel) can kind of sit up and loves watching the world around him. Will a sling allow him to do that? He's 27 inches and about 16 pounds.

I got the Hip Hammock and don't feel DS is secure in that. Not sure if it's my size or his.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I used the NoJo Original Baby Sling with my DS from the time he was born until he was around 15 months. During that time, I was "Pooh-Sized", wearing about a size 20. I like the NoJo because the pouch area for him was roomy so he could actually move around a little but the edges were snug enough against me that he couldn't slip out. I never visited the parks with him in there but I brought him enough places and for long enough times that I knew, and he did too, that it was a safe and cozy place for him.

I definitely wouldn't use the hip hammock, there are many better products out there for a young 7 month old (although I do like mine, I feel it's better for a larger older toddler). I never used a sling but loved my Baby Bjorn carrier when we took my 6 month old to the parks.
Are you taking a stroller too? A 16+lb baby in any kind of carrier with the heat all day may not be too much fun.

Yep, we will have our lightweight stroller. I figured I'd use the sling when we're in line and if DD5 needs a rest and wants to be pushed in the stroller. I also plan to use it while we're on our cruise, so I'm not pusing the stroller through the pool area.

Try Elizabeth Lee Designs and make yoru own for as big as you need. Elizabethlee.com is the web site. Then you can also buy really cute Disney Fabric.
HTH
Tina

BBGirl said:
Try Elizabeth Lee Designs and make yoru own for as big as you need. Elizabethlee.com is the web site. Then you can also buy really cute Disney Fabric.
HTH
Tina
Thank you for this tip, but :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Oh, if you only knew me! Sewing machines and I are not friends. I was attacked by one in 7th grade and haven't gone near one since. I don't even know how to hem my pants - I use tape or a stapler. :earboy2: Seriously, I do wish I had some talent in this area (would save me beaucoup bucks, but I don't). I did take a look at that site and they do have a lot of nice stuff.

DisneyLovingMama said:
Thank you for this tip, but :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Oh, if you only knew me! Sewing machines and I are not friends. I was attacked by one in 7th grade and haven't gone near one since. I don't even know how to hem my pants - I use tape or a stapler. :earboy2: Seriously, I do wish I had some talent in this area (would save me beaucoup bucks, but I don't). I did take a look at that site and they do have a lot of nice stuff.
If you know someone who sews this really will be you best bet. Made one DH and he is POOH SIZED-it was the only way to get one that worked well. If that really not possible try nestmom.com they have all kinds aand will special make if you need.
HTH
Tina

Several of my friends are either pooh-sized or large-chested and they all like Hotslings...very comfortable! Personally I am large-chested (still nursing!) and I know the ring slings (Maya Wrap-type) are not comfortable for me for long periods of time...I am already top-heavy leaning forward and the extra 20 lbs. strapped to my front just doesn't work!! I think I will be looking for a Hip Hammock or a Hotsling before our November trip with a 1 yr. old! :sunny:

ahh.. a subject very near and dear to my heart! I love slings! :love:
I have an adjustable fleece pouch from KangarooKorner.com and I love it- dd is 6mos and likes to sit and watch everything going on, like you mentioned. I now wear her on my hip and she can cuddle and still be a part of everything.
I am very large-chested (still nursing, too!) and the one I ordered fits me great- they have them in s,m,l,xl
I thought, when I first ordered this, that it would only work in the cooler months, since it's fleece, but everyone who's had one told me it's fine in the summer, and I tested it today (70's) and it was comfortable- I just dressed dd lightly and it was great.
They also sell them in cotton, but I tried one of those and wasn't a fan- the fleece is better, in my opinion, because the fabric gives a little bit-

anyway, check out the website- they have lots of pictures and can explain it better than I can :)
good luck finding a sling you like!

When I bought my sling (10 years ago) there were few choices. I have a NoJo that has "grown" along with me during those years, unfortunately. I tried another brand (OTS) that has various sizes (S, M, L) in a medium and it almost strangled me! So I am definitely a large.

The NoJo is very adjustable. I usually wear my tots for at least 18 months.

New baby on the way and I will definitely be purchasing a new sling. After 8 years of almost constant use, it is wearing thin!

I used a Nojo on our trip when DS was 18months and about 22 pounds. I am very busty and broad shouldered and it worked fine. (I wear an XL, 18 or 20 top) I love the way he could sit on my hip. We used it in line and on buses. The rest of the time he walked or rode in his stroller. We also drapped the sling over the stroller for extra shade sometimes. All in all it worled great. It is also reasonable priced and availible at several stores. I bought mine at babies r us. I have often seen them at kid resale shops too. Good luck and have a great time.

I LOVE my NOJO (padded) and the Maya (unpadded) one I made. Depending on the heat would make my descion on which to bring. Unpadded one is more comfortable in the heat IMO.

I have a maya wrap that is great. They come in different sizes and I think they run large-I wear a medium and am a size 16-18. I also use a Sachi Mei Tai which is wonderful. It was custom made to have longer straps, but I think the standard size would have worked fine. I wanted my dh to be able to wear it. I think I am going to take the Mei Tai this trip because it is more comfy than the sling for longer periods of time, and I can carry either child (22 lb 11 month old and 36 lb 3 year old). http://www.sachicarriers.com/index.php

I know that there are many people here that swear by Hotslings, but I am not one of them. I ordered one - all excited thinking that it was going to be awesome. I hate it. DS hated it. I returned it right away and was charged a $5 restocking fee...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: There is no way to adjust a hotsling - it either fits or it doesn't......there isn't a whole heck of a lot of "give" to them, which may be tough on a "pooh-sized" woman looking for a nice fit......

I am now re-starting my wrap/sling search, so this thread has been great. Two friends of mine have the Maya wraps and SWEAR by them, so that is probably what I will end up with. DS at 7 months is already 19 pounds, so I know that I am going to want something to carry him in when we are on line.

Wife says to use "Slingezee" at parentingconcepts. add the .com to find it.

Wife is a Pooh size (18 to 24 during and after pregs.). She is also large in the chest area (HH) :earseek: which I like :love: . She has carried DD up to 1 1/2 years old and now DS, now 10 months. she says they are always secure.

Also says it is very comfortable.

I have seen kids twist and turn in this thing so they can see what is happening. She can also nurse in it. It covers everything, which is improtant to her :confused3 but not to me :earboy2:

Have fun

I have a mei tai from meitaibaby.com - gorgeous! I know Octi baby mei tai is specially mae for larger women... slings are infinatly adjustable so just get one you like - I like the shoulder of rev jan's (sleepingbabyproductions I think?)
I also have an ellaroo which is awesome... and a hotsling

LOL yes I love me some baby carriers :rolleyes1

anyway join the babywearingswap group on yahoo for great deals!

that's where I got all my carriers :p

I have used Rosado slings for the last eight and a half years, I got one before DS was born and have bought three more since then! I love them!

The mom that makes them is larger size as well so they fit great for us bigger moms! I have a large and medium, I used the medium when the kids were smaller and use the large now that they're bigger.

Rosado slings

I'm pretty pregnant (meaning quite large in the belly) and I bought a JJ Cole Premaxx to use on our recent trip to WDW. I loved it. It didn't interfer with my belly, had lots of room to tighten or expand. Pockets for keeping things--sippy cup in our case. And was much easier for me to use than the normal slings I see. It is more of a stay put type of sling. The baby liked it also. I bought it at Target for about $50.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!