Please tell me there is a way around this?!

amystevekai&bump

DIS Veteran
hi all,

I've just booked tickets to the Early Magic Morning for our arrival day in August.

My first issue is getting to the MK - we are checking in to the Polynesian that day, so I'd thought we would just drive straight there, park and catch the monorail over to the park. However, I've just read that the monorail often starts later than 7am on Tuesdays (the day we are talking about!) - what would you suggest we do? Catch the ferry?

Secondly, and quite possibly a more difficult problem to overcome, we've bought annual passes which we need to collect from Guest Services - will they be open at 7.30am in time for us to collect them and get in to the park for EMM?

We're paying a lot of money for the EMM so I want to make sure we are there ready to go in with everyone else - so if there is a solution to this problem, what time would you aim on arriving at the Poly in order to get it all sorted? We are staying at the Portofino Bay in Universal the night before, so I'm guessing we'll need to leave there very early?

Many thanks for any advice/suggestions!

Is there any chance that you could go to Disney Springs the night before and pick up your APs from guest services there? Then why not just drive direct to MK and park there and check in later? You get free parking why not!

Is there any chance that you could go to Disney Springs the night before and pick up your APs from guest services there? Then why not just drive direct to MK and park there and check in later? You get free parking why not!
Still have to park at the ttc if you go "direct" to MK and still take either the monorail it the ferry or (very occasionally) a bus to MK itself.

I'd thought about going to Disney Springs beforehand, and if that's the only option I guess we could - although we would prefer not to as that would take us away from our limited time at Universal:sad2:. Would we all need to be present?(my sons are 12 & 9 and if they could stay at universal with their Grandma who already has her ticket, whilst DH & I drove to disney springs, then that would ease the situation somewhat!)

I had thought long and hard about booking the EMM as it's obviously an expensive add on for five of us - but now I'm thinking the added inconvenience might make it even more costly - I should have just thought harder for five minutes more! ( I literally realised the ticketing issue right after I booked:rolleyes1)

I'd second doing the AP exchange at Disney Springs the night before if you can get over there but staying at Poly should be an advantage - if the resort monorail isn't running, just walk over to the TTC & either the express monorail or the ferry will already be going...and the guest services windows will be open, they want to get people into the park just as much as we want to be there, lol ;)

I'd thought about going to Disney Springs beforehand, and if that's the only option I guess we could - although we would prefer not to as that would take us away from our limited time at Universal:sad2:. Would we all need to be present?(my sons are 12 & 9 and if they could stay at universal with their Grandma who already has her ticket, whilst DH & I drove to disney springs, then that would ease the situation somewhat!)

I had thought long and hard about booking the EMM as it's obviously an expensive add on for five of us - but now I'm thinking the added inconvenience might make it even more costly - I should have just thought harder for five minutes more! ( I literally realised the ticketing issue right after I booked:rolleyes1)
I think you'll be fine, maybe add 1/2 hour to your timing if you want to do the APs in the morning & I'd bet it will take less - it only took us about 20 min & that was at night just before Wishes after all the TTC windows were closed so it was just one long line at the outside MK guest services window & 3 CMs working

ETA: it might be worth intentionally going through the TTC just because they have multiple lines & ticket booths there so you're less likely to get held up behind people with ticket/magicband issues, which seemed to be what slowed up the line for us

I would think you do all have to be present for your APs. Can you reschedule the EMM for another day?

I'd second doing the AP exchange at Disney Springs the night before if you can get over there but staying at Poly should be an advantage - if the resort monorail isn't running, just walk over to the TTC & either the express monorail or the ferry will already be going...and the guest services windows will be open, they want to get people into the park just as much as we want to be there, lol ;)

Thank you - hopefully just before we go I can speak to Disney to check if the Guest Services window will be open, otherwise we'll just bite the bullet and go to Disney Springs - do you know whether the Guest Services is open into the evening there? As if the two of us can go in the evening, then the boys could always chill in the room watching TV with my mom!

ETA - do you happen to know whether the annual pass is activated from collection day or the date we first use it? (We are planning a return trip next August and that would effect things if it's based on collection date) - sorry to be a pain, I feel like I should already know these things!!

Thanks again for posting

Thank you - hopefully just before we go I can speak to Disney to check if the Guest Services window will be open, otherwise we'll just bite the bullet and go to Disney Springs - do you know whether the Guest Services is open into the evening there? As if the two of us can go in the evening, then the boys could always chill in the room watching TV with my mom!

Thanks for posting
Yep, Disney Spring's GS is open in the evening & usually pretty empty too! We were all together when we did our exchange but I'd guess they could probably do it without the kids, it's not like they have ID anyway & there's no picture or anything for the AP...so they're pretty much going on your word either way

I think you'll be fine, maybe add 1/2 hour to your timing if you want to do the APs in the morning & I'd bet it will take less - it only took us about 20 min & that was at night just before Wishes after all the TTC windows were closed so it was just one long line at the outside MK guest services window & 3 CMs working

ETA: it might be worth intentionally going through the TTC just because they have multiple lines & ticket booths there so you're less likely to get held up behind people with ticket/magicband issues, which seemed to be what slowed up the line for us

Thank you, that's a big help.

Yep, Disney Spring's GS is open in the evening & usually pretty empty too! We were all together when we did our exchange but I'd guess they could probably do it without the kids, it's not like they have ID anyway & there's no picture or anything for the AP...so they're pretty much going on your word either way

Great news! I think if we end up going to DS we might make an evening of it - at least that way it will feel more like a proper outing rather than an inconvenient detour!! Lol!! Thank you.

ETA - do you happen to know whether the annual pass is activated from collection day or the date we first use it? (We are planning a return trip next August and that would effect things if it's based on collection date) - sorry to be a pain, I feel like I should already know these things!!

Thanks again for posting
It starts from the first use to enter a park & it's not being a pain at all, there's SO much info & not so many knowledgeable sources (including many of WDW's own employees, lol) ;)

Great news! I think if we end up going to DS we might make an evening of it - at least that way it will feel more like a proper outing rather than an inconvenient detour!! Lol!! Thank you.
Happy to help! If you want to make an outing out of it, be sure to look into dinner at T-Rex or Rainforest Cafe - you get 10% off with an AP or can do even better by joining Landry's Select Club plus they're both fun restaurants for the kids! Wolfgang Puck Express also has an 10% AP discount & yummy quick serve food ;)

It starts from the first use to enter a park & it's not being a pain at all, there's SO much info & not so many knowledgeable sources (including many of WDW's own employees, lol) ;)
Thank you!

One more question (I promise it's the last one for today!!) - I suppose I won't get our magic bands until we've checked in to the Poly in the afternoon? Or can we collect those at Guest Services? If not, I assume we will we just scan our annual passes to use our FP+ reservations later in the morning, is that right?

(We've only used Fp+ once before and it was after we'd checked in to our hotel and already been issued with the magic bands!!)

Happy to help! If you want to make an outing out of it, be sure to look into dinner at T-Rex or Rainforest Cafe - you get 10% off with an AP or can do even better by joining Landry's Select Club plus they're both fun restaurants for the kids! Wolfgang Puck Express also has an 10% AP discount & yummy quick serve food ;)

Sounds like a great plan! Thank you x

Thank you!

One more question (I promise it's the last one for today!!) - I suppose I won't get our magic bands until we've checked in to the Poly in the afternoon? Or can we collect those at Guest Services? If not, I assume we will we just scan our annual passes to use our FP+ reservations later in the morning, is that right?

(We've only used Fp+ once before and it was after we'd checked in to our hotel and already been issued with the magic bands!!)
Are you international? If not, you should get your magicbands for your resort stay mailed to you a few weeks before the trip. The passholder bands don't show up to customize until after you've exchanged & then take 2 days to ship after you customize them so unless you do it on vacay & have them shipped to the resort, you won't have those for the first trip with APs

Thanks again for posting
I'm pretty sure your AP start date begins when you ACTIVATE the pass at guest services or wherever you do that. I found this quote from a previous thread.

"First, the OP is asking about RENEWING an AP (which is different than just buying a new AP.)

1. A guest cannot use an AP unlessit is "activated."
A new AP must be activated by going to a Guest Relations or ticket booth location and the CM will issue a working AP card to the guest. (The guest can also use a MagicBand for park entry after activating the AP.)
The guest might or might not actually begin using that AP (by going into a park) at that time.
Even if the guest does not go into a park, the AP is still "ticking down" starting on the day that it was activated.

2. What you bought in January was a new AP "voucher."
3. You went to a Guest Relations or ticket booth and had the AP "activated" which included showing a legal photo ID.
Then, you could go into the park. And, yes that AP would be good for a year for the date
that it was activated. (Actually, "a year and a day," in most cases.)
4. Not all APs have blackout dates."

This comes from a reliable source on these boards - ROBO.

Thank you!

Since you're UK, you won't get your Magicbands until you check in at Poly but your AP cards will work just fine until you can get over there although I'd recommend stopping by to check in first - the walk from Poly to TTC is quite short & maybe you'll get a room ready text while you're at EMM, then you'd be able to go straight to your room afterward! (And not have to move the car, if you have one)

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter