Poll: DVC Members' Interest in Universal's Resorts post Epic Universe opening

Will you (DVC member) stay at a Universal resort, within the first two years of Epic opening?

• Yes, first year

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Yes, second year

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • I'm going to EPIC, but staying DVC

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Small sample size, but it seems that Epic Universe could attract a significant number of visitors away from WDW parks and resorts. I'd guess that the number of non-DVC guests trying out Epic Universe and its new resorts will be even higher.

Small sample size, but it seems that Epic Universe could attract a significant number of visitors away from WDW parks and resorts. I'd guess that the number of non-DVC guests trying out Epic Universe and its new resorts will be even higher.
I don't find it surprising that most everyone who enjoys theme parks and visits Orlando will plan on going to Epic Universe at some point. A new theme park opening of this magnitude isn't something that happens often, and the different worlds look pretty cool.

The real metric of its success will be how often people go back year after year, not whether they plan on visiting once.

The universal express pass is an awesome perk of their deluxe hotels, and a couple of them are a super easy walk to both of the current parks. For us that's a lot of benefit. Plus the Helios will have a VGC style entrance directly into EU.

I'm pretty intrigued to see how the express pass perk will work at the new park, and what the transportation will look like.

EU looks very cool to us, will definitely be checking out! Not first year though. No way
Is it really that great of a deal though? Is the savings of paying for a hotel room at UO and paying for UO tickets, but then getting free Express passes that much savings, compared to staying DVC for no cost (other than MF's, of course) and paying for UO tickets and paying for Express Passes?

I'm not being facetious, I'm seriously asking. Because when I looked (and it was admittedly years ago), the Express Pass wasn't that expensive to just buy outright. Then you save the cost of a whole 'nother lodging to pay for.

Is it really that great of a deal though? Is the savings of paying for a hotel room at UO and paying for UO tickets, but then getting free Express passes that much savings, compared to staying DVC for no cost (other than MF's, of course) and paying for UO tickets and paying for Express Passes?

I'm not being facetious, I'm seriously asking. Because when I looked (and it was admittedly years ago), the Express Pass wasn't that expensive to just buy outright. Then you save the cost of a whole 'nother lodging to pay for.
I haven't done the exact math in a while, but we usually can get a pretty solid hotel and ticket package from Costco travel at Hard Rock or Royal Pacific.

It's definitely cheaper overall out of pocket to stay DVC and buy express passes, but far less convenient. And if you rent the points you would have used for the DVC room it's at worst a wash.

Pros and cons to both ways for sure, just depends on how much one values being in the UO bubble and having the easy park access.

We like to be in the Universal bubble, to be able to take an afternoon break, then go back for a little bit of time in the evenings. And possibly enjoying an adult beverage....or two. Don't want to have to navigate I4 after that.
At least 1 person in our family has an AP, so we can look at AP rates for hotels.
For our Oct trip this year:
Sunday: 1 night Royal Pacific AP rate, regular room: 388.28 (same rate for THursday night that week, but Wed night is much more)
Express pass, unlimited, both parks: JUST for Sunday for 3 people: 704.97, and for Monday for 3 people: 554.97, so for both days of express: 1341.87.
For 388.28 for 1 night in a premier, you get 2 days of express. The express is for everyone in the room. So if you traveling just 1 or 2 people, maybe less worth it)
Difference is 953.59. Also Universal does charge parking, RP is 33.00, vs free parking at DVC
Now, for sure you cannot get those rates all the time. We just did one night at Portofino for Spring Break, and with tax, it was a little over $500, but still cheaper than booking something like Endless Summer, and buying 2 days of express for 3 people. Express pass pricing is dynamic, and depends on day of week. You have to pick your day from the calendar when purchasing.

Last edited:
Just adding, a lot of Universal trips, when we do multiple days at Universal, we don't stay in premier every night, we do split stays, with Aventura or Endless Summer. Might do like 1 night premier, 2 nights elsewhere, etc. so we can utilize express at least some of the time, but not want to spend that much money on multiple nights there> gets pricey for sure!

It’s been a few years, but the two times we did it we had parties of four or five adults, which affects the price of the hotel room. The price for EP varies by date, so whether the math works or not sometimes depends on the dates you choose for the hotel stay. But, as pointed out above, the EP is good from checkin day through checkout day, so a minimum of two days. And the resort parking fee is per night and allows in and out privileges, so again resort parking covers two days. I’ve always had to put together a spreadsheet comparing the costs of deluxe hotel reservation vs. not, and so far it has always been less expensive to book the hotel, although one time I did have to pay attention to the dates to make it work.

I have been to Universal, but my kids have not. I definitely plan to check it out within a year or two of opening, but it would be a larger trip where we check out the original parks as well. Depending on hotel perks, would definitely consider staying there.

I don't find it surprising that most everyone who enjoys theme parks and visits Orlando will plan on going to Epic Universe at some point. A new theme park opening of this magnitude isn't something that happens often, and the different worlds look pretty cool.

The real metric of its success will be how often people go back year after year, not whether they plan on visiting once.
I’m not measuring their success, I’m measuring how easy I’m getting standard studios…

My problem with Universal in general is their lack of attention to people of size.
As well as their refusal to accommodate people on scooters. As a solo traveler, telling me to use a wheelchair in queues will not work for me.

I'm a major Harry Potter fan, but I refuse to spend any money with Universal parks until they address both of these shortcomings.

Latest posts

facebook twitter