Poly Memorial Day Weekend Trip Report

kandlsutton

Mouseketeer
Just returned from our 1st stay at Poly as DVC members to celebrate our youngest son’s 18th birthday, high school graduation, and soon to be DVC owner.

5/26 Day 1:
  • Did online check in and room was ready around 5pm as we were arriving after 9 hour drive. I thought that since we have adult kids there would be less restroom stops, but that was not the case.​
  • Bell services was efficient and brought our bags up shortly after we got to our room. Requested connecting rooms, but instead got side-by-side rooms.​
  • We were in Pago Pago on 2nd floor facing Tokelau/Moorea and happy we didn't get parking lot view. Location is convenient to TTC and bus stop.​
  • Birthday dinner was at Steakhouse 71. Had to try the Bacon and Eggs, which was excellent, and also had the filet.​
5/27 Day 2:
  • 16 hour day! Note to self, do not do this again on 1st day in the parks.
  • At 7am, missed virtual queue for GotG. Purchased $17 per person individual LL to ensure we would be able to ride. Purchased $15 RotR per person individual LL for 7:45pm. Purchased $15 per person Genie+ and snagged Slinky for 5:45pm. Expensive morning, but its a short trip on a busy weekend.
  • Headed over to Epcot for Early Entry and it was crazy, but expected, for opening day of Guardians. The line to Connections was ridiculous!
  • Rode Test Track, Mission Space , GotG ILL, and Soarin’ before 11am (including 2 long lines at Joffrey’s).
  • At 10:30am, stacked LL for Smuggler’s Run.
  • Headed over to the Member Lounge to charge up phones and relax. Just missed having to get on the waitlist.
  • At 12:30pm, stacked LL for RnRC.
  • Lunch at La Creperie - crepes were ok, but probably will stick to dessert crepes at the walk up window.
  • At 1pm, snagged virtual queue for GotG with a 5pm return. So what do we do now??
  • Take Skyliner to Hollywood Studios for MFSR LL at 3pm. Stop at Baseline Taphouse for beverages while waiting for return time. At 2:30, stacked LL for TSM and mobile ordered Docking Bay 7 for anticipated break between Slinky and RotR.
  • Ride MFSR (love this ride) and head over to RnRC. By 4:30 return windows for LLs were conflicting with already stacked LL, so didn't get another one, RnRC goes down during our window, so we get a replacement LL for any ride (other than SDD, RotR, and ToT).
  • Decisions, decisions! Do we skip SDD and head back to Epcot for GotG?? Heck yea !!! ( But my feet already are getting blisters, so it was a tough call).
  • Skyliner back to Epcot and hoof it over to GotG, which has been delayed. Waited in VQ line for 90 minutes, missing SDD return time and having to push back mobile order multiple times.
  • Since we paid for RotR, we had to go back to HS. Again, Skyliner was our choice and took about 20 min,
  • Get to HS and RotR is DOWN! Got another replacement for LL, but that in no way would compensate for $15 pp charge. Planned to visit Guest Services at park close.
  • Rode TSM during our 8:15pm return window then headed over to Docking Bay 7 for late dinner. Docking Bay 7 is a one and done for us.
  • At 8:45pm, RotR is back up!! So we head over there since I paid for it…
  • At 9:10pm, check into Oga’s for our late reservation. No seats, so order 1 drink and head to buses. Get back to Poly around 10:30 and my feet are hating me!

5/28 Day 3:
  • At 7am, snag virtual queue boarding group 10 for GotG with 9:30am return. Buy Genie+ to stack LL‘s at HS and MK. Started with ToT with 3pm return time. Bought SDMT ILL at 8pm for $12 per person. Again, expensive morning..
  • At 9am, we head over to TTC to catch monorail to Epcot. MISTAKE - tried to get the kids (18,22) to leave by 8:45am, but no luck. Definitely need ro get to TTC before all the MK guests start arriving. Long line in security, but made the next monorail.
  • GotG VQ expired while on the monorail before the original return time. Freaking out a little at this point, but my blistered feet covered with blister bandaids can only move so fast. Boarding groups 30 and below were able to enter, so no need to rush. Wish I had realized that earlier.
  • 2nd time through VQ was much shorter (30 min) and we had a couple of hours before our 1:40 Teppan Edo ADR.
  • At 10:30, checked RnRC return time, which was too early, so had to wait until return overlapped with ToT.
  • Headed back to the DVC lounge and waited until 11am opening (there was a line), but I was able to rest up. Continued to wait for RnRC LL around 3.
  • Around 12pm, most of the crew was bored so they headed over for Remy standby with a 45 min wait. Wait time jumped to 75 min and they were concerned about lunch ADR so left the queue.
  • I headed over to Japan around 12:45, but got smarter and took a friendship boat to Morocco then met them in Japan.
  • Teppan Edo was good but I think we prefer dinner there.
  • DH and kids took Skyliner over to HS for RnRC and ToT LL while i made my way back to front of Epcot to take monorail back to Poly.
  • Continued to stack LL at MK and was able to get BTMRR (before SDMT) and Space (after SDMT) and Buzz. Wanted Haunted Mansion between BTMRR and SDMT, but missed it prioritizing Space. Also could have gotten Mickey Minnie at HS, but prioritized RnRC and ToT.
  • Rest of the crew headed back to Poly and went to the Volcano pool to cool off. They left for MK around 7pm fro BTMRR, SDMT and Space. Space went down, but they checked to make sure and were able to ride multiple times before leaving during Harmonious.
  • Meanwhile, I headed to Tambuu Lounge for their dinner since they didn't want Captain Cook’s. Ordered pot stickers, terriyaki wings and ‘Ohana noodles with my drink. Then got 2 large to-go boxes and treked back to Pago Pago.
5/29 Day 4:
  • At 7am (yes again!), debated buying Genie+ and/or Flight of Avatar ILL. Since we had Wild Africa Trek tour at 12:30pm (wanted something earlier to beat the heat but no luck), we didn't want to get to AK early and my feet were begging me to rest up. I hoped the park would be less crowded later in the afternoon and we only wanted to ride Expedition Everest and Avatar.
  • Bought $14 per person FoP ILL for 7pm return. Did not buy Genie+ since we decided to limit
  • Got to AK by bus around 11am and did some pre shopping. Stopped by Yak and Yeti to let them know we would be late for 3:30 ADR due to WAT tour and they added a note.
  • Stopped by Mr. Kamul’s for a quick snack of seasoned fries and found a nice shaded spot off the main walkway with fans on!
  • Kids really enjoyed Wild Africa Trek with up close views of the hippos and crocodiles, giraffes and rhinos. Definitely had more animals when we did the 8:30 tour a few year ago,
  • After WAT, we walked over to Yak and Yeti ADR and were 15 min late but were seated quickly and got a great window view on the second floor. AC was much appreciated!
  • Around 5 pm, headed to Expedition Everest. Rode standby twice with 30 min wait then headed to FoP for ILL at 7pm.
  • FoP was better and different than we remember from December!
  • Joined walk up waitlist for Nomad Lounge. MDE wouldn't take party of 4, so we signed up on two devices for party of 2. Checked in and they were able to combine our parties. Meanwhile, we finished up our shopping.
  • Wait wasn't too long, and we enjoyed a drink and the best churros u til park close at 8pm.
  • Waited 30 min for Poly/GF bus and arrived back to room around 9pm.

Last edited:
5/30 Day 5:
  • Packed up the car and headed over to Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast. It was good, but would not make an effort to get there. Wish I had been able to snag Topolino’, which was excellent when we went in December.​
  • Walked over to the Villas and toured a 3BR (their offices) since dedicated 2BR had another group touring. Also walked back to Sago Cay building to tour resort studio. Other than missing microwave and extra sink, I think we are going to enjoy these rooms.​
  • Guide may not have been the most informed, but a couple of things he said peeked my curIousity.​
    • Deluxe studios still have pull out couch and did not receive the murphy bed wirh the refurb earlier this year. He was reading from his ipad. There was no deluxe studio model, so I was hesitant to push too hard.​
    • I asked whether all resort studios will have a balcony. He replied they would and it would be a booking category. I tried not to laugh..​
    • I asked about the rooms bay window/sitting area and he said they were trying to put in some tower studios. I found that interesting since the floor plans have been released there isn't a tower studio booking category.​
  • Hit the road around 11am for the 9 hour drive home. Again, more stops than anticipated and multiple slow downs/heavy traffic/earlier accidents on I-95 and got home around 8:30pm.​
5/31 Recovery and Trip Report Day
  • All in all, a good trip. Definitely prefer longer stays so I don't feel like I have to cram everything in, especially considering the park hopper cost.
  • I feel like I have a better understanding of how Genie+ works for our family. Usually we hit the park early and by 11am standby lines are long. Stacking Genie+ LL for the 2nd park allowed us to hit the rides at park 1 early and then avoid standby lines in the afternoon/evening.
  • We definitely prefer sit down restaurants. Quick service is to be avoided and just snack untIl the day’s sit down meal. Lounges are a nice diversion and have some good food.
  • Do we need more points?
Now to start tweaking November trip: VGF resort studio, lagoon view or theme park view?

Last edited:

I was exhausted reading your trip. WOW. You packed so much in and walked so much.
We swore when we became DVC members we would change the way we vacation at Disney. No more rope drop to park close and enjoy the resort more. Obviously that hasn’t happened.
We missed out on APs last year and I guess I feel like we have to do the parks all day since I paid over $500 per ticket for 3 days with park hopper.
Next trip in November will be without any of our kids, so hopefully things will change. Or my feet won’t forgive me!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter