Poll: Are you going to buy at Riviera

As a DVC Owner - are you planning on adding on points at Riviera

• Yes - I definitely will. I love everything I've seen about the resort

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Maybe - I am still waiting on more information (Points Charts, room selection, etc..)

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • No - I was but not now - I don't like the resale and/or likely points required.

Votes: 78 15.6%
  • No - If I add on, I'll add at one of the older resorts or buy resale

Votes: 154 30.9%
  • NO WAY - I was never even considering it.

Votes: 168 33.7%

• Total voters

skier_pete

DIsney-holics Anon
I feel like all the changes at DVC over the last few months have turned a lot of members off to adding on at the new resorts. I thought I would poll the members on here. I know this probably doesn't represent the "average" member as people here have greater knowledge, but curious to see if there is still interest in adding on. (If one of my poll questions doesn't fit, pick the closest and add your reasoning in a post.)

Also:
https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resor...ciation?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

TO THOSE CHOOSING MAYBE: If the point charts come out and it swings you one way or the other - can you change your results so we can get the most accurate poll results? Thanks!

Last edited:
I wanted to own at an Epcot area resort that has a greater contract length than 2042.. I don’t mind the look of Riviera even though it sits on a moderate resort. But with restrictions I wouldn’t touch it with someone else’s money! We must always consider an exit strategy with these types of purchases.

I think with my current add-on (that is waiting on Estoppel) that I am good on points. Or so I hope. I never really had interest in Riviera and if I do add on again, it will be another resale. Or if Disneyland got more DVC by some miracle, I would add on there for sure!

I think with my current add-on (that is waiting on Estoppel) that I am good on points. Or so I hope. I never really had interest in Riviera and if I do add on again, it will be another resale. Or if Disneyland got more DVC by some miracle, I would add on there for sure!

A new Disneyland DVC would actually get me to purchase direct! Too bad it's unlikely to happen ever.

A new Disneyland DVC would actually get me to purchase direct! Too bad it's unlikely to happen ever.

I agree with this. We love DL, and I was seriously considering adding on at the new rumored DVC out there. I know a DVC component to the new hotel was never confirmed, but it was a rumor. When that hotel got scrapped, I started looking at VGC again. At least it has more than 40 years until expiration. That’s long enough for me as I’ll be in my 70’s then!

We own resale at SSR, and were planning to add 75pts for direct benefits. We wanted to wait for more info about Riviera - but with the resale restrictions I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. Now we will probably just add more SSR points since all the price increases were ridiculous and SSR is the only one that seems to make sense financially.

I'll likely wait to see what happens with the resale prices. If the resale price drops drastically then I'd consider buying resale.

ETA, assuming that I like it when I have a chance to stay on our current points.

I feel like all the changes at DVC over the last few months have turned a lot of members off to adding on at the new resorts. I thought I would poll the members on here. I know this probably doesn't represent the "average" member as people here have greater knowledge, but curious to see if there is still interest in adding on. (If one of my poll questions doesn't fit, pick the closest and add your reasoning in a post.)

I choose "was going to but..."

I was curious about Riviera; I didn't mind the design and liked the idea of gondolas, actually. But after seeing that the points are comparable to the GFV and that I will probably take a bath if I sell it later... I won't add on that way. However, that is because I don't need 75 points to add. So, the perks aren't a "thing" for me (a lowly, second class resale only buyer). ;)

So, I am back to trolling resale searches for small contracts that fit my parameters for when we have the cash to purchase again... or I save enough to add direct from an older resort... or just be happy with my medium sized contract...

I really want an Epcot area resort, but am not interested in either BWV or BVC, so I wanted to like Riviera, I was not impressed w/ the concept art - it looks like a budget condo project to me, but I thought, maybe it’ll look/feel better in person and I was excited about the skyliner but wondered how they’d manage that - would it become like staying at a monorail resort having to fight the masses just to get back to your resort at park closing? Now I see that it looks like it’s going to cost around the same pointwise to stay as it costs to stay @ the VGF. None of these would have absolutely ruled the Riviera out - but the resale limitations absolutely are the final nail in the coffin, I just can’t justify spending $50,000 to stay in the villa size I like to stay in knowing that if I (or my heirs) decide to sell they’d get pennies on the dollar. I’ll use my current points to stay there and if I like it maybe scoop up some Riviera resale points down the line.

The resort has no appeal for me. I strongly dislike the change the gondolas will make to the skyline/ appearance to Disney in general. The ongoing construction has destroyed the beautiful wall from the Epcot resorts to Hollywood studios. The fact that one can’t walk to a theme park makes the Riviera even less appealing to me. I’m so glad I own at Boardwalk.

Having stayed at BCV and VGF for visiting Epcot/DHS and MK respectively, I've really come to value staying near the parks. As a VGF owner, I had MK covered and really wanted to add an Epcot resort to my toolkit.

Up until January of this year, Riviera was a prime candidate. A promising new transportation system to Epcot/DHS, potentially nice finishings (if the rumors were to be believed), and a 50-year RTU.

The new restrictions completely killed those plans.

If I add on there, it'll be by way of resale after several years of seeing how the restrictions play out post-sellout. For now BWV is starting to look pretty good, RTU notwithstanding.

No ownership or long term interest in the resort or location. Might do a short stay there to experience it, but that is about it.

Am neutral on the gondolas - I actually liked the old MK sky ride because it provided a unique perspective, but guest comfort most of the year with no A/C and likely capacity (guests per hour) limitations give me pause. Agree that it is not an aesthetically pleasing transit mode.

Having stayed at BCV and VGF for visiting Epcot/DHS and MK respectively, I've really come to value staying near the parks. As a VGF owner, I had MK covered and really wanted to add an Epcot resort to my toolkit.

Up until January of this year, Riviera was a prime candidate. A promising new transportation system to Epcot/DHS, potentially nice finishings (if the rumors were to be believed), and a 50-year RTU.

If I add on there, it'll be by way of resale after several years of seeing how the restrictions play out post-sellout. For now BWV is starting to look pretty good, RTU notwithstanding.

As a BWV owner, I was really looking forward to adding on some "cheap points" when Riviera launched since I thought maybe demand for BWV would go way down (always so much concern put on the 2042 end date and then a sparkly new resort for competition).

I'm thinking I'm outta luck. Lol

Despite the closer expiration date, we added on at BWV. I actually told my DH tonight that I don't plan on renting out any of my BWV points going forward. We only bought 150 points there, but we've already transferred our and rented out quite a few because we had Epcot resort stays booked already when we purchased. It isn't a great return on your money like the others I own, but it'll be nice to have BWV points at 11 months out. Those 150 points will go quickly with our 2-bedroom stays.

We were also interested in Riviera, possible direct, definitely resale, until the restrictions were announced. I am also in a "wait and see" mode for resale. I don't see direct being a desirable option for us with these new restrictions.

I'm all about location so Rivera was already kind of eh for me but with the new restrictions on resale, it totally killed any interest for me. I would like to add on in the future but probably at one of the original locations near a park.

My answer really should have been No, *IF* I add on in the future it will be at Reflections.

With all the great resorts already available, there's no need to take the risk on this shiny new object that might drop drastically in resale. I'd rather wait about 3 years until this sorts itself out.

With all the changes that DVC is making and who knows what they will do in the next 25 years, I'm no longer willing to buy at any resort.

This is mostly my sentiment as well. I can't help but wonder when will the guillotine come down on ALL resale purchasers.

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter