Poly booked for March, but should I cancel?

I would probably cancel Poly and stay somewhere else. You've been waiting 30 years for this stay only to have to now have super low expectations in the next few months instead of being excited.

My dream for years has been to visit DLR. My DD and I were planning to go summer of 2021 but looking at the way things are at the moment, we've already decided to push it a year. When we go…and we WILL, I want it all, the resorts, entertainment and nighttime shows. I didn't wait this long to get half an experience (of course, nobody even knows what type of experience we'd have at DLR months from now since it's not even open).

If you were a DVC member and had stayed at the Poly previously, my advice would be different. But I think you should hold out for what you've been dreaming of for 30 years.

Having been to the Poly before, I would keep the trip despite the closures. There’s much I would miss - the entertainers, the fireworks and electric water pageant from the beach, Trader Sam’s - but I’d also enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere. Plus, I always walk to the TTC anyway!

But that’s as somebody who has stayed at the Poly before. If this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip, and postponing it a year is an option, you may want to do that to make it as magical as possible.

If this is your one-and-only chance and you can’t come back in a year, I still think construction Poly will be better than no Poly! But postponing may give you the best of both worlds.

I would probably cancel Poly and stay somewhere else. You've been waiting 30 years for this stay only to have to now have super low expectations in the next few months instead of being excited.

My dream for years has been to visit DLR. My DD and I were planning to go summer of 2021 but looking at the way things are at the moment, we've already decided to push it a year. When we go…and we WILL, I want it all, the resorts, entertainment and nighttime shows. I didn't wait this long to get half an experience (of course, nobody even knows what type of experience we'd have at DLR months from now since it's not even open).

If you were a DVC member and had stayed at the Poly previously, my advice would be different. But I think you should hold out for what you've been dreaming of for 30 years.
Thank you-- that's kind of my thought process and what prompted me to ask the initial question.

Having been to the Poly before, I would keep the trip despite the closures. There’s much I would miss - the entertainers, the fireworks and electric water pageant from the beach, Trader Sam’s - but I’d also enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere. Plus, I always walk to the TTC anyway!

But that’s as somebody who has stayed at the Poly before. If this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip, and postponing it a year is an option, you may want to do that to make it as magical as possible.

If this is your one-and-only chance and you can’t come back in a year, I still think construction Poly will be better than no Poly! But postponing may give you the best of both worlds.
Thank you for your reply-- I probably should have titled my post "postponing" and not "cancelling" as I know I will get there eventually, but likely just once because of the price.

WDW Diane, did you end up staying at the Poly? or did you visit the resort? I'm interested to hear what you thought about the experience during the reno's.... I'm in the same predicament you wrote about in November.

WDW Diane, did you end up staying at the Poly? or did you visit the resort? I'm interested to hear what you thought about the experience during the reno's.... I'm in the same predicament you wrote about in November.
We were there in early March for 3 nights. The construction / renovation did not bother us at all. We found the resort peaceful and were happy it was our first DVC stay.

Hello Fancy-Pants, how kind of you to ask. No, we did not go to WDW at Spring Break at all. We took a driving trip to the Alabama coast instead.
I did not regret my decision after reading about Spring Break at WDW this year. I really look forward to staying at the Poly someday, though. I want the full experience. I've been to Hawaii four times, including staying at Aulani. Do I regret not ponying up for The Polynesian in the past when it was at its prime and pre-pandemic? Absolutely!

We were there in early March for 3 nights. The construction / renovation did not bother us at all. We found the resort peaceful and were happy it was our first DVC stay.
This will be our first DVC stay as well. I was hoping the construction wouldn't be too intrusive. Is there a check-in area still available where we could leave bags upon arrival (before check-in time)? Are there any Poly gift shops open? I think my expectations are very low! 🤣

This will be our first DVC stay as well. I was hoping the construction wouldn't be too intrusive. Is there a check-in area still available where we could leave bags upon arrival (before check-in time)? Are there any Poly gift shops open? I think my expectations are very low! 🤣
Yep, there is a place to leave the bags — its at the temporary “front desk”. We left our bags there the last day as we had an evening flight out. Gift shops are fully open. The walk from Poly to MK was very peaceful first thing in the morning and very few people took advantage of it.

Hello Fancy-Pants, how kind of you to ask. No, we did not go to WDW at Spring Break at all. We took a driving trip to the Alabama coast instead.
I did not regret my decision after reading about Spring Break at WDW this year. I really look forward to staying at the Poly someday, though. I want the full experience. I've been to Hawaii four times, including staying at Aulani. Do I regret not ponying up for The Polynesian in the past when it was at its prime and pre-pandemic? Absolutely!
Well the Alabama coast sounds great too! We were supposed to go to Hawaii for a couple of weeks for my daughter's graduation, but with COVID we decided to hold off on that trip (which is kind of a bucket list thing). My daughter suggested Disney instead and now we're staying at the Poly. I just don't know what to expect, but I'm cautiously optimistic!

Well the Alabama coast sounds great too! We were supposed to go to Hawaii for a couple of weeks for my daughter's graduation, but with COVID we decided to hold off on that trip (which is kind of a bucket list thing). My daughter suggested Disney instead and now we're staying at the Poly. I just don't know what to expect, but I'm cautiously optimistic!
Our Hawaii trip scheduled for June 2020 cancelled too--Hawaii was "closed" so we couldn't go anyway. We've been 4 times before, so not as disappointing as it probably was for your daughter. Staying at the Poly is a good temporary fix for your trip, and should be wonderful, according to recent reports on this board! Hope it's great for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter