• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Point increases

mickey10171

Earning My Ears
Hello! My husband and I are planning to buy direct Riviera at some point this year. I know the April incentive is ending soon, but was wondering when Disney usually raises the price of points? Is it once per year in February typically?

TIA!

It seems to be several times a year now. With resale prices going crazy, IMO there will be more direct increases as they try to stay ahead of resale prices by 40% or so. RIV is unique with the resale restrictions and though I don't follow RIV resales but you can research here on the ROFR thread.

There really aren't any perks right now. AP's were the main draw but the future there is unknown. IMO DVC marketing is lacking any excitement but continues to find buyers at ever increasing prices. Many first timers finance which adds much more to the price. You are ahead of most of them as you are here checking it all out!

I always suggest doing lots of research and disboards is a great resource. Good luck!

Since they just raised the price of RIV, I don’t think we will see an increase until fall at the earliest.

IIRC, it started at $185...this is what I paid in November 2019..went to $195 about a year later, and then to $201 this past year.

Since they just raised the price of RIV, I don’t think we will see an increase until fall at the earliest.

IIRC, it started at $185...this is what I paid in November 2019..went to $195 about a year later, and then to $201 this past year.
Did they offer incentives when it first debuted? I know when we bought VGF when it was first available it had no incentives.

Yes. I paid $162 /point point for 175 but I got an additional $1000 discount because my DD was a CM at that time.

So, if don’t count that, it would have been $167
Were there any additional restrictions placed on the contract because of the CM discount? I vaguely recall (from years ago), that contracts purchased by CMs had some restrictions on selling that were not in the contracts for others. But maybe with Riviera, those are now moot.

There hasn't been a hike since they started the process of dismantling Reflections. Now there's no WDW construction to come after RIV, so Disney is in no rush to sell RIV. There never was a real schedule, but I think price increases soon will be often and significant. Maybe your crystal ball is different than mine.

Which was a factor why I just added on more VGF points. Resale VGF prices for points less than 100 are approaching or at $200/pt. I just purchased direct a small contract at $255/pt. While that was a hard pill to swallow. I dont see the prices coming down resale, at least for VGF. And wanted to get in before the next direct price increase.

Were there any additional restrictions placed on the contract because of the CM discount? I vaguely recall (from years ago), that contracts purchased by CMs had some restrictions on selling that were not in the contracts for others. But maybe with Riviera, those are now moot.

I know that was posted about. Was it that if you had gotten a CM discount on the points you had to sell back to DVC if you no longer wanted the contracts at some fixed price? I think the discounts were much greater at that time though.

Nope. The contract has nothing regarding that and my DD was not asked to sign or agree to anything with terms like that outside of the documents we all signed to buy.

She only had to provide a copy of of her ID. Of course, she unfortunately is no longer with Disney since Broadway is still shut down.

There hasn't been a hike since they started the process of dismantling Reflections. Now there's no WDW construction to come after RIV, so Disney is in no rush to sell RIV. There never was a real schedule, but I think price increases soon will be often and significant. Maybe your crystal ball is different than mine.

I just don't see how, with the exception of California, they can keep hiking the prices. I was shocked when they went over $200. But at some point it gets really hard to justify the initial costs, let alone the yearly maintenance. We are about to go, and even with the room paid for, I have sticker shock with all the other expenses that I have now obligated us to yearly - MF, tickets, food, travel, etc... And that's from someone who bought resale and doesn't have a loan to pay.... I just feel like they are going to hit a point (surprised they haven't already) that people just can't afford it all and opt for value or off property.

I just don't see how, with the exception of California, they can keep hiking the prices. I was shocked when they went over $200. But at some point it gets really hard to justify the initial costs, let alone the yearly maintenance. We are about to go, and even with the room paid for, I have sticker shock with all the other expenses that I have now obligated us to yearly - MF, tickets, food, travel, etc... And that's from someone who bought resale and doesn't have a loan to pay.... I just feel like they are going to hit a point (surprised they haven't already) that people just can't afford it all and opt for value or off property.

100% agree, I don't know how DVC does it, able to maintain direct pricing so high, and still going higher.

As for the OP, obviously buy only when financially ready, but if you are dead set on direct points only, and will end up buying later anyways, buying now will probably than cheaper in the future, it only gets more and more expensive as time moves on.

Until DVC hit the crashing point, direct pricing aren't coming down anytime soon, if ever.

Great3

I know that was posted about. Was it that if you had gotten a CM discount on the points you had to sell back to DVC if you no longer wanted the contracts at some fixed price? I think the discounts were much greater at that time though.
Yes, I think that was it. I see that @Sandisw's Riviera contract didn't include it, so sounds like it's no longer applicable.

I'd argue all but the very worst DVC deals come out positive against cash rates. As long as that is true, there will be buyers. Poly has buildings full of people paying $800/night.

When you keep that as the relevant comparison, the prices have a long way to climb.

But to maintain this, I do believe staying onsite has to have some kind of benefit, after EMH and FastPass is gone. I mean, a headstart in the ROTR queue, something!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter