Point Maneuvering Question

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
Scenario:

OKW Sep U/Y
SSR Dec U/Y

I really want to use SSR points for a reservation at OKW, but ressie is more than 7 months away. If I go ahead and book using OKW points today, can I call at the 7-month window and have them use the SSR points and return the OKW points to me?

I would be borrowing the OKW points from Sep 2005 to make the ressie. The SSR points would be Dec 2004 points. If the Sep 2205 OKW points were returned to me, they would have to be used by Aug 2005, correct?

One thing, I did not mention, these points are in 2 different contracts with different member numbers.

This stuff does get confusing.

Originally posted by RweTHEREyet
Scenario:

OKW Sep U/Y
SSR Dec U/Y

I really want to use SSR points for a reservation at OKW, but ressie is more than 7 months away. If I go ahead and book using OKW points today, can I call at the 7-month window and have them use the SSR points and return the OKW points to me?
Only if there is still availability for the dates and room type. Essentially, MS will be cancelling the reservation made with the OKW points and making a new one with the SSR points. If there is anyone on the waitlist, your strategy will not work. This is only fair - to just "substitute" the SSR points would provide a way around the 11 month booking advantage.
I would be borrowing the OKW points from Sep 2005 to make the ressie. The SSR points would be Dec 2004 points. If the Sep 2205 OKW points were returned to me, they would have to be used by Aug 2005, correct?

This stuff does get confusing.

Yes, that is correct. Once borrowed, points cannot be returned to their original use year. If they are borrowed into your 2004 use year, they would have to be used by 8/31/2005 or they would be lost.

If you are borrowing '05 points for an '04 ressie, they become '04 points and will follow the '04 banking deadlines once they have been borrowed. For that reason, I would say (depending on when your ressie is for), that you would not be able to then bank those '05 points.

This is only fair - to just "substitute" the SSR points would provide a way around the 11 month booking advantage

You are so right and the thought occurred to me once I sent the post. I guess you don't always see what you want to do as a way to circumenvent the system when you are just trying to make most efficient use of your points.

Thanks for confirming for me.

Originally posted by dianeschlicht
If you are borrowing '05 points for an '04 ressie, they become '04 points and will follow the '04 banking deadlines once they have been borrowed. ...(snip)......

I don't think that is true.

My understanding is that once points are borrowed, they must be used by the end of their "new" use year. You cannot bank a borrowed point.

Originally posted by dianeschlicht
If you are borrowing '05 points for an '04 ressie, they become '04 points and will follow the '04 banking deadlines once they have been borrowed. For that reason, I would say (depending on when your ressie is for), that you would not be able to then bank those '05 points.
Just to clarify Diane's intent, if '05 points are borrowed, they are indeed converted to '04 points, but they do not follow '04 banking deadlines as they cannot be banked at all. They are frozen as '04 points and must be used by the end of the '04 use year.

Thanks,Bill. That is what I was trying to get across, but I was not stating it well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter