Polaroid at Disney?

rebeccaariel

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever brought a Polaroid camera to WDW, either an old one or one of those new, compact ones? The reason I ask is because I had a little idea to use a Polaroid to take pictures of the characters, and then get them to sign them, and when I get home I can make something for my wall using the pictures. Any thoughts on this idea? It might be annoying to carry it around but they do have quite compact ones now.

They wouldn't allow you enough time with the character to wait for the photo to develop, so they'd be writing on it blindly. I don’t know about the newer instant cameras, but the Polaroid I had back in the 80s took absolutely terrible photos by today’s standards. You also can't cut those photos because of the chemicals inside.

If it were me, I'd give the characters a standard autograph book to write in. I'd then scan those pages and overlay their inscription onto the photo using Photoshop.

or you can take a frame matte and have them sign it and fill in the pics later.

4619146764_b99a35f76b_o.jpg

Though now that I think about it, a frame matte might be more awkward to carry around. Hm, I'll have to think about it. I really like the idea of decorating with polaroids but I'd have to be okay with them signing them before they develop. Would they even let me get the undeveloped pictures signed?

Using an instant camera is something most people do for the look of the final picture. It's definitely a very different feel than digital. If you're good with the look, then go for it.

If I were doing it I'd just shoot and have the character sign on the white area while it's developing. Just make sure you get film that you don't have to shade while it's developing. I'd also avoid the mini instant films... they're just too small. And be prepared to spend a decent amount of cash on the film.

You could also consider cutting squares or rectangles of mat board that they can sign then you can mount in a frame with the pictures, as a collage, etc...

Using an instant camera is something most people do for the look of the final picture. It's definitely a very different feel than digital. If you're good with the look, then go for it.

If I were doing it I'd just shoot and have the character sign on the white area while it's developing. Just make sure you get film that you don't have to shade while it's developing. I'd also avoid the mini instant films... they're just too small. And be prepared to spend a decent amount of cash on the film.

You could also consider cutting squares or rectangles of mat board that they can sign then you can mount in a frame with the pictures, as a collage, etc...

It's definitely the "look" that I'm after.

Another idea I just had was to buy a pack or two of these picture frames

http://www.umbra.com/ustore/product/snap-frame-white.store

They look like polaroids and aren't too big, so I can stuff a few in my bag each day. If I can find a marker that will work on them, I can just have the characters sign them and slip my digital photos into the frames when I get home. Do you guys think that's a better idea?

They look like polaroids and aren't too big, so I can stuff a few in my bag each day. If I can find a marker that will work on them, I can just have the characters sign them and slip my digital photos into the frames when I get home. Do you guys think that's a better idea?

I like polaroid frames and the matte from above. I have also seen some home made autograph books that have a signature page on one side and a place for a photo on the other.

or you can take a frame matte and have them sign it and fill in the pics later.

4619146764_b99a35f76b_o.jpg
We have people sign picture frames whenever an employee is leaving our organization, and give them a framed picture of the building. Over the years, I've learned to start putting about 1/4" of blue painter's tape around the outside edges. This keeps people from writing in the part of the matte that will be hidden by the frame.

While I think the frames would be a much easier proposition to carry out, I don't know that I'd personally go that way. I'm one who if I want a Polaroid look I'd rather use Polaroid and not fake it. There's something that's just inherently crappy about a real Polaroid image that's part of it's charm to me. Kind of like the reason that some of us use Holgas and other plastic lens cameras. But that's me and you have to do what is right for you.

photo_chick said:
While I think the frames would be a much easier proposition to carry out, I don't know that I'd personally go that way. I'm one who if I want a Polaroid look I'd rather use Polaroid and not fake it. There's something that's just inherently crappy about a real Polaroid image that's part of it's charm to me. Kind of like the reason that some of us use Holgas and other plastic lens cameras. But that's me and you have to do what is right for you.

I know exactly what you mean, and I still have to think about it a bit, but the frames are appealing because they're not just easier to carry around, but more cost effective. Yeah, it's not the real thing, which I would prefer, but it's probably a good alternative. Plus they can't get crushed in my bag, like real Polaroids might. Decisions, decisions!

Has anyone ever brought a Polaroid camera to WDW, either an old one or one of those new, compact ones? The reason I ask is because I had a little idea to use a Polaroid to take pictures of the characters, and then get them to sign them, and when I get home I can make something for my wall using the pictures. Any thoughts on this idea? It might be annoying to carry it around but they do have quite compact ones now.

I have one of the new polaroid cameras (fujifilm instax mini 8). It takes about 20-30 seconds for the picture to develope enough to see where the picture will be. you can also buy film thats predecorated around the picture(some disney themed ones are available too). and quality is good in my opinion, measures up with my phone at least.

wow, 'instant film' cameras are still around. I suppose if you want to get an autograph it's useful

If I were doing it I'd just shoot and have the character sign on the white area while it's developing. Just make sure you get film that you don't have to shade while it's developing. I'd also avoid the mini instant films... they're just too small. And be prepared to spend a decent amount of cash on the film...

My nieces (20 and 17) were in WDW last March and this is basically what they did - for 2 days focused primarily on character meets. Theirs was regular Polaroid size. They had a blast and didn't get any pushback for using t. In fact, the characters loved it and they had fabulous interactions everywhere they went (they also got their Photopass pics). It was their first trip since they were little kids and they had an amazing time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts