• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pooh Size and Astro Orbiter question

Flamingeaux

If I am posting I am at home dreaming about Disney
Recently I heard somewhere that pooh sized people either have a hard time riding or can't fit in the AO rocketship. How true is this? Can someone compare fitting into AO vs Space Mountain? thanks

I'd say getting in out of the ride would be the hard part, especially if you have any mobility issues, bad knees, etc. I can't comment on the AO at WDW as I've never rode it, but the one at DLR the capsule seems a bit narrow. It wasn't comfortable, and I'm sure I looked an idiot getting in and out of it. Depends on your definition of pooh. I'm a short stocky guy with a belly but I fit on FOP (barely) and everything else without issue.

Based on our experience, AO might be difficult. Both DH and I fit in one "car", but then it wobbled and leaned out/down so much, we thought we were going to fall out. Space Mountain was fine.

I liken it to getting in and out of a standard sized bathtub, meaning best to push up with your arms before you can even get your legs under you. If you ride with a child, child sits in front of you in the same bathtub space. I'm 5'10" and was about 300 lbs when I last was on AO. I was okay, but I had to concentrate on getting out.

In 2015 I was 315lb at 6'1" (42" waist/XXXLT shirts) but had no mobility issues and had no real issues getting in/out of AO...also I rode it with 2 of my 5yr old girls in the vehicle with me so there was plenty of additional room.
Space Mountain I seemed to have slightly more room sideways but I really do not recall as it was almost 4 years ago now.

If you have a bad knee or two that may make it difficult but not impossible.
Personal recommendation is to ride AO at night after its dark and all the lights are on.

I think of all the WDW rides FOP is the most difficult but there are good tip videos on YouTube for how to give yourself the best chance to ride.

I rode with my friend in college and felt incredibly squished and claustrophobic. I'll never ride it again.

I'm 6'2 around 300, size 48 inch waist. When I rode, it was a little tight getting in, but I did. Getting out was tough. I had a hard time pushing myself up, because I kinda had to turn a bit to the side to wiggle out. I'm sure it was quite a sight lol.

I thought my husband and I might be stuck in that AO rocket together forever, getting out was quite the experience and sight I am sure, it was very snug and I could not wait to get off and have never desired to try it again. They are very small and in my opinion much more snug than space. I always have tons of room around me riding space, which was not the case with AO even if I had been by myself.

I'm on the edge of not being able to fit on Astro Orbiter (5-foot-10, anywhere from 350-375 depending on how my most recent dieting attempt has gone), and I usually end up skipping it because it's not worth the wait for the ride for the struggle of fitting. That said, I do fit, and my tips for Pooh-sized people riding would be:

- Try to ride solo if you can. A Pooh-sized person with a normal sized person makes for a tight squeeze (and two pooh-sized people is... let's just say not great...)
- Pull the seatbelt out and flip it over the side of the rocket before you get in. It's easier to grab it this way than to try to dig it out once you're in there.
- As multiple people have mentioned, when you're getting out, push up from both sides, then stand in the middle, then exit the rocket.

During the ride itself, the rocket doesn't actual feel THAT bad. It's really just the entry/exit process that aren't Pooh-friendly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter