Points from different buckets?

Raven01

Proud Momma to DD
Existing reservation with AKL in January.
I am hoping to rent points for transfer that I want used by that reservation, so I can use some of my points on a later reservation.

Is that automatic? Do I need to call?

Once you get points transferred into your account, you will need to modify the reservation to use the transferred points in order to free up what you want to use later. The ability to do this online is new....started yesterday...and there are people who are having trouble with it as the work out the bugs.

So, calling may be the best option to ensure it is done correctly or give it a try once you know for sure the points have been transferred in your account. Just remember, if you used home resort priority, the transferred points need to be the same resort unless there is still availability.

Once you get points transferred into your account, you will need to modify the reservation to use the transferred points in order to free up what you want to use later. The ability to do this online is new....started yesterday...and there are people who are having trouble with it as the work out the bugs.

So, calling may be the best option to ensure it is done correctly or give it a try once you know for sure the points have been transferred in your account. Just remember, if you used home resort priority, the transferred points need to be the same resort unless there is still availability.
I just did a reservation and I could have swore before this update you could select how many points from which contract you wanted to use...is that still possible or did I just dream that...

I just did a reservation and I could have swore before this update you could select how many points from which contract you wanted to use...is that still possible or did I just dream that...

I do not recall any ability to specifically choose number of points to be used from each contract when you have multiple contracts. What you could do is list the contracts in the order you want them used. The system would then first use banked points from any of those listed and then use points in the order of up-to-all points in first contract listed, then second contract, etc. until it had the total needed for trip.

Last edited:

No, it works that way when using your own points. in terms of choosing contract...never how many of each...just which contract to use first. But for transferred points, they never showed up online as a choice. That the part that is new and the OP mentioned getting transferred points.

The key is that once a trip is booked, there is no updating of points in reservations unless the owner does it. People have made that mistake when they banked points after they made a reservation, assuming the system would move those into a reservation automatically, only to find out later, after the trip, it did not.

No, it works that way when using your own points. in terms of choosing contract...never how many of each...just which contract to use first. But for transferred points, they never showed up online as a choice. That the part that is new and the OP mentioned getting transferred points.

The key is that once a trip is booked, there is no updating of points in reservations unless the owner does it. People have made that mistake when they banked points after they made a reservation, assuming the system would move those into a reservation automatically, only to find out later, after the trip, it did not.
Ahh..okay thanks.

Existing reservation with AKL in January.
I am hoping to rent points for transfer that I want used by that reservation, so I can use some of my points on a later reservation.

Is that automatic? Do I need to call?
Keep in mind that you can't break the home resort rule. If you booked with AKV points betwwen 7-11 months out, you can't substitute other points.

Keep in mind that you can't break the home resort rule. If you booked with AKV points betwwen 7-11 months out, you can't substitute other points.

I'm new to all this, so I may be misunderstanding some of the ins and outs. I thought I could book at my home resort at 11 months, then if I have points from a different resort, modify the reservation to switch them at 7 months. But only with banked or borrowed points in the non-home contract (I'm not really sure why on that).

I was looking at that as an advantage of having sleep around points in addition to my home resort.

I'm new to all this, so I may be misunderstanding some of the ins and outs. I thought I could book at my home resort at 11 months, then if I have points from a different resort, modify the reservation to switch them at 7 months. But only with banked or borrowed points in the non-home contract (I'm not really sure why on that).

I was looking at that as an advantage of having sleep around points in addition to my home resort.
If that works, it is a way around the home resort priority booking rule. (That would NOT be a good thing)!! It should only work if there is still availability for the original reservation.

If that works, it is a way around the home resort priority booking rule. (That would NOT be a good thing)!! It should only work if there is still availability for the original reservation.

Thanks! Good to know it will work if there's still availability and won't work if there isn't. I'm still unsure why it only works with banked or borrowed point in the non-home contract (and not those current year's points).

I feel like I've passed DVC 101 and now I'm moving on to the masters level class 🤣

It will not replace home resort bookings with banked or borrowed points unless there is still rooms at your home resort,

If there is nothing it forces you to use the home resort points because they lock the contract. That is why it won’t pull current points, If you want it to do that, you start fresh and don’t modify And book rooms at the beginning or end.

The improvement to the online system is that those nights do not have to be available at the beginning or end. If a night in the middle is free, then the system will pull banked or borrowed from non home resort. but only if banked or borrowed.

I have yet to be able to swap out home resort points when nothing is there.

Thanks! It's starting to make sense to me now.

Right now I only have points at one resort, but I plan to add resale SAP at another resort down the line. I'll probably need help from you guys again the first time I try this.

I'm so glad you all are so knowledgeable and helpful!

Thanks! It's starting to make sense to me now.

Right now I only have points at one resort, but I plan to add resale SAP at another resort down the line. I'll probably need help from you guys again the first time I try this.

I'm so glad you all are so knowledgeable and helpful!

The system makes it pretty simple now if you know there are nights and you have banked or borrowed points to use.

But at least now you know before buying that it is not a work around to just own elsewhere

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter